Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-31-2019, 10:26 AM
 
33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Reputation: 14946

Advertisements

Who would have thought......

After the games on Friday 8/30/19.......136 games into the schedule....three teams are tied for the best record in the majors.

The Astros, the Dodgers, and the Yankees are all 88-48.....88 wins, 48 losses....26 games remaining.

This got me to thinking...What are the various tie break scenarios (coming in to play if won-loss record is the same at the end of the regular season) for home field advantage ?....so I researched this, knowing that the current rules are pretty new (started in 2017, and it turns out that is per the collective bargaining agreement from December of 2016)

Astros Vs. Yankees:

Division vs. Wild Card....chances are both will be division winners, so the next tie break comes into play.

Head to Head.....The Astros and the Yankees have seven games together on the schedule. All of these games have already been played, in two series. Early in the season, the Yankees played three games in Houston, and the Astros swept all three. Then, later in the season, they played a four game series in New York. The Yankees won the first three games. The fourth game....on June 23rd.....Verlander won his 10th game of the season. So, if the Astros and the Yankees meet in the playoffs, and they finished the regular season with the same record, the Astros will have home field advantage in that series.





Yankees vs. Dodgers:

Division vs. Wild Card: Both will likely be division winners, but this isn't applicable re the World Series

Head to Head: The Yankees were to play the Dodgers three times this season, and all three games have already been played. It was a three game series in L.A., and the Yankees won two out of three. So, if the Yankees and the Dodgers play in the World Series, and finish the regular season with the same record, The Yankees will have home field advantage.





Dodgers vs. Astros:

Division vs. Wild Card: Not applicable re the World Series

Head to Head: zero games between the two during the regular season

The next tie breaker is.....

Record within their own division:

The Astros are currently at 42 (wins) and 15 (losses) within the AL West/their division, with 22 games within their division left to play (and those are their last 22 games of the season).

The Dodgers are currently at 38 (wins) and 21 (losses) within the NL West/their division, with 16 games within their division left to play (and 9 of those 16 are their last 9 games of the season).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2019, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Reputation: 21239
RMESMH ....

^ Thanks for taking the time to get it all nailed down for us. Three of Houston's remaining games are against KC, so they have 19 division games left rather than 22.

The non Astro teams in the AL West have a combined winning percentage of .479, the non Dodger teams in the NL West are at .489, so the strength of schedules are essentially even.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 10:13 PM
 
33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Reputation: 14946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
RMESMH ....

^ Thanks for taking the time to get it all nailed down for us. Three of Houston's remaining games are against KC, so they have 19 division games left rather than 22.

The non Astro teams in the AL West have a combined winning percentage of .479, the non Dodger teams in the NL West are at .489, so the strength of schedules are essentially even.
Thanks for the correction, and the additional info re opponents winning percentage.

Occasionally, when just thinking about it rather than looking at it printed on paper or directly on a screen, my thoughts re grouping slip back to the old pre Central Division days .

ETA: I just looked at the schedule again, and re where those three games fit in, that makes the last 11 games the Astros play as intra-division, rather than the last 22 games (the last 22 = 8 intra-division, then the 3 against the Royals, and then 11 intra-division).

Not a great day today . The A's lost to the Yankees, Tampa Bay won, And the Astros lost.

At least the Dodgers lost, Tampa Bay beat the one team ahead of both the A's and the Rays in the wild card race, and at least the Astros..if they had to lose....essentially lost at the hands of the son of beloved retired Astro and Hall of Famer Craig Biggio.

Last edited by RMESMH; 08-31-2019 at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 03:50 AM
 
33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Reputation: 14946
Just thought I'd update and include the next tie break for the Dodgers vs Astros (after intra-division record).


16 games left after Tuesday 9/10's games.


Astros and Yankees still with the same record.....95-51...thanks to 100 loss Detroit getting one run in the 9th to break the tie in their slugfest with the Yankees and beat them, to balance out (won/loss wise) the Astros 14 run differential loss to the A's.


The Dodgers won, so they are now one game behind the Yankees and Astros for the best record at 94-52.


As mentioned before, the next tie breaker after record (if the Dodgers and Astros end up with the same regular reason record is head to head.....


....and as mentioned before they play each other zero times during the regular season, so (as mentioned before) the next tie break is intra-division record....


Both the Dodgers and the Astros play 76 intra-division games this season.


The Dodgers have played 67 of those, and are 43-24....with 9 remaining.


The Astros have played 63 of those, and are 47-16.....with 13 remaining.


So the Astros have a '6 game lead' in that category.


Given that the Astros have a '6 game lead' in that category, it is probably unlikely that that the Astros and Dodgers could end up tied in that category......but it could happen.


If it does, the next tie break is record in intra-league games.


At the end of the season, both the Dodgers and Astros will have played 142 games intra-league games and 20 inter-league games.


The Dodgers have played 130 of those 142 (12 remaining....4 of their 16 left = vs AL teams) and are 86-44.


The Astros have played 126 of those 142 (all 16 remaining = vs AL teams) and are 84-42.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2019, 01:47 AM
 
33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Reputation: 14946
There are so few games remaining, that I decided to write out the remaining schedules for the three teams, side by side on a piece of paper. Today is Saturday 9/14 and, at this hour, zero of the 9/14 games have started .

All three, Astros...Yankees...and Dodgers...play 13 games in 16 days (9/14 -9/29).

All three teams have the next two Mondays off ((9/16 and 9/23)

All three teams play both of the next two Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

Next Thursday (9/19), the Yankees play the Angels in New York, and the Astros and Dodgers are off.

The Thursday after that (9/26), the Astros play the Angels in Anaheim, the Dodgers play the Padres in San Diego, and the Yankees are off.

For the last 6 days of the season (9/24 - 9/29), the Astros and the Dodgers play once each day...6 games each.

For those last 6 days, the Yankees play one game each day for 5 of those days, having 9/26 off.

All three teams are on the road for those last 6 days.

Each of the three ends their regular season home season with a game on Sunday 9/22.

On 9/29 the three games are scheduled to start with a maximum difference in starting time of two minutes, so there won't be many innings, if any, where the players have the result of one of the other two games on their minds on that last day of the regular season.


ETA: Before the start of play on 9/14, the Astros and Dodgers are both 96-53, and the Yankees are 97-52.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2019, 11:18 PM
 
33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Reputation: 14946
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
There are so few games remaining, that I decided to write out the remaining schedules for the three teams, side by side on a piece of paper. Today is Saturday 9/14 and, at this hour, zero of the 9/14 games have started .

All three, Astros...Yankees...and Dodgers...play 13 games in 16 days (9/14 -9/29).

All three teams have the next two Mondays off ((9/16 and 9/23)

All three teams play both of the next two Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

Next Thursday (9/19), the Yankees play the Angels in New York, and the Astros and Dodgers are off.

The Thursday after that (9/26), the Astros play the Angels in Anaheim, the Dodgers play the Padres in San Diego, and the Yankees are off.

For the last 6 days of the season (9/24 - 9/29), the Astros and the Dodgers play once each day...6 games each.

For those last 6 days, the Yankees play one game each day for 5 of those days, having 9/26 off.

All three teams are on the road for those last 6 days.

Each of the three ends their regular season home season with a game on Sunday 9/22.

On 9/29 the three games are scheduled to start with a maximum difference in starting time of two minutes, so there won't be many innings, if any, where the players have the result of one of the other two games on their minds on that last day of the regular season.


ETA: Before the start of play on 9/14, the Astros and Dodgers are both 96-53, and the Yankees are 97-52.

Now, after Saturday 9/21's games, this competition is still tight.


The Astros and Dodgers have each played 6 of their remaining 13, The Astros have gone 5-1 in their games, and the Dodgers 3-3 in theirs, Leaving the Astros at 101-54 and the Dodgers at 99-56.


The Yankees have played 7 of their last 13, going 4-3. They are now 101-55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2019, 08:02 AM
 
Location: USA
6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Now, after Saturday 9/21's games, this competition is still tight.


The Astros and Dodgers have each played 6 of their remaining 13, The Astros have gone 5-1 in their games, and the Dodgers 3-3 in theirs, Leaving the Astros at 101-54 and the Dodgers at 99-56.


The Yankees have played 7 of their last 13, going 4-3. They are now 101-55.
Astros have the edge here schedule-wise. They should win out for best record. The consolation prize is a potential ALDS matchup with the dangerous and pain in the a-- A's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top