Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 05:31 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Each MLB new idea for a plan is IMO, far more risk than reward.

I stand by my prior post. I truly think sports which cancel this season will be in stronger shape in future years than sports which do not.

I think any outbreaks incurred in sports re-opening will be far more devastating to them, both in 2020 and in years to come, for failing to make the difficult decisions at the most important time during each commissioner's tenure.
I believe what is in the mindset of the Commish and owners (all leagues) is that it could be "several years" before we get back to the old normal, so it is best to do what they can now to make some money and keep things alive. Plus they are getting some pressure from the White House as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 01:11 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
A very good read from Sean Dolittle about a 2020 season.

[i][i][b]Bear with me, but it feels like we've zoomed past the most important aspect of any MLB restart plan: health protections for players, families, staff, stadium workers and the workforce it would require to resume a season. Here are some things I'll be looking for in the proposal...

Because this is a novel virus, there is still so much we don't know - including the long-term effects. On top of respiratory issues, there's been evidence of kidney, intestinal, and liver damage, as well as neurological malfunctions, blood clots & strokes.

Covid-19 patients often develop lung scarring, or 'ground-glass opacities'. These were found even in asymptomatic patients, and because the virus often affects both lungs, can cause permanent damage in some cases. Definitely a concern for an athlete.

Research has shown Covid-19 may cause issues with male hormone ratios - even in younger men, which could lead to fertility complications. Not ideal. Extremely suboptimal. Zero stars.

We know that sharing indoor spaces greatly increases the infection risk, and it's rare that only 1 person gets sick. Will there be modifications made to clubhouses or other facilities to prevent a spread?

And we've learned that you release the most virus into your environment prior to symptoms even showing. So how frequently will we be testing to stay ahead of a potential spread and to mitigate as much risk as possible?

Fauci spoke about conducting an NFL season & indicated a need for daily testing. Baseball players might not be in close contact during a game the way football players are, but there is a lot of shared space in a clubhouse among players, coaches and staff.

So how many tests do we need to safely play during a pandemic? And not just tests for players. Baseball requires a massive workforce besides the players; coaches, clubhouse staff, security, grounds crews, umpires, gameday stadium staff, TV & media...we need to protect everyone.

And that's before we get to hotel workers and transportation workers (pilots, flight attendants, bus drivers). They are essential workers. We wouldn't be able to play a season without them, and they deserve the same protections.

We need to consider what level of risk we're willing to assume. 80% of cases are considered mild, but what if a player, a staff member, an auxiliary worker, or a family member gets a case that's in the 20% and they develop severe symptoms or chronic issues? 1 feels like too many?

There are a number of players & staff who have pre-existing conditions that they are aware of (and likely more who aren't yet). We need a plan that seriously considers the increased health concerns of any players, staff or workers who are at higher risk.

And if even mild cases can cause long-term health effects, will there be added healthcare benefits for players, staff and workers that will extend beyond their employment and into retirement to mitigate the unknown risks of putting on a baseball season during a pandemic?

We don't have a vaccine yet, and we don't really have any effective anti-viral treatments. What happens if there is a second wave? Hopefully we can come up with BOTH a proactive health plan focused on prevention AND a reactive plan aimed at containment.

Hopefully these concerns will be addressed in MLB's proposal, first and foremost: 1) what's the plan to ethically acquire enough tests? 2) what's the protocol if a player, staff member, or worker contracts the virus? We want to play. And we want everyone to stay safe.

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. I'm going to turn my phone off now. Best of luck to my mentions. Stay safe. Keep washing your hands and wearing your masks. I hope we get to play baseball for you again soon. ✌

Old 05-13-2020, 01:26 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Tongue-in-cheek:

"The 2018-2019 baseball season was the last."

"Covid-2020 and so forth will be the new normal, unless baseball can be played within human encapsulation."

An 82 game MLB season would be a "joke-season" and having just said this if so, NO PLAYOFFS OR WS IMO.

Old 10-13-2020, 05:38 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Max Muncy had a poor regular season (went from .889 OPS to .720) and has been killing LA in the post season so far. Coming into today he was batting .158/.385/.211, no home runs, two batted in. Today has been his best game so far, two walks in two trips to the plate.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:37 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Max Muncy had a poor regular season (went from .889 OPS to .720) and has been killing LA in the post season so far. Coming into today he was batting .158/.385/.211, no home runs, two batted in. Today has been his best game so far, two walks in two trips to the plate.
Hopefully he is on his way to better at bats now. HR late last night to bring the Dodgers within 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball