Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 02:56 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Athletics' proposed site for a new ballpark near an Oakland community college has fallen through.

A statement from the board of the Peralta Community College District said the board had directed the chancellor to discontinue talks about a possible stadium near Laney College.

"We are shocked by Peralta's decision to not move forward," the A's said in a statement Wednesday. "All we wanted to do was enter into a conversation about how to make this work for all of Oakland, Laney, and the Peralta Community College District. We are disappointed that we will not have that opportunity."
Proposed site for Oakland Athletics ballpark falls through

Geez this has been frustrating....there was the Hayward Stadium.....that fell apart. There was the attempted move to San Jose....blocked by the Giants. And now this is the second Oakland location proposal which has come to nothing after lengthy negotiations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 06:07 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,393 times
Nm

Old 12-13-2017, 12:53 PM

665 posts, read 612,865 times
The A's will probably end up moving out the East Bay to another state. I thought of all of the teams in the Oakland area the A's would be the last one standing since baseball attendance revenue has the higher potential to bring in tax revenue through parking lot fees, etc. than the other sports especially football.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:12 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,030 times
Would Sacramento be a possibility?

Old 12-29-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Would Sacramento be a possibility?
Sacramento has just under 500,000 as its population, not enough people to support a modern MLB franchise.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:23 AM

979 posts, read 2,092,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Sacramento has just under 500,000 as its population, not enough people to support a modern MLB franchise.
Sacramento's city population is bigger than several MLB cities including Oakland's, Pittsburgh, Miami, Minneapolis, Atlanta and St. Louis. The problem is the metro area is a lot smaller than those cities, plus there are zero corporate headquarters, therefore supporting a baseball franchise from a financial standpoint is difficult.

Sac recently built an arena for the Kings, and have their eyes on an MLS team. Even if the A's wanted to come here, I don't know where the money would come from building a stadium.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:08 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Right now the Las Vegas Aces seem like a real possibility. The green ($) and gold (pot of gold picture here) colors will work perfectly in their new logo.

The "odds" of this happening are getting better.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:40 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,830 times
Once the Raiders move, the A’s should just build on the Coliseum site. Good freeway access and BART station already in place.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Once the Raiders move, the A’s should just build on the Coliseum site. Good freeway access and BART station already in place.
That isn't a bad idea. I have never had a big problem with the Coliseum, location, parking, public transportation...all quite satisfactory. It was a nice looking place as well until the erection of Mount Davis. The need for a new stadium is less a matter of its adequacy for regular fans, rather it is its in-adaptability for luxury boxes where huge revenue opportunities await. That means nothing to me since I'm not the sort who can afford a luxury box, but it means a lot in terms of the A's boosting their revenues to a more competitive level.

Candlestick Park had a lot more shortcomings than the Coliseum, yet when it was there I used to go to a dozen or more Giants games each season. Once AT&T opened, fans like me who aren't season ticket buyers, were shut out from being able to buy decent seats. The few times that I went there I was in the nose bleed bleachers which are great for sweeping views of the city and bay, but not so great for following the ballgame.

I fear that the same fate awaits ordinary A's fans if they ever do get a new venue. It will price out the regular Coliseum attendees.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:18 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Right now the Las Vegas Aces seem like a real possibility. The green ($) and gold (pot of gold picture here) colors will work perfectly in their new logo.

The "odds" of this happening are getting better.
I have just the spot for the stadium, and it's about 15 minutes from my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball