Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2022, 01:38 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times

Advertisements

Article in today's NY Times on the attendance woes of the Oakland A's and related issues of possible relocation or new stadium in Oakland, etc.

Excerpt: "On one quiet night earlier this month, fewer than 3,000 fans attended an Athletics game. It was so vacant and tranquil at the bulky, old coliseum that ... "

That article led to a 3-year-old article on the NY Times, "The Beauty of America’s Ugliest Ballpark" about the Oakland Coliseum and it's history.

Excerpt: "When the Oakland Coliseum opened in 1966, it was hailed as a Brutalist gem that could house two sports in an elegantly simple, circular design. A half-century later, it is perhaps America’s most hated sports stadium. Players and coaches deride it. The Oakland Raiders are fleeing it. The lights are breaking, mice are dying in the soda machines, and the sewage that sometimes floods the dugouts has its own Twitter account. Even these pages have called it “a bland, charmless concrete monstrosity” that “isn’t worthy of preservation.” Now, after more than a decade of searching, the Oakland Athletics are forging ahead on an exit plan to escape to a gleaming new waterfront ballpark, complete with a gondola to ferry fans to and from the nearby transit station. The stadium would be the latest in a 30-year wave of major league ballparks that saw 24 of the league’s 30 teams move into new homes. Most have been intimate, downtown stadiums that mix retro aesthetics with modern comforts, like leather recliners, beer gardens and a swimming pool."

Some people love the old ballpark, the comments give a variety of opinions.

NY Times is a paywall site . . . but IIRC they do allow a few free article per month . . . enjoy ....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 01:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
I remember going to the indoor part for events the year it opened, 1966, even brand new it wasn't much to look at. I also went to the first season of A's baseball there in 1968, the year I got my driver's license. My wife and I dated at A's games, $3 bleachers seats, and I worked in Oakland for 17 years and often would go to games after work. Apparently now despite the feral cats, it's being plagued by opossums! Oakland has already lost enough teams, I hope the City can get it together and work out a plan for a new stadium before the A's leave too. I

https://whitecleatbeat.com/2022/05/1...kland-as-home/

Old 05-19-2022, 09:37 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I remember going to the indoor part for events the year it opened, 1966, even brand new it wasn't much to look at. I also went to the first season of A's baseball there in 1968, the year I got my driver's license. My wife and I dated at A's games, $3 bleachers seats, and I worked in Oakland for 17 years and often would go to games after work. Apparently now despite the feral cats, it's being plagued by opossums! Oakland has already lost enough teams, I hope the City can get it together and work out a plan for a new stadium before the A's leave too. I

https://whitecleatbeat.com/2022/05/1...kland-as-home/
Different strokes for different folks.

I also started going to games in 1968.

My dad took me to every post season game between 1971 and 1975 (but my first in person MLB games were the 1962 World Series/Giants vs. Yankees games in San Francisco).

I'm a Bay Area native, and my roots in the Bay Area go back to the first 1000 residents of San Francisco (San Francisco had a population of 1000 at the beginning of 1849, and my great, great, great grandparents arrived in 1847).

And I'm still an A's fan.

However, I hope the A's move to Las Vegas and get a new stadium in Las Vegas.

Old 05-30-2022, 06:31 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
... my first in person MLB games were the 1962 World Series/Giants vs. Yankees games in San Francisco ...
If that game was highly memorable for you then please consider telling us about it in this thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-29-2022, 05:17 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Different strokes for different folks.

I also started going to games in 1968.

My dad took me to every post season game between 1971 and 1975 (but my first in person MLB games were the 1962 World Series/Giants vs. Yankees games in San Francisco).

I'm a Bay Area native, and my roots in the Bay Area go back to the first 1000 residents of San Francisco (San Francisco had a population of 1000 at the beginning of 1849, and my great, great, great grandparents arrived in 1847).

And I'm still an A's fan.

However, I hope the A's move to Las Vegas and get a new stadium in Las Vegas.
From what he said today on SiriusXM, it looks like the commissioner thinks that will happen, along with the Rays getting a new ballpark in Tampa.

re both.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-for-las-vegas

Old 12-27-2022, 11:24 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,662,025 times
It will be a shame to see Oakland lose all three of its teams but probably for the best. There is not enough sports interest in the Bay Area to support two MLB teams, and local politics will stonewall a downtown ballpark for even more years that they already have (if the ownership even has interest).

Old 03-30-2023, 12:01 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,481,580 times
Default 2023: 0-0

Best Case: They have a power threat in Jesus Aguilar, a shortstop that can pick the ball in Aledmys Diaz, and Seth Brown who has some pop, but that’s about it. Opening Day at the Coliseum will be rocking, so I guess that’s a positive.

Worst Case: How much longer does this team remain in Oakland?? They’ll have close to, if not a sell out, on Thursday, and probably get 5,000 if they are lucky on Friday. Who else will they trade between now and August 2?? Brown and Ramon Laureano probably already have 1.5 feet out the door, and I’m sure if Aguilar even has an ounce of power, the A’s will dump him off on some playoff contender to use as a DH/1b.

Prediction: I’ve been wrong before, and teams come out of nowhere (2022 Mariners, 2019 Nationals) but I can’t see any way, or any path forward for this team to get into the playoffs, even with 2 extra playoff teams. In any event Mark Kotsay will get the guys to compete, and play to win, but they just don’t have the players to win consistently enough to win enough games to be relevant by September. First of 3 games against the Halos at the Coliseum is how they will kick off the season; Kyle Muller (1-1, 8.03 last year in limited action) starts for the A’s, while the Angels give the ball to Shohei Ohtani (15-9, 2.33) fresh off his WBC championship for Japan. Game time slated for 10:07, but 7:07 in Oakland, but since I do these recaps in the Eastern time zone, I will be using Eastern time for all recaps.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:07 PM

Default 1-0

Angels 1 @ A’s 2.

Mike Trout and Shohei Ohtani lead off the 4th with a walk and single respectively, but the Angels got nothing from that as Anthony Rendon followed with a fly out, Hunter Renfroe with a line out, and Luis Rengifo ended the inning with a force. Aledmys Diaz had a 1 out single, Seth Brown followed with a double, but Ohtani got Jesus Aguilar & Ramon Laureano to strike out to end that A’s threat. Gio Urshela had a 1 out single in the 5th went to second on a throwing error by Tony Kemp, went to 3rd on a wild pitch, and scored on a Logan O’Hoppe single. Taylor Ward had a 1 out single in the 8th, he stole second, Ohtani was intentionally walked following a Trout fly out before Rendon ended the inning with a strike out. Esteury Ruiz lead off the 8th with a single, a Kemp double scored Ruiz tying the score, Brent Rooker pinch hitting for Conner Capel struck out, Diaz gave the A’s the lead with a single scoring Kemp, Brown followed with a single moving the pinch runner Nick Allen to 3rd, Brown followed with a steal of second, Aguilar was intentionally walked to load the bases, but Laureano grounded into a double play to end the inning and keep it at 2-1 heading to the 9th. Kyle Muller allowed 1 run on 4 hits with a walk and 3 strikeouts in 5 innings, Trevor May (1-0) had a hit, walk, and strikeout in a scoreless inning of work, and Dany Jimenez (1st save) had a walk and a strikeout in a hitless 9th. Ohtani allowed 3 walks, 2 hits with 10 strikeouts in 6 scoreless innings, Jimmy Herget (1st hold) had a strikeout in a 1-2-3 7th inning, and Aaron Loup (0-1, 1st blown save) allowed 2 runs on 2 hits with a walk in 2/3’s inning of work.

The teams will enjoy a rare Friday off by the bay and return to action on Saturday. Shintaro Fujinami (ML debut) will get the start for the A’s after applying his trade in Japan for the last handful of years, while the Angels will give the ball to Patrick Sandoval (6-9, 2.91 in ’22) with game time slated for 4:07. In other west action from Friday, the Astros lose to the White Sox 3-2, Rangers outslugged the Phillies 11-7 and the Mariners beat Cleveland 3-0. Oakland, Texas & Seattle are 1-0, Angels and Astros are 0-1.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:37 PM

Default 1-2

They got lucky winning the game on Thursday, they didn't get quite as lucky the next 2 games. Homestand continues with 3 games against Cleveland before they hit the road for the first time to Tampa on Friday.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
They got lucky winning the game on Thursday, they didn't get quite as lucky the next 2 games. Homestand continues with 3 games against Cleveland before they hit the road for the first time to Tampa on Friday.
Yet all hope is not lost, they are ahead of the Mariners at least today, who many have picked to go to the World Series!

I think a lot of interest in baseball (and even other sports) is in the stadium. Even when the Mariners suck people go there for the experience of the stadium, despite now being 24 years old. In fact the MLB is having the 2023 Allstar game here at T-Mobile Park, for the second time.

I too hope the As can move to a place where they are appreciated and have a decent place to play. Maybe then ownership will let them keep their good players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball