Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 06:41 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
Houston's been good, but Oakland was really good in the last series they played with the Astros. No guarantee on that happening next time, but baseball can be funny sometimes. I wouldn't overlook the Mets or the Rangers, however, as teams you'd think you'd have an easy time with sometimes might not be so easy.
You just don't know. The A's had their finest stretch of the season, winning three out of four from Houston, and following that with a sweep of the Yankees. Then they dropped two to the Giants.

Tonight it is the lowly Royals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 01:53 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
The A's always look amazing in the last 2-3 months of the season then flop in the playoffs, going back to the early 00s. I wouldn't judge other teams based on how they play the A's in August. By all appearances it will still come down to New York hitting vs Houston pitching in October.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:36 PM

I posted previously about how there wasn't much going on in the way of races in the AL, since then the NL has raced ahead to become even more over before it's over.

Estimated chances for reaching the post season:
Dodgers 99.9%
Braves 99.9%
Nationals 96.3%
Cardinals 82.1%
Cubs 77.2%

And there are your five post season teams. The closest contender to the big five is the Mets with a 25.8% estimated chance for post season play.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:35 PM

And another new home run record. Jake Cave hit a bomb in the third inning, giving the Twins 139 road home runs, passing the previous mark held by the 2001 Giants (Bonds' 73 year)

Old 08-30-2019, 06:35 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
And another new home run record. Jake Cave hit a bomb in the third inning, giving the Twins 139 road home runs, passing the previous mark held by the 2001 Giants (Bonds' 73 year)

Twins on the verge of setting the record of most players with 20 HRs with 8 as Polanco sitting at 19 and Gonzales still with a chance sitting at 15 for their 9th.

A big reason that it's taken this long is that the concrete at their new stadium has taken this time to cure.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:05 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Thank you for the information. I read that the family has requested that no results be released until the complete examinations are through.

Well, all the info is out.. "Accidental Overdose"

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ental-overdose

That is surprising. I did not expect to see that in the results.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:17 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, all the info is out.. "Accidental Overdose"

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ental-overdose

That is surprising. I did not expect to see that in the results.
Not knowing Tyler at all, I’m not surprised by it. Not any judgement of Tyler’s character.

As someone who had an overdose experience a few years ago himself, it don’t take but one miscalculation or a plug’s plug putting something in to have this happen. I know there will be people who will say he ain’t nothing but a druggie now. It only takes one time and one bad decision. In my experience, a few of my friends had the same near OD. These were people with degrees and gainfully employed who made the same mistake of taking something they ain’t know about. We were lucky, Tyler wasn’t.

My point is that accidental overdoses are not the bad mans disease, the disease affects many who were good folks who made one mistake. I believe Tyler was good folks who made one mistake.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:45 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Not knowing Tyler at all, I’m not surprised by it. Not any judgement of Tyler’s character.

As someone who had an overdose experience a few years ago himself, it don’t take but one miscalculation or a plug’s plug putting something in to have this happen. I know there will be people who will say he ain’t nothing but a druggie now. It only takes one time and one bad decision. In my experience, a few of my friends had the same near OD. These were people with degrees and gainfully employed who made the same mistake of taking something they ain’t know about. We were lucky, Tyler wasn’t.

My point is that accidental overdoses are not the bad mans disease, the disease affects many who were good folks who made one mistake. I believe Tyler was good folks who made one mistake.

I don't know. I understand your point.. But.. It also has to be understood that there's going to be a mix of reactions. From sadness to confusion to anger. And, for those left behind, none of those reactions are wrong.

To me.. I look at it more along the lines that you have to know that you're playing russian roulette. One of those times, the chamber won't be empty.

It sounds from that article that he may have gotten the drugs from an Angels employee, and the family has lawyered up.. Which leads me to believe that this isn't the end.. It's just getting started, and is apt to get quite ugly.

At the end of the day.. I don't know where I lie on the family suing the organization if the rumors wind up being true. I don't think anyone poured the alcohol down his throat or shoved the pill in his mouth. So, the blame in this, to me, does squarely lie on his shoulders. And even then.. If it was an Angels employee, I'm fairly certain it wasn't with the blessing of the organization.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:52 PM

The Twins will be setting a new single season team home run record this week. They have 261, six shy of the 267 hit way back in 2018 by the Yankees. It is quite probable that there will be a half dozen teams which break the old record.

We should get up a pool on when and who by the big # 268 happens. They are playing Detroit right now (no homers yet) and play them three more times through Monday. Detroit has surrendered the 5th most AL home runs this year, 206, so I'm going to say it happens this Sunday and the record breaker his struck by Jorge Polanco.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:45 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,468,918 times
I'm going to say Monday afternoon in Detroit by Nelson Cruz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball