Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 06:15 PM

52,579 posts, read 47,723,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
I got a call from the Chicago Cubs today. Evidently I signed up for their season ticket waiting list ten years ago and my number finally came up. I dont remember doing it but this sounds like something I'd do after hearing of a ten year waiting list...
LOL. Ten years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 06:17 PM

I predict it comes down to this for Gerrit Cole: Either the Angels or the Yankees. Since he's from SoCal, it'd be in his hometown, and he'd fit in nicely in a Joe Maddon rotation. That can give him great flexibility should that team make the playoffs.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:23 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,976,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Farhan has to be super excited he'll get an extra draft pick now.
Yeah, but the Braves tied the A's for the fifth best record in baseball, so it will be toward the back of the special round for compensation picks. Still, you never know where you might find some gold.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:33 AM

835 posts, read 521,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Can you sell that spot to someone who wants tix w/out waiting?
Probably not. Would likely have to buy the tix and then sell them all to the other person. I do know the Cubs are very much against scalpers but they do encourage having ticket partners, splitting the season up, etc.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:52 PM

Yasmani Grandal is going to be a hot commodity for anyone needing a catcher. Where do you folks think he'll go?

Old 11-21-2019, 06:31 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,156,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I predict it comes down to this for Gerrit Cole: Either the Angels or the Yankees. Since he's from SoCal, it'd be in his hometown, and he'd fit in nicely in a Joe Maddon rotation. That can give him great flexibility should that team make the playoffs.

I could eventually be proven wrong, but I don't think the Yankees are going to dish out the exorbitant amount it will take to get Cole - it's not the George Steinbrenner Yankees plus they already have the "monkey contract" of Stanton as well as having Ellsbury (who just got released) contract that goes against their payroll for 2020 IMO. The Angels or a surprise team will get him, again IMO.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on a four-year, $73 million contract with free-agent All-Star catcher Yasmani Grandal, the team announced Thursday.
It is the biggest contract in the history of the White Sox franchise. Grandal, 31, will receive $18.25 million per season through 2023.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-year-73m-deal

Seems risky to me to commit to a four year deal with a 31 year old catcher. Catchers tend to decline faster than other position players because of the wear and tear of their duties.

This is the sort of move that a club which believes itself ready to be a contender, makes. Are the White Sox there?

Old 11-22-2019, 03:03 PM

Default I've Wondered Why This Hasn't Been Tried Before

Quote:
The New York Yankees intend to not pay Jacoby Ellsbury the remaining $26 million due under his contract, contending he violated the deal by receiving unauthorized medical treatment, sources confirmed to ESPN's Buster Olney on Friday.

According to multiple reports, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman sent a letter to Ellsbury and his agent, Scott Boras, informing them the team had converted his contract to a nonguaranteed deal.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ical-treatment

The Giants have had two instances of players clearly violating the terms of their contract, yet neither suffered any consequences from the club. In both cases it involved injuries sustained while riding motorcycles, which were forbidden by the contract language. First it was Jeff Kent, who also tried to lie his way out of it and claim the injury was from something else, and more recently Madison Bumgarner was doing motorcycle stunts during the regular season.

Both wound up missing time, neither was fined or had money deducted from their pay.

I do not imagine this Ellsbury business will go down without a fight, the MLBPA will definitely not want to see this sort of precedent established and I don't suppose Ellsbury is just going to shrug off the loss of 26 million dollars.

They should be careful though, you never know what a court might rule. If they issue an opinion in favor of the Yankees, that could open the door to canceling other long term contracts before they are fully paid.

Not that I truly care which millionaire prevails, but these sorts of things have long been one sided in favor of the players.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:32 PM

Zunino just got a 1-year deal with Tampa at catcher. They're hoping his offense returns to its previous level, and he's still capable.

There are rumors of an Astros-Jason Castro reunion. He was once their starting catcher and might re-up with them.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:37 PM

3,797 posts, read 4,642,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-year-73m-deal

Seems risky to me to commit to a four year deal with a 31 year old catcher. Catchers tend to decline faster than other position players because of the wear and tear of their duties.

This is the sort of move that a club which believes itself ready to be a contender, makes. Are the White Sox there?
I think they probably look at him being a DH the last year or so. I know he's not a great hitter but still got some power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball