Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 11:59 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,156,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Unrelated, but I wish I had moved to the Bay Area when Candlestick was still hosting baseball. The only event I ever saw there was a Toluca vs. Club America match.

Re: OP. I typically enjoy baseball more in person provided I have a radio with headphones so I can hear the radio broadcast and if I'm sitting in the shade. I generally don't care where I'm sitting. I find baseball on television to be particularly boring unless it's the playoffs and every pitch is therefore electric.
Candlestick was not a good park for baseball. It was often too cold and windy to enjoy the game because instead of focusing on the game, you were thinking about how to get warm. The access roads made for traffic jams coming and going, and right field was ugly looking because instead of a regular wall, it was where they pushed back the expanding seating section which was brought out for football games. It looked like an incomplete construction site.

However, the biggest difference between Candlestick and their new digs, whatever they are calling it this year, is that tickets were available and affordable. You could decide at the last moment to go to the game that day and walk up tickets for reasonably decent seats would be available. The new place is almost completely sold out in advance to season ticket holders, and the few seats available for non season ticket buyers would be nose bleeders in the upper deck.

The upper deck in the new stadium does offer a spectacular view of the city and the bay, just not a very good view of the doings on the field. You can get all entranced looking around and sort of zone out from the ballgame completely.

Finally, while it was difficult driving to and from Candlestick, the new place doesn't have enough parking for cars, and the few places where you can park charge you an arm and a leg and a few toes off your other leg. Public transportation to the game on BART still leaves you about six blocks away at the closest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 01:10 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,618,220 times
I'm lucky enough to be a white sox fan. They pay you to come to the stadium.

Seriously tho, wait for the 1st pitch to be thrown, grab a $5 ticket, sit wherever the hell you want.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:49 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,301,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Similar to TV vs radio thread, anybody here that thinks that watching baseball at the stadium is better? Personally I'd rather watch baseball at the stadium because it's more fun and you get the experience to watch the players when you are at the stadium.

I like watching it in person because I can see the whole picture, not just what the camera shows. Last night, after several shots of an "almost home run" that hit the wall and became a single, I wondered if the batter had run hard or waited to do a home run trot. I saw the swing, I saw the ball hit the wall, I saw the outfielder grab the ball and throw it in, but I didn't see the runner run.

I like watching on TV because I get close-up views and I can replay parts as often as I want. Also, I don't have time every day for a full game, so I fast-forward through parts of it. At home I don't have to pay a huge amount of money for a ticket, ice cream costs less, and I don't have to deal with city traffic and parking (or a train that I have to drive an hour even to get to, and a bus that stops on every corner).

I might try the minor leagues (short A) this year.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:22 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,310,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I might try the minor leagues (short A) this year.

You've never been to a minor league game? Who's your local team? In general.. It's a treat. I mean, even when I lived in the DC area and was going to Prince William Cannons games (Now Potomac Nationals) and going to what is generally considered one of the worst ballparks in all of baseball, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northw...itzner_Stadium

Minor league baseball just tries so hard. And the players do, too. I honestly enjoy going to a minor league game over a pro team. Not that I don't enjoy seeing MLB when I get the chance. I'm in Upstate SC.. Atlanta is 2 and a half hours to go to and.. well.. it's Atlanta.

But it's refreshing to see Single or Double A baseball.. Never made it to a AAA game. Everything about it, other than seeing 'the big stars' is better. Even though the quality of play sometimes leaves something to be desired.. The fact that these 18 to 22 (for the most part) year old kids are out there trying to make a name for themselves.. Even when they screw up.. and they do.. It's great.

Plus, the fact that you can get great seats, generally for right around $10.. At least, that's the average cost of a ticket here for our Single A team.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You've never been to a minor league game? Who's your local team? In general.. It's a treat. I mean, even when I lived in the DC area and was going to Prince William Cannons games (Now Potomac Nationals) and going to what is generally considered one of the worst ballparks in all of baseball, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northw...itzner_Stadium

Minor league baseball just tries so hard. And the players do, too. I honestly enjoy going to a minor league game over a pro team. Not that I don't enjoy seeing MLB when I get the chance. I'm in Upstate SC.. Atlanta is 2 and a half hours to go to and.. well.. it's Atlanta.

But it's refreshing to see Single or Double A baseball.. Never made it to a AAA game. Everything about it, other than seeing 'the big stars' is better. Even though the quality of play sometimes leaves something to be desired.. The fact that these 18 to 22 (for the most part) year old kids are out there trying to make a name for themselves.. Even when they screw up.. and they do.. It's great.

Plus, the fact that you can get great seats, generally for right around $10.. At least, that's the average cost of a ticket here for our Single A team.

I went to a Quakes' game (CA League, high A) in the 90s, a Crawdads' game (SAL, full-season A) around 2007, and I saw the Portland Beavers a couple times in the late 70s (AAA at that time). I haven't been to a minor league game lately. If I go this year, it will be to see the Everett Aquasox, short-season A. I'll probably see some of the newly drafted players.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:16 PM

1,074 posts, read 642,370 times
I love any sporting event in person over watching it on TV. Baseball specifically, in Texas, is slightly less pleasant for most of the baseball season until we get our new closed baseball field, that is.
Maybe because it is so cost prohibitive for my budget that when I do get to go it is a real treat, especially football

Old 06-07-2019, 11:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,333,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvsCruisin View Post
I enjoy going to games at Safeco Field. I've sat everywhere in the stadium with the exception of directly behind home plate and IMO the best seats in the house are the terrace club. It's the middle tier around the stadium... waitresses take care of you in your seats and the bathrooms/food/bars are behind you in a walkway that is glass all the way around for visibility. When you get to the stadium the parking garage has an elevated walkway over the street directly to the terrace level allowing you to bypass all the entry line BS.

I haven't sat anywhere else for the last couple years. Tickets are about $75 each.
Same here. Safeco is still a beautiful place but not worth the cost to watch them lose. We used to pay $16 for tickets and would buy for 5-6 of our favorite games as soon as they went on sale. Now with the tickets, parking at $40, and another hundred for food it's not worth it. We'd rather go out for a nice dinner and then watch on TV at home. Well, except now that the Mariners suck, we have a "3 run rule" and turn the game off when behind by 3 or more, often in the first inning.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Same here. Safeco is still a beautiful place but not worth the cost to watch them lose. We used to pay $16 for tickets and would buy for 5-6 of our favorite games as soon as they went on sale. Now with the tickets, parking at $40, and another hundred for food it's not worth it. We'd rather go out for a nice dinner and then watch on TV at home. Well, except now that the Mariners suck, we have a "3 run rule" and turn the game off when behind by 3 or more, often in the first inning.

They've come from behind a couple of times this week. Last night it didn't result in a win, but it was still significant.

I record the games so I have at least a little delay and can fast-forward some. Sometimes I check the score on line before I watch to see if it's going to be too sad.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:44 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,618,220 times
If you're spending $100 on food you're doing it wrong.

Baseball is a steal. Buy the cheap seats. Move down closer as the game goes on.

Entertainment wise... Whats cheaper than going to a major league baseball game?

I was in Detroit recently. Went to a Detroit/Angels game. Got to see 3 future hall of fame players. $14 tickets. Had a few $8 beers. Couple of hot dogs... Less than $100 for two of us.

I can go to a no name tavern in a no name town and drop a $100 easy.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:45 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
If you're spending $100 on food you're doing it wrong.

Baseball is a steal. Buy the cheap seats. Move down closer as the game goes on.

Entertainment wise... Whats cheaper than going to a major league baseball game?

I was in Detroit recently. Went to a Detroit/Angels game. Got to see 3 future hall of fame players. $14 tickets. Had a few $8 beers. Couple of hot dogs... Less than $100 for two of us.

I can go to a no name tavern in a no name town and drop a $100 easy.
In small market games that plan works but you can't walk into Yankee/Fenway stadium for $14 and move to the front as the game progresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball