Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 09:14 AM

6,901 posts, read 3,742,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Mookie is in the last year of his contract with the Red Sox. He has repeatedly said he is not loyal to just one team and will sign for the contract that is the best for his family. He has declined contract extensions with the Red Sox.

Obviously he is looking to set a record with his next contract. Reality is there is no difference for "his family" whether he stays in Boston for 300 million or goes somewhere else for 400 million. His kids won't need food stamps in the future. Sox seem indifferent to letting him go.

Does Mookie realize that Manny Machado went to San Diego on a big contract and they will never win a World Series in his career there? Mike Trout has the same issue with the Angels but hey at least he gets to live in LA and be the hometown celebrity.

I'm all for a player getting paid, but don't get stupid greedy and sacrifice your future!
Betts deserves whatever the market bears, bottom line.
I lived in LA and would live in SD in a heartbeat, Machado is fine with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 04:43 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You're wrapped around the contention that players should care about the team you care about. Many do, but there is certainly no requirement. You seem angry that players sign for the money. I say I don't blame them. This is precisely an "all about the Benjamins" issue. Mookie is smart enough to guarantee his financial future. If the Red Sox won't pay, someone will.

And please, don't come back with a "what is enough money" excuse. That will just show you're a homer.
Not loyalty to one team but to strive to be on a team that is in contention. Lets face it, even if the Marlins sign him to 500 million they are not going to the World Series in 2020.

Tom Brady has been a player that has taken pay cuts to stay on the winning franchise. Guy wants to win, he is in it for the win more than the money. I don't care what the athletes are making but I would like to see more players in it for the win.

If Mookie goes to the Yankees, he is in it for the chance to win (unlike Machado who went to the Padres).

Old 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Betts deserves whatever the market bears, bottom line.
I lived in LA and would live in SD in a heartbeat, Machado is fine with that.
FYI Machado just bought this Coral Gables (Miami) mansion:
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/bus...235547792.html

Old 11-26-2019, 06:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
If Mookie goes to the Yankees, he is in it for the chance to win (unlike Machado who went to the Padres).

However, bringing a title to a team that isn't used to winning them is much more of an accomplishment than going to a perennial contender and going along for the ride. LeBron's title after returning to Cleveland did much more for his legacy than all of his titles in Miami combined.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:09 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Quote:
Tom Brady has been a player that has taken pay cuts to stay on the winning franchise. Guy wants to win, he is in it for the win more than the money. I don't care what the athletes are making but I would like to see more players in it for the win.
Brady also has a spouse raking in more dough than he does plus endorsement money. He can afford to take a pay cut.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:58 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
What right do any of us have to expect a discount from any entertainer? That is what sports is.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:30 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,642 times
Betts should get the most money he can get. I feel this is what he will do. I do not have any problem with him doing this and leaving the Red Sox and I am a long time Red Sox fan. The Red Sox need to move him to get some value, otherwise it will be a 1 and done. For many athletes, the grass is always greener somewhere else.

Since the Red Sox are now playing the "budget" card, we can only assume that they will move him (if they can) rather than pay him 28 million or so for one season and then watch him walk away.

Just to be clear, I do not care about the cap. I would prefer the Red Sox sign Betts. I understand how pissed off John Henry must get watching "his" MLB tax money going to ahole owners like Nutting in Pittsburgh who then puts a AAAA team on the field with zero intention of competing. Ultimately, I just want the Red Sox to win. It is no less exciting because they might be over the cap.

Old 02-05-2020, 09:04 AM

Dodgers got him for a year..... Boston.com reported that he wanted 35mm a year in a 12 year dead (420mm). He is 27.5 yrs old now, can't see paying a 38-40 year old 35mm a year.

Hope he doesn't have a Bryce Harper final year, lower stats hurt his long term deal.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:14 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They won 84 with Betts having +6.8 WAR in 2019.

They are miles away from contention w/o Betts.
It isn't as though no one will be playing in Betts place. They are receiving the 23 year old Alex Verdugo who last season compiled 3.1 WAR in 109 games, which translates to 4.6 WAR over a full season. If Betts and Verdugo continue to perform at the same rate, the Sox would be losing 2.2 WAR, not the whole 6.8 which Betts provided. Plus we don't know whether or not Verdugo might mature into a 6-7 WAR type player.

How the Red Sox do in 2020 will be a consequence of how all their players perform, not just one guy. The Nationals never won a pennant or World Series with Bryce Harper, but they managed to do so immediately after his departure.

Having said that, it would seem that the major reason for the deal was restructuring the Sox payroll so as to avoid the luxury tax penalty. Betts will be making 27 million in 2020, Verdugo will cost $563,500, a savings of more than 25 million bucks.

The reason that Dombowski was shown the door was that his big spender approach is not sustainable. It was successful in that it brought them the 2018 championship, but teams assembled with a cost be damned approach tend to get more and more expensive and return less and less value as time unfolds.

I know that you believe that all the owners have inexhaustible piles of cash to throw at the players, but it doesn't work that way.

Last edited by Grandstander; 02-05-2020 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-05-2020, 12:16 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,704 times
Quote:
Dodgers got him for a year..... Boston.com reported that he wanted 35mm a year in a 12 year dead (420mm). He is 27.5 yrs old now, can't see paying a 38-40 year old 35mm a year.

Hope he doesn't have a Bryce Harper final year, lower stats hurt his long term deal.

For at least a year, the Dodgers have the money to resign him if they want to. If not, we have a deep farm system or make another trade or free agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball