Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:33 PM

834 posts, read 528,751 times

Advertisements

I agree that Nashville would be a great baseball town. It would have been a contender five years ago and the city has absolutely blown up since then. Only Montreal is fully greenlit to proceed though. Stadiums cost over $1billion now and US owners never want to foot the whole bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 12:33 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
The Chicago White Sox have acquired first baseman Yonder Alonso in a trade with the Cleveland Indians, the teams announced Saturday.

The Indians will get minor league outfielder Alex Call in the deal.
Yonder Alonso of Cleveland Indians traded to Chicago White Sox

Of course the White Sox already have a 31 year old guy playing first, Jose Abreu, so why they wanted another 31 year old veteran with the same sort of skills set eludes me. They have made themselves less DH flexible because in order to get both of their bats into the lineup, one will have to DH while the other plays first.

It may be a matter of the Sox recognizing that Abreu has an iffy future. Last season he missed 30 plus games with injuries, exactly what could be expected of a 31 year old. Abreu is one of those players you tend to think is in his prime because he has only played for five seasons, but he was an old rookie in 2014, already 27. We have seen all of Abreu's prime already and he is on the downslope portion of his career.

If so, wouldn't it have made more sense for the Sox to have gone after someone younger to replace him in the future? Alonso turns 32 in early April and is also in the decline part of his career.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:43 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Yonder Alonso of Cleveland Indians traded to Chicago White Sox

Of course the White Sox already have a 31 year old guy playing first, Jose Abreu, so why they wanted another 31 year old veteran with the same sort of skills set eludes me. They have made themselves less DH flexible because in order to get both of their bats into the lineup, one will have to DH while the other plays first.

It may be a matter of the Sox recognizing that Abreu has an iffy future. Last season he missed 30 plus games with injuries, exactly what could be expected of a 31 year old. Abreu is one of those players you tend to think is in his prime because he has only played for five seasons, but he was an old rookie in 2014, already 27. We have seen all of Abreu's prime already and he is on the downslope portion of his career.

If so, wouldn't it have made more sense for the Sox to have gone after someone younger to replace him in the future? Alonso turns 32 in early April and is also in the decline part of his career.
And they lifted $8 mil off of CLE’s payroll.

Maybe they are also looking to lure Machado? As brothers-in-law they’d probably like to play together.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:44 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Mets got Ramos, would have preferred Maldonado, but far better than getting taken to the cleaners for Realmuto. If our GM means win now, we need Syndergaard, Conforto, and Rosario. The minute Jeter wanted more than Nimmo plus kids in minors, Mets should have walked away.

Between adding Ramos plus Cano, NYM have effectively lengthened their lineup. Diaz solidified closing out games, Familia solidifies 8th inning hold %.

I am hoping they do not go for RF options rumored as neither can field. Pollock IMO is not worth $$$$.

Now its time to nibble a bit, inexpensive bullpen options or inexpensive outfielders only. Or look for a trade where D'Arnaud can be included. I have read they want to trade Plawecki more.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 12-16-2018 at 10:00 PM..

Old 12-17-2018, 05:56 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Mets got Ramos, would have preferred Maldonado, but far better than getting taken to the cleaners for Realmuto. If our GM means win now, we need Syndergaard, Conforto, and Rosario. The minute Jeter wanted more than Nimmo plus kids in minors, Mets should have walked away.

Between adding Ramos plus Cano, NYM have effectively lengthened their lineup. Diaz solidified closing out games, Familia solidifies 8th inning hold %.

I am hoping they do not go for RF options rumored as neither can field. Pollock IMO is not worth $$$$.

Now its time to nibble a bit, inexpensive bullpen options or inexpensive outfielders only. Or look for a trade where D'Arnaud can be included. I have read they want to trade Plawecki more.

I can still see a scenario that the Mets still acquiring Realmuto, remember they have a different type of GM in town. They would then trade D'Arnaud and or Plawecki even if for a bag of balls.

The Marlins were too complacent thinking the Mets were going to "pony up the team", now the price goes down a bit IMO and this betters the chance the Mets have. Now what that price would be I don't know. It would be great with Realmuto doing the main catching with Ramos as backup. Whether that won't really bother Ramos is another story.

The outfield, hmmmmmm....., don't really know if there's a great enough one available as all one hears a lot is Pollock and with him to me it depends on what "price tag". Also they should keep Syndergaard for at least this year and revisit trading him this time next year. I want to see how they do with extending deGrom's contract. I don't see the Mets affording Syndergaard's big $ contract in the future, so I can see why trading him was considered.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:21 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
I can still see a scenario that the Mets still acquiring Realmuto, remember they have a different type of GM in town. They would then trade D'Arnaud and or Plawecki even if for a bag of balls.

The Mets are not going to go and trade for Realmuto after giving Ramos a 2 yr $19 million dollar deal. The Ramos signing absolutely closes that door.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:59 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
The Mets are not going to go and trade for Realmuto after giving Ramos a 2 yr $19 million dollar deal. The Ramos signing absolutely closes that door.

Yes, I know about Ramos' 2 year deal, just 2 years and how much is Realmuto making? Not much.

The scenario still exists till he's traded by the Marlins elsewhere IMO.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:12 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Agreed. Catcher is fine now. They just need a few tweaks-but have the major pieces now to resume contending fiercely.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:30 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- In a seven-player trade that moved upward of $70 million in salary commitments, the Los Angeles Dodgers opened significant payroll space, cleared two major league surpluses off their roster and positioned themselves to make major moves, both in free agency and through the trade market
Earlier Friday, Friedman sent starting pitcher Alex Wood and his two most decorated outfielders, Yasiel Puig and Matt Kemp, to the Cincinnati Reds. In return, the Dodgers took on the bloated contract of struggling right-hander Homer Bailey -- who will be subsequently released -- and acquired two intriguing prospects in middle infielder Jeter Downs and right-hander Josiah Gray. Backup catcher/infielder Kyle Farmer and $7 million were also sent to the Reds.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...incinnati-reds

Puig is arbitration eligible this year and a free agent at the end of the 2019 season. His best two years with LA were his first two seasons (4.7, 5.1) and since has been 1.1, 1.3, 3.7 and 2.7. It is the sort of career pattern that makes one wonder if Puig really was just 22 when he started with the Dodgers. Given Puig's tendency to start controversies, it is unsurprising that LA would want to shed whatever arbitration awarded Puig for 2019.

Despite some surges here and there, like in the first half last season, Matt Kemp was last a quality player in 2011. He is a brutally bad defender in the outfield and has posted a negative WAR with his glove for ten consecutive seasons. Why the Reds would want him even with LA paying a chunk of his bloated 21 million dollar salary, eludes understanding. Kemp will also be a free agent after 2019.

Jeter Downs is a 19 year old entry level middle infielder who was okay but hardly dazzling, in rookie and A ball.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:24 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Los Angeles Dodgers trade Matt Kemp, Yasiel Puig, Alex Wood to Cincinnati Reds

Puig is arbitration eligible this year and a free agent at the end of the 2019 season. His best two years with LA were his first two seasons (4.7, 5.1) and since has been 1.1, 1.3, 3.7 and 2.7. It is the sort of career pattern that makes one wonder if Puig really was just 22 when he started with the Dodgers. Given Puig's tendency to start controversies, it is unsurprising that LA would want to shed whatever arbitration awarded Puig for 2019.

Despite some surges here and there, like in the first half last season, Matt Kemp was last a quality player in 2011. He is a brutally bad defender in the outfield and has posted a negative WAR with his glove for ten consecutive seasons. Why the Reds would want him even with LA paying a chunk of his bloated 21 million dollar salary, eludes understanding. Kemp will also be a free agent after 2019.

Jeter Downs is a 19 year old entry level middle infielder who was okay but hardly dazzling, in rookie and A ball.

I thought about the age then when Puig was younger. Maybe he's really older than he was. But Puig was the one guy who came over that I actually thought was the correct age because he just really looked young when he came up. Granted, maybe it was only 1 year difference. I def don't think it was like what we've heard of in the past where a player is really 4-5 years older than described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball