Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 05:14 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

Bonds only played over 145 games in 2 of his last 9 seasons....but the current environment is definitely quite different .
In Bonds last nine seasons he went from age 34 to 43. Stanton has been missing big chunks of time while going from age 20 to age 28. The two season where he missed the most time were his ages 25 and 26 seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 05:19 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

I expect Stanton to break the single season homer mark..at LEAST once. I expect him to have his 500th HR before the age of 33. We are looking at a guy just entering peak production years (28-32) historically.
We don't know that hitting 74 home runs in one season without steroids, is even possible. The no PEDs record is still 61.

Historically players have peaked between the ages of 27 through 30. At 31 you are already on the wrong side of the averages. Not everyone peaks at the same time, but going by the average, Stanton has three seasons remaining in his prime.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:39 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
We don't know that hitting 74 home runs in one season without steroids, is even possible. The no PEDs record is still 61.

Historically players have peaked between the ages of 27 through 30. At 31 you are already on the wrong side of the averages. Not everyone peaks at the same time, but going by the average, Stanton has three seasons remaining in his prime.
I would love to see Vegas set odds of any team winning at least 1 WS in the next 5 years.

If they did, NYY should rank first.

Magnificent move.

PS: All long-term deals stink in outer years, but I prefer when teams buy their best shots in the next 5 years, trading the bad affects of the deal years 6-10. As opposed to stinking for all 10 years, or being a WC team 2 or 3 times in 10 years, with no hopes of the ring or trophy realistically.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:07 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Not this time. The nucleus of the team Stanton is joining was home grown. He is what will put them over the finish line faster. But they had more weapons from minors coming behind Judge.
Bankees being the Bankees..its an old story by now. Get a superstar for nothing but CASH AND A FEW THROW INS...WE GET IT.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Bankees being the Bankees..its an old story by now. Get a superstar for nothing but CASH AND A FEW THROW INS...WE GET IT.
Jeter was determined to dump his franchise.

Does not change fact NYY was on the upswing, with great drafted talent like they showed last year.

I wish my Mets would spend MONEY. Even Yanks will have to spend more to keep home grown talent like Sanchez & Judge, plus Bird, long term.

Startled by this move, but I tip my cap to the Pinstripes, who came out of nowhere and got it done.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Jeter was determined to dump his franchise.

Does not change fact NYY was on the upswing, with great drafted talent like they showed last year.

I wish my Mets would spend MONEY. Even Yanks will have to spend more to keep home grown talent like Sanchez & Judge, plus Bird, long term.

Startled by this move, but I tip my cap to the Pinstripes, who came out of nowhere and got it done.
Bankees being Bankees...all about the payroll. LOL get under the salary cap my ass...

As is obvious...If yankees win, they make a crap load of money thus they dont care about going over the cap..a vicious cycle that destroys all but the top payrolls.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Bankees being Bankees...all about the payroll. LOL get under the salary cap my ass...

As is obvious...If yankees win, they make a crap load of money thus they dont care about going over the cap..a vicious cycle that destroys all but the top payrolls.
In the last 2 decades, plenty of unspectacular payroll teams excelled. KC won 2015 WS under $113 million. Mets were at $101. MLB avg 2015 $125 mill.

Now I wish the Players Union wised up, and negotiated the NHL model, which has a MINIMUM team payroll.

Marlins should be eliminated as a franchise IMO. A perpetual "pretend" franchise who puts minor league talent on the field.

Mets are not much better btw. I was hoping Katz (the in law) would sell his share, which could only get top $ as voting stock (its non voting now), and the sale would push Wilpons out.

Big contracts are NOT an MLB problem. Small minded ownership groups are.

Jeter is Peter Loria II.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
In the last 2 decades, plenty of unspectacular payroll teams excelled. KC won 2015 WS under $113 million. Mets were at $101. MLB avg 2015 $125 mill.

Now I wish the Players Union wised up, and negotiated the NHL model, which has a MINIMUM team payroll.

Marlins should be eliminated as a franchise IMO. A perpetual "pretend" franchise who puts minor league talent on the field.

Mets are not much better btw. I was hoping Katz (the in law) would sell his share, which could only get top $ as voting stock (its non voting now), and the sale would push Wilpons out.

Big contracts are NOT an MLB problem. Small minded ownership groups are.

Jeter is Peter Loria II.
I agree on the fire sale crap the Marlins played. But you see what happened to those teams? They are quickly dismantled because they cant or won't afford to keep their players. Those fans lose..EVERY time. A big Bankee payroll is what you need ..

Old 12-09-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I agree on the fire sale crap the Marlins played. But you see what happened to those teams? They are quickly dismantled because they cant or won't afford to keep their players. Those fans lose..EVERY time. A big Bankee payroll is what you need ..
Teams need to move out of itty bitty markets.

MLB is a great TV sport. The only one that fills a network 7 months annually, which means tremendous local tv rights.

Simply put, MLB teams belong in the largest tv markets conducive to their sport.

Many teams exist in regions that are remnants of when the gate revenue ruled. Those days, just like the horse and buggy, are past.

I HATE the luxury tax, and revenue sharing. Take it away, and teams in bad markets, MOVE willingly as they should.

There should be MORE big Bankee teams. This is the 21st century.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Teams need to move out of itty bitty markets.

MLB is a great TV sport. The only one that fills a network 7 months annually, which means tremendous local tv rights.

Simply put, MLB teams belong in the largest tv markets conducive to their sport.

Many teams exist in regions that are remnants of when the gate revenue ruled. Those days, just like the horse and buggy, are past.

I HATE the luxury tax, and revenue sharing. Take it away, and teams in bad markets, MOVE willingly as they should.

There should be MORE big Bankee teams. This is the 21st century.
No matter, baseball in 20 years is going to have a big problem anyway..no young folks are watching! The elephant is in the room and they are ignoring it.

Meanwhile the Bankees can keep on spending..we all get their game. Why they are hated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball