Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 06:41 PM

820 posts, read 972,167 times

Advertisements

I am a diehard Yankees fan, go to several games a year, etc. However, I do not taunt my friends and relatives who are fans of other teams whenever their teams fail, and I certainly do not feel that they are bad people for liking the teams that they like. I have many friends who are Phillies, Mets and Red Sox fans, and it does not fail that every time the Yankees lose, they will personally call me to laugh in my face. And last year, they were throwing a fit about them almost making it to the WS. And then they also act like instead of working hard for our success, we lazed around and cheated our way to 27 World Series wins. They call them the "entitled Yankees" and say every night that "all Yankees fans are jerks that have no class and behave like animals." Meanwhile, they are the ones calling me and other Yankee fans a jerk on a daily basis and laughing in our face and taunting us (beyond the usual teasing, I can understand that and I do it also), so I just don't understand why we are considered the evil fans when they are so much worse (at least my friends are, it's not a stereotype of all fans of those teams). Myself and all of the Yankees fans I know are the nicest people and classiest fans there are, so I'm just wondering what I'm missing here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 08:35 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
Myself and all of the Yankees fans I know are the nicest people and classiest fans there are, so I'm just wondering what I'm missing here.
Perhaps not anointing yourself and your fellow fans the "nicest and classiest" might help.

The position enjoyed by the Yankees as both the wealthiest and the most successful franchise will of course generate resentment from the fans of teams which have less money and fewer championships. A pennant race is a melodrama and good melodramas require villains to overcome. That is the Yankee role, if you want to cease being perceived as villains, quit winning so much and being so rich.

Think of it as the price of success.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Perhaps not anointing yourself and your fellow fans the "nicest and classiest" might help.

The position enjoyed by the Yankees as both the wealthiest and the most successful franchise will of course generate resentment from the fans of teams which have less money and fewer championships. A pennant race is a melodrama and good melodramas require villains to overcome. That is the Yankee role, if you want to cease being perceived as villains, quit winning so much and being so rich.

Think of it as the price of success.
So we seriously have to quit winning in order to appease the other fans? These are fans that openly think we cheat our way into winning the championship instead of using our money wisely and working hard.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:20 PM

17,715 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Many Yankees fans are obnoxious.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:42 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
So we seriously have to quit winning in order to appease the other fans? These are fans that openly think we cheat our way into winning the championship instead of using our money wisely and working hard.

The Yankee's reputation as the best team money can buy is well earned. Small market teams like my Twins have to build from within only to watch many of their best players jettison off for the big money paid out by the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and any other deep pocket teams who don't blink an eye about being over the cap in spending. There is where you'll find the most resentment from other fans.

Evening the playing field does help to reduce the resentment. By putting in the salary caps and penalties along with the sharing of the TV contract major league baseball did at least help this situation.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The Yankee's reputation as the best team money can buy is well earned. Small market teams like my Twins have to build from within only to watch many of their best players jettison off for the big money paid out by the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and any other deep pocket teams who don't blink an eye about being over the cap in spending. There is where you'll find the most resentment from other fans.

Evening the playing field does help to reduce the resentment. By putting in the salary caps and penalties along with the sharing of the TV contract major league baseball did at least help this situation.
Yeah, that makes sense. It’s just so ironic that my friends who call me to laugh in my face and taunt me every time the Yankees lose claim that WE are the worst fans, me included. Very funny.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:47 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
So we seriously have to quit winning in order to appease the other fans? .
If you are too uncomfortable with the way things are now, then the image must be changed. Do you want a winning team that is resented, or a mediocre team that other fans have no special feelings about one way or the other?

There is a price to pay either way.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:16 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,921,636 times
Quote:
Why are Yankees fans treated so horribly by other fans?
Because fandom preys on our tribal urges. People self-identify based on what sports team the root for.
Our biology hasn't caught up to our reality.

Quote:
Myself and all of the Yankees fans I know are the nicest people and classiest fans there are
That's not true

Everyone knows that the St Louis Cardinals have baseball's best fans

Old 04-18-2018, 04:34 PM

17,576 posts, read 15,247,745 times
I got into a fight with a 30-something Yankees fan at Yankee Stadium in 1988 or so.. When I was 13. He threw popcorn at me because I had the gall to clap when Eckersley came into the game for the A's.

Stay classy, Yankee fans.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:35 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Many Yankees fans are obnoxious.
yep - especially the ones in FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball