Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 06:48 AM

29,526 posts, read 22,708,719 times

Advertisements

I still cannot understand why these Japanese ball players command such a premium and bidding war among some major league teams.

Japanese baseball is way behind the MLB in terms of talent and level.

He seems like another MLB bust in the making from overseas. Sure he may need some time to adjust, but he was signed with the intent of making an impact from day one and throughout the season and possibly playoffs.

https://sports.yahoo.com/verdict-sho...023611674.html

Quote:
They want to be wrong. For the sake of baseball, they want Shohei Ohtani to blossom into a true two-way player, a starting pitcher extraordinaire and power-hitting dynamo, a multinational marketing sensation. They want their eyes – the ones that have seen Ohtani this spring and believe he cannot hit at the major league level today – to be lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 12:17 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,305,774 times
To early to tell at this point, however he was brought here to pitch, anything else is a plus. One major risk with him getting a lot of at bats, it increases his chance of getting hit by a pitch. He is a RH pitcher but a left handed hitter exposing his throwing arm towards the front of the plate.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,156,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
To early to tell at this point, however he was brought here to pitch, anything else is a plus.
The Angels are readjusting their staff to be a six man rotation for the specific purpose of being able to get Ohtani's bat in the lineup on other days, so clearly the club is expecting him to also be a hitter... or at least it was until they saw him trying to hit ML pitching.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:22 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,349,925 times
He has been in the States for all of a month-plus. He is adjusting not only to the major league game, but also to an entirely different country and culture. I'm not ready to write him off as a hitter just yet.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:48 AM

834 posts, read 530,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I still cannot understand why these Japanese ball players command such a premium and bidding war among some major league teams.

He seems like another MLB bust in the making from overseas.

Do you understand now??

Old 07-06-2021, 11:38 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,021,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
Do you understand now??
I believe we all do.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:46 PM

3,839 posts, read 4,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
Do you understand now??
Yeah this thread aged well lol

Old 07-10-2021, 08:22 AM

3,839 posts, read 4,451,133 times
A few thoughts on Ohtani:
What he is doing this season is beyond amazing. I feel blessed that I'm alive to witness it. If he does end up leading the league in HRs and gets to 10 wins as a pitcher (outside chance of that happening, but one can hope), then that has to go down as one of the top ten achievements of the decade, heck even century.

All that being said, I can't help but wonder if he just might be baseball's version of Russell Westbrook. Westbrook averaged a triple double in the NBA, something that had not been done for 50 years. It was definitely a moment to admire. He even won the MVP for it, even though his team was 6th or something and was definitely not a title contender. He proceeded to average a triple double in 4 more seasons after that yet his team would regularly get bounced in either the first or second round of the playoffs each year. It said something that his team, small market OKC that had lost great players over the years, was happy to trade him even though he was happy to stay. They realized that these historical stats were doing nothing for the team in terms of winning.

I think if the Angels want to actually be relevant as far as winning goes, then this double duty is not going to be the way. Hitting is clearly Ohtani's stronger suit, and as strictly a hitter he can be a 45-60 hr a year man who also hits for average. Pretty nice to have.
But if the Angels want to win, then they need Ohtani to ditch the hitting and be strictly a pitcher. He has the tools to be a 20 game winning, Cy Young contending pitcher. And we all know that pitching is what wins championships. The Angels have had arguably the best hitter in baseball for a decade and nothing to show for it. Getting a potentially great pitcher would give Trout a chance to taste consistent playoff ball. So I'm cheering from the rooftops for Ohtani's season right now, but hope that this is the last one as he does what it takes to win.

Old 07-10-2021, 08:36 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,423,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

He seems like another MLB bust in the making from overseas. Sure he may need some time to adjust, but he was signed with the intent of making an impact from day one and throughout the season and possibly playoffs.

https://sports.yahoo.com/verdict-sho...023611674.html
It's called.....SCOUTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2021, 09:30 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,305,774 times
This may be premature, but Ohtani could be on the way from taking the "best in the game" label from his team-mate Mike Trout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball