Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 07:49 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
After the game, I watched the replay a few times on mlb.com. Like most things in baseball, it is a game of inches - or in this case, millimeters. I could see where the glove made the runner's jersey move and the tag was applied. The runner's jersey wouldn't move RIGHT where the glove hit his jersey unless... the glove hit his jersey. That's pretty conclusive if you ask me.
You think you saw his jersey move and characterize that as conclusive? Suppose that there was some technology available which could establish the outcome of this play beyond any possible doubt. Before you heard the outcome of that verdict, you were invited to bet 10 thousand dollars on it. Would you confidently place that bet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 09:18 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You think you saw his jersey move and characterize that as conclusive?
You are making a distinction in what I said that is inaccurate.

I don't think I saw it. I see it. Like I said - when the glove comes into contact with the player, the jersey moves in a way consistent with the motion of the tag.

Look at it this way - the camera angle provided is actually perfect. That camera shot is nearly perpendicular to the play. If there was no tag, you'd see daylight between the glove and the jersey. Do a super slo-mo replay. Not only is there no daylight between the glove and the jersey (that's easy to see), but the jersey moves. How much more conclusive could you ask for?

Was it close? No doubt.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
You are making a distinction in what I said that is inaccurate.

I don't think I saw it. I see it. Like I said - when the glove comes into contact with the player, the jersey moves in a way consistent with the motion of the tag.

Look at it this way - the camera angle provided is actually perfect. That camera shot is nearly perpendicular to the play. If there was no tag, you'd see daylight between the glove and the jersey. Do a super slo-mo replay. Not only is there no daylight between the glove and the jersey (that's easy to see), but the jersey moves. How much more conclusive could you ask for?

Was it close? No doubt.
I've seen numerous replays at all speeds and stop action, but I have not seen one which shows the moving jersey. I'm open to the truth of matters here, so perhaps you could provide me with a link to the video you watched which shows the moving jersey? Thanks.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I've seen numerous replays at all speeds and stop action, but I have not seen one which shows the moving jersey. I'm open to the truth of matters here, so perhaps you could provide me with a link to the video you watched which shows the moving jersey? Thanks.
I didn't search hard - this is the same feed shown during the game: https://www.mlb.com/video/gardner-ya...3?tid=63817564

@1:05 to 1:06. Single step through it.

The jersey flutter is simply redundant. Tag is right there. Shot is perpendicular to the tag. Multiple frames of no "daylight" between the glove and the jersey. Look directly below the runner's ear, past the neck to the jersey. I can plainly see the jersey move right as the tag is applied. It isn't much, but it is there.

So,

1. Jersey moving at the same time as the tag applied
2. No daylight between glove and player on a nearly perpendicular shot

If you can't see it, then you choose not to.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I didn't search hard - this is the same feed shown during the game: https://www.mlb.com/video/gardner-ya...3?tid=63817564

@1:05 to 1:06. Single step through it.

The jersey flutter is simply redundant. Tag is right there. Shot is perpendicular to the tag. Multiple frames of no "daylight" between the glove and the jersey. Look directly below the runner's ear, past the neck to the jersey. I can plainly see the jersey move right as the tag is applied. It isn't much, but it is there.

So,

1. Jersey moving at the same time as the tag applied
2. No daylight between glove and player on a nearly perpendicular shot

If you can't see it, then you choose not to.
First...thank you for the link.

We are seeing the same thing but I am not seeing the moving jersey.

My position has not been that he conclusively was not tagged, rather that it is not possible to tell with certainty that he was tagged. The video does not make me certain, it makes me aware that he may well have been tagged. My feeling is that Yankee fans can come away thinking that they conclusively saw a tag, and A's fans can come away thinking that it was not indisputable.

My understanding was that to overturn an on the field call, there had to be indisputable proof. Using that replay as indisputable proof of either safe or out?

Anyway, it was a terrible break for Oakland, a true game changer which altered the outcome.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Anyway, it was a terrible break for Oakland, a true game changer which altered the outcome.
If the Yankees win the division by a game and Oakland loses the division/wildcard by a game, then there'd be a lot to gripe about. Just call it the "one that got away." Besides, who is to say that the home team goes down 1-2-3 in the 9th when down by a run? If the game was played in a bubble, then maybe. Maybe the Yankees pinch hit for a player. Maybe Oakland uses a different pitcher (well, they had their closer in the 9th).

Like most sports, it is very difficult to play the "what if" game because the actions of both teams would be different depending on "what if the call wasn't overturned?"

I think we can both agree, that if the call stood, Oakland would likely have won that game.

But I wouldn't bet $10k on it...

Old 05-16-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
If the Yankees win the division by a game and Oakland loses the division/wildcard by a game, then there'd be a lot to gripe about. Just call it the "one that got away." Besides, who is to say that the home team goes down 1-2-3 in the 9th when down by a run? If the game was played in a bubble, then maybe. Maybe the Yankees pinch hit for a player. Maybe Oakland uses a different pitcher (well, they had their closer in the 9th).
I doubt that the Yankees would have been any more or less motivated to score in the bottom of the 9th. In a tie game, the team batting in the bottom of the 9th has a chance to win the game while not allowing the opposition a chance to score. Failure to score means that the enemy has at least three more outs to play with before it loses. I think we can safely assume that they did all that they could with whatever weapons were on hand to try and close the game out in the 9th.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:45 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
I would like to thank the Chicago White Sox for Tyler Saladino, so far so good. 5 for 12 with 2 homers. We stole Shaw and now we stealing Tyler Saladino.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 PM

The A's are a better club than their record suggests, a product of playing in this year's strong AL West. Oakland is 12-5 when playing outside of their division, but a wretched 9-17 against the other AL West teams, the most in-division losses of any team.

60% of the teams in the AL East and AL West are below .500, 60% of the teams in the AL West are well above it.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
The A's are a better club than their record suggests, a product of playing in this year's strong AL West. Oakland is 12-5 when playing outside of their division, but a wretched 9-17 against the other AL West teams, the most in-division losses of any team.

60% of the teams in the AL East and AL West are below .500, 60% of the teams in the AL West are well above it.
The A's are going to play a total of 76 games against AL West teams. There's another 3/4 of a season to go, so they have time to improve upon their record. However, if the argument is going to be made that they are better than their record suggests, they need to make up ground on teams in their division. The third best team in the AL West would need to be better than every other non-division winner in the AL in order to qualify for the playoffs.

It is still early in the season, but the A's have been lucky in their record: 7-2 in 1-run games. Their record is right in line with their run differential and they've had some luck to keep their record even at 22-22. If they are in a tough division, they need to beat up on teams with sub 0.500 records. They have 12 or so more games against Texas. They should do better than 4-3 against a team like Texas that has a 17-28 record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball