Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 07:23 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,148,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Ordered a few books from Amazon, Billy Ball and War Fever, delayed Prime deliveries scheduled for 5/9. We'll see what happens first: baseball or I finish reading the books.
I ordered the Billy Ball book as well. May 7th-22nd delivery window. The last Amazon book order I made took 15 days and 18 different stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 07:49 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,995,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I ordered the Billy Ball book as well. May 7th-22nd delivery window. The last Amazon book order I made took 15 days and 18 different stops.
My previous order came a few days earlier than anticipated but still took 13 days. Also ordered one used and that came in 7 days USPS.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:49 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,236,035 times
Will they finally put an end to all that spitting on the field and in the dugout?

Old 05-02-2020, 07:58 AM

1,361 posts, read 553,820 times
We are actually looking forward to no baseball this year.

Signed,

Seattle Mariners fans

Old 05-05-2020, 03:55 AM

745 posts, read 480,965 times
The MLB season should be cancelled. Any attempt to play a modified season will be troublesome not only for the games and statistics but more importantly for the health of all involved.

The 1994 season was cancelled midway through and the sky never fell.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:56 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,699,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
The MLB season should be cancelled. Any attempt to play a modified season will be troublesome not only for the games and statistics but more importantly for the health of all involved.

The 1994 season was cancelled midway through and the sky never fell.
1994 was cancelled for an entirely different reason as you surely know.

I don't think statistics really matter to anybody. But obviously the health is a big issue. The thing that concerns me is if a player gets sick & next thing you know more teammates get sick you could literally have no team to field & that could cause some major problems in the season.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:52 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,148,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post

I don't think statistics really matter to anybody.
Not that the love of statistics is any reason to defy the virus, but stats do matter to some people, me among them. I'm annoyed by breaks in the flow and the need to explain special circumstances. For example, how many NL East titles did the Braves win consecutively? The streak is interrupted by the '94 strike where the Expos were in first place when the rest of the season was canceled, but of course the Expos didn't win the division, so, does this count as a break in the Braves streak? You have to explain all that when talking about Atlanta's stretch of domination.

My love of the numbers is also why I will never forgive the 'roid boys and their bogus intrusions into the record books, especially the 60 plus home run group of Sosa, McGwire and Bonds.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:45 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
When is MLB baseball going to start?

I think they can make it happen because every position player on the field [outfield, infield] are at least 8 feet apart.

Make 1st baseman, batter wear a face mask like the umpire ones.

They should start the season soon!
What about the dugouts/benches? I guess since there will be no fans in the stadium, they could pretty easily find a way to social distance.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:50 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,887,255 times
Quote:
I think they need to just play normal. If you have to test players temperature before games that sounds legit. But other than that & testing by swabs what else needs to be done?

These players are in great shape, young & even if one caught something more than likely would be okay.
What about when that player goes home (could have young children or older parents), goes to a store, or comes into contact with a sick or vulnerable person? Not to mention that the virus has been shown to randomly kill a small minority of "young and healthy" people

Old 05-06-2020, 04:16 AM

745 posts, read 480,965 times
Quote:

I don't think statistics really matter to anybody. But obviously the health is a big issue. The thing that concerns me is if a player gets sick & next thing you know more teammates get sick you could literally have no team to field & that could cause some major problems in the season.
(Editing to add): Yes, 1994 was cancelled for a sorry reason overall, but the game recovered from that is my main point.(end of edit)

I agree, in the overall scheme of things (i.e. compared to the pandemic), the stats aren't important. But in the context of the game itself, to the fans and the players, it has meaning.

I just feel at this point if they had a let's say a 50 game season, it would look pretty silly, and I don't think fans of the northern teams (Mets, Yankees, Red Sox etc) who normally attend games want to see their teams playing in Florida or Arizona as has been proposed.

I recall at least one player stating he was not willing to leave his family while this is going on. I suspect others feel the same.

Last edited by AlmostSeniorinNJ; 05-06-2020 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: added text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball