Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 08:39 AM

33,590 posts, read 12,794,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Grandstander was primarily a Giants fan, but he did like the A’s too as a Bay Area resident. I knew him and his postings going all the way back to a site called Baseballboards.com (later Fanhome.com) in the late 90s….he was always very intelligent & well-reasoned on every subject which he posted. RIP

Anyway, bumping this back because the owners voted to officially allow the team to move to Vegas. I guess it’s time to start a thread with a new team name:
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...as-sources-say
Interesting that a teachers union in Nevada can still throw a monkey wrench into the plans.

I hope that doesn't happen.

I look forward to the move.

I heard A's President Dave Kaval interviewed today, and he mentioned they will play in the Coliseum in '24 (not surprising as that is the last year of their lease), and that there will then be several options (both in NV and CA) for '25, '26, and ''27.

I'll be in the Bay Area for at least a bit of '24, sow I plan to go to at least one game at the Coliseum. I remember going to games as a kid in the first year there ('68).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2023, 12:40 AM

585 posts, read 532,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It’s a good excuse for me to finally be done with baseball. The owners of the team for the past 25 years never wanted to make Oakland work, and for some reason sports owners still think taxpayers should be paying for their stadiums. I’ll still have good memories of the players and teams I saw play when they were there.
I am done with MLB and that seems to be the general consensus of East Bay sports fans. To be fair, Oakland did not make it easy for the A's. They have lost all their teams in the span of 10 years. Pretty pathetic.

Old 02-07-2024, 06:07 AM

9,765 posts, read 10,019,312 times
The mayor of Las Vegas has come out against the A's moving to the Tropicana site, saying it's too small and too much traffic.

She mentioned that a North Las Vegas site is better, but overall she said for the A's to work out something with Oakland.

Old 02-07-2024, 06:52 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,613,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The mayor of Las Vegas has come out against the A's moving to the Tropicana site, saying it's too small and too much traffic.

She mentioned that a North Las Vegas site is better, but overall she said for the A's to work out something with Oakland.
She also backtracked on the statement since it was nothing more than posturing. This is such a a win-win for both sides. Vegas is one sport away from having major league teams in all the major American sports (shy of only an NBA team). The A's, that were never given any real support in Oakland, will get locals and tourists rooting for them or the opposing teams. It's a great recipe for filling up seats. I couldn't be happier for them. Oakland doesn't deserve them.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
She also backtracked on the statement since it was nothing more than posturing. This is such a a win-win for both sides. Vegas is one sport away from having major league teams in all the major American sports (shy of only an NBA team). The A's, that were never given any real support in Oakland, will get locals and tourists rooting for them or the opposing teams. It's a great recipe for filling up seats. I couldn't be happier for them. Oakland doesn't deserve them.

I agree ^^^^^.....And I've been a fan since they came to Oakland for the 1968 Season....And I was born in a hospital Oakland, my parents were both born in hospitals in Oakland....etc .

Old 02-16-2024, 08:03 AM

I just saw this on ESPN.com (it was posted to ESPN.com last night)....,

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...cal-government.

^^^^^ Potentially more temporary time in Oakland before completion of the new stadium.

Old 02-17-2024, 09:54 AM

Front runner to host the A's for 2025/2026/2027 may now be Sacramento:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...me/ar-BB1iqoe8

Old 02-17-2024, 10:42 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,613,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Front runner to host the A's for 2025/2026/2027 may now be Sacramento:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...me/ar-BB1iqoe8
Thanks for the info. I assumed they would just play at Las Vegas ballpark where the Aviators play

Old 02-18-2024, 09:02 AM

MLB commissioner Manfred gives his blessing re Las Vegas:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...5&sc=shoreline

It isn't mentioned in the link, but I'm guessing the commissioner may have been motivated to comment because of recent criticism coming from the mayor of Las Vegas re the specific site choice within the Las Vegas Metro (she prefers a different site within the metro).

Old 02-26-2024, 03:25 PM

4,456 posts, read 4,374,987 times
Default John Fisher should just sell to the Salt Lake City group

Seriously. The A’s ownership has been the biggest embarrassment in history. Vegas clearly wants nothing to do with them at this point. I think the best solution is for the A’s to be sold to the group in SLC as they seem very ready for an expansion team. Then down the road Nashville and Las Vegas get expansion teams to bring it to 32. I think Vegas could do well with an MLB team but an expansion team may be better for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball