Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 08:51 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

I suspect Harper gets $350 mill, 10 years, opt out for him after 5. Not in DC.

He is toxic, but talented.

I do not think Nats compete for an extended period now. They missed their shots the last several years ending in 2017.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 09:58 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Good! Let some dumb team like the Phillies, Yankees, or White Sox pay him $35 million to hit 40 home runs, bat around .270 and be a below average defender!

Hopefully while the Phillies are at it they can pay another $30 million to Machado to cripple themselves for the next decade.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Good! Let some dumb team like the Phillies, Yankees, or White Sox pay him $35 million to hit 40 home runs, bat around .270 and be a below average defender!

Hopefully while the Phillies are at it they can pay another $30 million to Machado to cripple themselves for the next decade.
7 year olds hit 35 in Citizens Bank Park. As a Phil, he would top 50 annually.

We knew, like Machado, he would cost a fortune.

As a Met fan, I am delighted he will not be a Nat in all likelihood. I like Rendon, but I view Nats as team w/o robust power to fear now.

No mega deal is granted based on its entirety. You hope deal works first half and is not too horrific back half.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:57 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
I have a feeling this is all smoke & mirrors but ok...

Chicago Cubs open to trading 3B Kris Bryant

IF he does end up getting traded (I don't think so) I could see a 3 way trade between the Mets & Padres where the Mets get Bryant, Padres get either deGrom or Syndergaard from the Mets and the Cubs get a couple high-level prospect from the Padres. It makes sense for all 3 teams.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:21 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
Quote:
My final offer on Harper is 250 at 10 with an opt out after year 5 (would be the end of his age 31 season). If he wants more money or more years or a sooner opt-out we can say thank you for your time and your success here, but we are looking elsewhere. We haven't won anything with him, so it's not like he got us to great heights or anything that we'll be missing.

And as I've been stating the whole season I'd rather NOT resign him anyways because we certainly aren't keeping both Harper & Rendon (due after next year) and I'd much rather resign Rendon.

I would give him an opt out after 4. I highly doubt he has as good of years after the age of 30. Let him opt out after he's given you the best years of his career and you can get away from that contract before you're stuck.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling this is all smoke & mirrors but ok...

Chicago Cubs open to trading 3B Kris Bryant

IF he does end up getting traded (I don't think so) I could see a 3 way trade between the Mets & Padres where the Mets get Bryant, Padres get either deGrom or Syndergaard from the Mets and the Cubs get a couple high-level prospect from the Padres. It makes sense for all 3 teams.
My hunch is JD stays several years past 2020 in Queens and Noah is dealt. A deal with KB ending in Orange & Blue would be fair to both sides, if Noah ended up with Padres.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:46 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Joe Mauer has announced his retirement. After 15 seasons, all with the Twins, he finishes with a career slashline of .306 /.388/.439, 143 home runs, 55.1 WAR, six All Star appearances and the 2009 MVP award. Mauer is 35 and was last an All Star in 2013 when he was 30. He was compensated 215 million dollars in the course of his career.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Atlanta Braves outfielder Ronald Acuna Jr. was named National League Rookie of the Year on Monday.

He received 27 first-place votes and three seconds for 144 points. Fellow international phenom Juan Soto of the Washington Nationals got two firsts and 89 points, and Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Walker Buehler was next with one first and 28 points.
Ronald Acuna Jr. of Atlanta Braves named NL Rookie of the Year
Quote:
Shohei Ohtani became the fourth Japanese-born player to win Rookie of the Year, as the Los Angeles Angels' two-way sensation beat New York Yankees duo Miguel Andujar and Gleyber Torres to the American League award.

Ohtani earned 25 of 30 first-place votes to run away with the award. The other five votes went to Andujar, who finished as runner-up.
Angels' Shohei Ohtani beats Yankees' duo to win AL Rookie of the Year

Old 11-13-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Oakland Athletics skipper Bob Melvin was named American League Manager of the Year on Tuesday after guiding the team with the lowest opening-day payroll in baseball to a 97-65 record and its first playoff berth in four years.
...Melvin collected 18 first-place votes and 121 points to beat Alex Cora of the Boston Red Sox, who was second with seven first-place votes and 79 points, and Kevin Cash of the Tampa Bay Rays, who was third with five first-place votes and 57 points.
Bob Melvin of Oakland Athletics named AL Manager of the Year

Quote:
Brian Snitker has been named NL manager of the year after guiding the Atlanta Braves to the team's first winning season, postseason berth and division title in five years.
...With 17 first-place votes, Snitker was the only manager to appear on every ballot and beat out fellow finalists Craig Counsell (11 first-place votes) of the Milwaukee Brewers and Bud Black (one first-place vote) of the Colorado Rockies.
Brian Snitker of Atlanta Braves named NL manager of the year

They should rename this the "Team We Were Most Wrong About When We Predicted A Bad Year" award. While it doesn't always go to the managers who surprised the voters the most, it does with sufficient frequency as to make the awards pretty predictable.

That said, I do have to hand it to Melvin for doing a terrific job with a mess of a pitching staff. 34 hurlers took to the mound for the A's, 15 of them started games. With the exception of August, the rotation was never stable, but Melvin responded with innovation and got the maximum out of what he had on hand.

The A's offense was the opposite, the most stable lineup of regulars the team has had in ages. You knew who the infield starters were, and which outfieldfielders would be playing based on the lefty or righty they were facing.

Last edited by Grandstander; 11-13-2018 at 05:26 PM..

Old 11-14-2018, 07:18 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
I was surprised Counsell didn't win the manage award.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball