Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 12:28 PM

938 posts, read 1,227,162 times

Advertisements

AMEN. Welcome to your home for next 13 years. Do like Ruth -- Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 07:04 PM

1,809 posts, read 2,760,119 times
Remember when ballplayers used to appear like apparitions right out of a full grown corn field, and play just once more for merely the love of the game...

Old 03-04-2019, 12:44 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,249,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
It should be noted that Mays, Aaron, and Maris were not “one team players” their whole career, too. Their long-time employer apparently had no problem moving on from them when it seemed to suit their interests, did they? So much for loyalty. And if you think Derek Jeter wasn’t playing “for the bread,” you’re dreaming.
None of those three players ever moved on when it "suited their interests". Mays was traded to the Mets so that the Giants wouldn't have to pay his pension, Aaron was traded to the Brewers when he didn't retire after setting the home run record like the Braves wanted him to, and Maris was always a journeyman who happened to have a couple of outstanding years.

It was a different game back then, those guys had virtually no control over their careers. And the top salary of the three of them - Aaron in 1976 - adjusted for inflation works out to about the major league minimum today.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:00 PM

1,584 posts, read 979,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
None of those three players ever moved on when it "suited their interests". Mays was traded to the Mets so that the Giants wouldn't have to pay his pension, Aaron was traded to the Brewers when he didn't retire after setting the home run record like the Braves wanted him to, and Maris was always a journeyman who happened to have a couple of outstanding years.

It was a different game back then, those guys had virtually no control over their careers. And the top salary of the three of them - Aaron in 1976 - adjusted for inflation works out to about the major league minimum today.
I thought what I was saying earlier was that in the cases of Aaron and Mays, the TEAM moved on from the player when it suited the TEAM’s interest, no matter how great he had been for them in the past. Not what you suggest.

In other words, it bothers me that people chide players for lacking loyalty if they don’t play their whole career with one team, yet they don’t seem to have a problem if the team doesn’t reciprocate. Loyalty is a two-way street.

I don’t think anybody owes anybody here. Players should be free to head elsewhere at points when they have free agency, and teams should be able to drop players when they no longer feel the player is useful once their contract is up. Yet some folks get up in arms when the player doesn’t stay loyal to their team, often expecting them to take a hometown discount or some such. It’s the failure to hold both sides to the same standards that I find bothersome.

Some comedian once noted that if you’re a fan of a particular team, you’re rooting for laundry. There’s a bit of truth to this.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:45 PM

938 posts, read 1,227,162 times
Default What attentiin span

What has changed today is attentiin span, understanding only in a negative manner, and havingr noses so deep in the internet there is no time set to breathe the air. We are all coming to a stop sign and rolling through. Our consideration of success is our monetary value. We weep very little because we would be considered a wuss. I don't get paid being a fan. I don't wake up morning after a game and admire anybodys bank account. He has every right to go for the bread now lets see if he has the b___s to go for the gold or just another ripoff. A Chip Kelly specialty. Gosh I admire that guy look at the money he made. NOT!!!!. These outrageous salaries are skinning us at the ticket office and refreshment venues. Baseball is so costly now how can you afford to go it to the park. If money isn't the problem and outrageous salaries isn't the problem then excusee me as I throw up. Shoot there are people who live to criticize love to be anti everything. Well sorry but 330K is a great deal of money lets see if this thoroughbred is worth that kind of money. Early results show 3 walks and a strike out. Very impressive. Granted it was one long foul ball. Iits not about Bryce he looks great. It is. Bigger its about the greed. Goldfingers out there have little i would be interested in hearing so save the breath. Baseball was once a game of challenges now there are bunch of money hungry players who take a way the value of being a part of something bigger.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:36 AM

33,983 posts, read 17,018,158 times
Quote:

In other words, it bothers me that people chide players for lacking loyalty if they don’t play their whole career with one team, yet they don’t seem to have a problem if the team doesn’t reciprocate. Loyalty is a two-way street.

I don’t think anybody owes anybody here. .

I view it like Employment At Will. Both parties act correctly when they act 100% in SOLELY their own, selfish interest. That produces an equilibrium point in the middle.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:19 AM

1,584 posts, read 979,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Barnes View Post
I don't get paid being a fan.
Nobody does. Fans of anything usually don't get paid for being so.

Quote:
These outrageous salaries are skinning us at the ticket office and refreshment venues.
Don't agree. The owners are charging what they think the market will bear. My guess is that they would be charging these prices regardless of player salary level.

Quote:
Baseball is so costly now how can you afford to go it to the park.
It's easy to minimize your costs if you plan a bit. Take public transport to the park. Eat at home or sneak in a bag of peanuts or something similar. Buy a bleacher seat. Forego the foam fingers and other souvenirs.

Besides, the price of a ballgame isn't that different from other types of entertainment such as a night at the theater, or a rock or major classical concert. Movies are a little cheaper, at least.

Quote:
Well sorry but 330K is a great deal of money lets see if this thoroughbred is worth that kind of money. Early results show 3 walks and a strike out. Very impressive. Granted it was one long foul ball. Iits not about Bryce he looks great. It is.
There's no question somebody thought Harper was worth that kind of money or they wouldn't have paid him accordingly. I have no problem with Harper trying to get that kind of money if he can. I know I wouldn't say no.

And actually, three walks isn't a bad thing at all. The whole point of baseball from the offensive end is to not make outs, and sometimes a pitcher just won't give you anything good to hit. In that case, take what you can get. Sure, a home run would be better, but that doesn't always happen.

Quote:
Bigger its about the greed. Goldfingers out there have little i would be interested in hearing so save the breath. Baseball was once a game of challenges now there are bunch of money hungry players who take a way the value of being a part of something bigger.
If we're talking about greed, I think both players and owners qualify -- though I'm not sure it isn't just a question of trying to obtain as much money as possible rather than sheer greed. Like it or not, baseball is a business and always has been. And as for challenges, my guess is that Harper is going to try his hardest to make the signing look good -- and I'd certainly call that a challenge. Philly fans are among the toughest to please in MLB, and if he doesn't do well, they'll let him have it. YMMV.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:56 AM

293 posts, read 120,927 times
Quote:
Nobody does. Fans of anything usually don't get paid for being so.

Don't agree. The owners are charging what they think the market will bear. My guess is that they would be charging these prices regardless of player salary level.

It's easy to minimize your costs if you plan a bit. Take public transport to the park. Eat at home or sneak in a bag of peanuts or something similar. Buy a bleacher seat. Forego the foam fingers and other souvenirs.

Besides, the price of a ballgame isn't that different from other types of entertainment such as a night at the theater, or a rock or major classical concert. Movies are a little cheaper, at least.

There's no question somebody thought Harper was worth that kind of money or they wouldn't have paid him accordingly. I have no problem with Harper trying to get that kind of money if he can. I know I wouldn't say no.

And actually, three walks isn't a bad thing at all. The whole point of baseball from the offensive end is to not make outs, and sometimes a pitcher just won't give you anything good to hit. In that case, take what you can get. Sure, a home run would be better, but that doesn't always happen.

If we're talking about greed, I think both players and owners qualify -- though I'm not sure it isn't just a question of trying to obtain as much money as possible rather than sheer greed. Like it or not, baseball is a business and always has been. And as for challenges, my guess is that Harper is going to try his hardest to make the signing look good -- and I'd certainly call that a challenge. Philly fans are among the toughest to please in MLB, and if he doesn't do well, they'll let him have it. YMMV.
Pretty much nailed it.

Just adding: If Harper had 3 walks and a K in every game it would be one of the greatest offensive season in history.

Quick back of the napkin calc, 150 games with 4 PA per game in 600 PA. 3 walks per game is 450 walks. That's a .540 wOBA

Barry Bonds in 2002 had a .544 wOBA
That year he hit .370/.582/.799

Bryce's. 000/.750/.000 line would be roughly equivilant. Because, turns out, not getting out is really good.

Last edited by SpiritualBaseball; 03-13-2019 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Autocorrect

Old 03-13-2019, 06:09 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,067,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
Pretty much nailed it.

Just adding: If Harper had 3 walks and a K in every game it would be one of the greatest offensive season in history.

Quick back of the napkin calc, 150 games with 4 PA per game in 600 PA. 3 walks per game is 450 walks. That's a .540 wOBA

Barry Bonds in 2002 had a .544 wOBA
That year he hit .370/.582/.799

Bruce's. 000/.750/.000 line would be roughly equivilant. Because, turns out, not getting out is really good.
Maybe one of the greatest OBP seasons. I wouldn’t refer to 0 hits, 0 HRs, 10 RBI (bases loaded walks?), .750 OPS, and 150+ Ks as a great offensive season.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:16 AM

293 posts, read 120,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Maybe one of the greatest OBP seasons. I wouldn’t refer to 0 hits, 0 HRs, 10 RBI (bases loaded walks?), .750 OPS, and 150+ Ks as a great offensive season.
I see you left out runs scored
Why'd you do that?

And runners who advanced from 1st to second, or second to third
Why'd you do that?

Also, outs,
He only got out 150 times during an entire season

Maybe you don't understand what wOBA is, it takes the expected run value of each event (a walk is less than a hit is less than a double is less than a triple is less than a home run) and divides by the number of times at the plate. Harper's imaginary 3-walk-per-game season would be expected to produce as many runs as Barry Bonds' 2002 season.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOBA

Last edited by SpiritualBaseball; 03-13-2019 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball