Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 07:02 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,304,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
(Editing to add): Yes, 1994 was cancelled for a sorry reason overall, but the game recovered from that is my main point.(end of edit)

I agree, in the overall scheme of things (i.e. compared to the pandemic), the stats aren't important. But in the context of the game itself, to the fans and the players, it has meaning.

I just feel at this point if they had a let's say a 50 game season, it would look pretty silly, and I don't think fans of the northern teams (Mets, Yankees, Red Sox etc) who normally attend games want to see their teams playing in Florida or Arizona as has been proposed.

I recall at least one player stating he was not willing to leave his family while this is going on. I suspect others feel the same.

If indeed there is a season this summer (which the odds are now good there will be) it will be more like 100 games played in all ML ballparks. The Arizona, Florida thing is now dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 10:10 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,699,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Not that the love of statistics is any reason to defy the virus, but stats do matter to some people, me among them. I'm annoyed by breaks in the flow and the need to explain special circumstances. For example, how many NL East titles did the Braves win consecutively? The streak is interrupted by the '94 strike where the Expos were in first place when the rest of the season was canceled, but of course the Expos didn't win the division, so, does this count as a break in the Braves streak? You have to explain all that when talking about Atlanta's stretch of domination.

My love of the numbers is also why I will never forgive the 'roid boys and their bogus intrusions into the record books, especially the 60 plus home run group of Sosa, McGwire and Bonds.

I love stats to. I meant more in terms of ownership & major league baseball revenue. If it means making millions & millions of revenue but stats aren't the same in terms of judging i do not think they think to much about it.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
What about when that player goes home (could have young children or older parents), goes to a store, or comes into contact with a sick or vulnerable person? Not to mention that the virus has been shown to randomly kill a small minority of "young and healthy" people

Sounds like the players should just shelter at home all day every day. Do you think these players aren't already going out & doing stuff? Do you think they aren't out going to the grocery store already?

And if they are around older people in their family that's on them. I'm sorry but it amazes me how millions of grocery store workers are around people everyday & they still work. But a small % of change that players getting sick & catching it baseball should be shut down?

Old 05-06-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
(Editing to add): Yes, 1994 was cancelled for a sorry reason overall, but the game recovered from that is my main point.(end of edit)

I agree, in the overall scheme of things (i.e. compared to the pandemic), the stats aren't important. But in the context of the game itself, to the fans and the players, it has meaning.

I just feel at this point if they had a let's say a 50 game season, it would look pretty silly, and I don't think fans of the northern teams (Mets, Yankees, Red Sox etc) who normally attend games want to see their teams playing in Florida or Arizona as has been proposed.

I recall at least one player stating he was not willing to leave his family while this is going on. I suspect others feel the same.
I don't disagree with you about the low amount of games being played. I don't want a season if it means 60 games. I wonder what that amount would be for me personally. I could see being okay with 100 but lower than that it seems to be pushing it.

The idea about Arizona being a place for all teams is what I think the players were not happy about in terms of being away from their family. I get it. Kershaw was vocal about that.

But if they get to play at their home stadiums & can play 100 games I do not see what the big deal would be from a players standpoint. They'd be with their families still at home.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:55 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,329,864 times
https://www.12up.com/posts/mlb-insid...83cPN5Y2eHSERU

MLB fans that are pleading for the return of their favorite sport were given a brief glimmer of hope when former MLB infielder Trevor Plouffe claimed to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Plouffe cited a source this week that informed him the league is targeting a June 10 Spring Training restart and a July 1 start to the season.

Old 05-07-2020, 04:47 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
https://www.12up.com/posts/mlb-insid...83cPN5Y2eHSERU

MLB fans that are pleading for the return of their favorite sport were given a brief glimmer of hope when former MLB infielder Trevor Plouffe claimed to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Plouffe cited a source this week that informed him the league is targeting a June 10 Spring Training restart and a July 1 start to the season.
That is the plan, but not a done deal yet. There are still a few obstacles. The biggest one may be salaries. MLB is set to present their plan to the Players Association this week. It was already agreed upon by both parties that salaries would be pro-rated based on the number of games scheduled. However the rumor is the league may ask the players to take a further cut to their salaries to compensate for the loss of revenue due to no ticket sales.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:01 AM

749 posts, read 582,277 times
I agree Grandstander.
Stats matter. And the players will have 1 year less playing time in their careers.
MLB has many ideas floating to start again...they cannot decide. They could at least play exhibition games as a last resort. Permit only 25% of full attendance?

I miss baseball. It's Not the summer without it.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:58 PM

356 posts, read 320,369 times
Baseball is starting and playing in South Korea
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-from-the-kbo/

Old 05-09-2020, 09:01 PM

Baseball face masks:

Old 05-09-2020, 09:05 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball