Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 08:24 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

ESPN reporting David Ortiz was shot in an amusement park in the DR.

David Ortiz shot, hospitalized in Dominican Republic on Sunday

Former Boston Red Sox star David Ortiz was shot in the Dominican Republic, his father told ESPN on Sunday night.

David Ortiz was shot and wounded at a Santo Doningo amusement center, his father Leo Ortiz told ESPN Digital.

Per the report, Ortiz was shot in a burglary at an amusement center in Santo Domingo, and transported to a local hospital. A suspect has been arrested, according to Dominican journalist Jose Monegro.

The 43-year-old’s current status is unknown. According to CDN 37, Ortiz was shot in the leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 10:29 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
I was reading about this earlier. More appropriately, I was reading commentary people were translating from Dominican sources. From said reports it sounds like the assailant was beaten by a crowd before capture and arrest.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:32 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I was reading about this earlier. More appropriately, I was reading commentary people were translating from Dominican sources. From said reports it sounds like the assailant was beaten by a crowd before capture and arrest.
Yep... sounds like a thorough beatdown.

David Ortiz shooting suspect identified as 25-year-old Eddy Feliz Garcia

ESPN reports that Colonel Frank Duran Mejia, spokesman of the Dominican National Police, identified the suspected gunman as 25-year-old Eddy Feliz Garcia.

Garcia was reportedly hospitalized Sunday after he was beaten by patrons at the The Dial Bar and Lounge, where the shooting took place Sunday night. A spokesperson for the Dominican Republic’s National Health Service told ESPN that Garcia suffered a cranium contusion and injuries to his thorax, knee and right leg. The suspect reportedly remains in police custody for questioning.

The 43-year-old Ortiz, known as “Big Papi," is in stable condition following six hours of surgery, his father Leo Ortiz told reporters outside the Abel Gonzalez clinic.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:44 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Money/fame + 3rd world country = trouble!

Get well soon and get out of that place!

Old 06-10-2019, 02:11 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
I'm glad that his life is apparently not threatened. I'm also confident that Mr. Ortiz would not have volunteered to be shot for this purpose, but the incident can only help his HoF chances. Ortiz comes with the stigma of PEDs use, having been named among those who tested positive in 2003. His popularity has been such that I suspected that he will be the first of the known PEDs abusers to get elected anyway. The sympathy that arises from being the victim of a gunshot should be enough to wash out whatever last doubts the voters might harbor.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:42 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
PED user = POS and a ban from entering the HOF. Wish him a speedy recovery, though.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
so sad, but it could have happened anywhere. Yes,3 world countries do have a higher crime rate and certainly this applies to Dominican Republic. Ir is such a pretty and charming part of the world, but so dangerous. We were there twice on vacation several years ago: never again.

Speedy recovery David!!!

Old 06-11-2019, 07:11 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Why???

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Big Papi.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:58 AM

468 posts, read 355,850 times
It was clearly a hit and I'll leave the reason behind the hit to our sensationalized media.....I will say he is idolized there ( how the alleged shooter was beaten and they were about to beat him to death but others intervened to prevent his attackers from killing him ) and he's very fortunate to have survived and that the shooter didn't shoot him higher or even in the back of his head as nobody was expecting what happened to happen as he was sitting there defenseless without a care in the world.

Kudos to the Boston Red Sox organization for acting quickly sending a plane for him so he could be admitted to Massachusetts General Hospital so he may receive the best treatment possible all on the dime of the Red Sox.

Wish for him a speedy recovery.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:12 PM

938 posts, read 445,877 times
I didn't like his PED use, but who the heck would want to shoot Big Papi?! He's a likable guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball