Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 11:49 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,689,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
I agree Grandstander.
Stats matter. And the players will have 1 year less playing time in their careers.
MLB has many ideas floating to start again...they cannot decide. They could at least play exhibition games as a last resort. Permit only 25% of full attendance?

I miss baseball. It's Not the summer without it.
Exhibition games? What would be the point of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 03:29 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,562,395 times
Regardless of how this unfolds, always keep in mind it's the players, not the owners that are taking the health risk should games resume. I have every reason to believe that will be a narrative owners will hope fans won't think about because there are already indications they want to nickle and dime return salaries.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:08 AM

745 posts, read 479,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Regardless of how this unfolds, always keep in mind it's the players, not the owners that are taking the health risk should games resume. I have every reason to believe that will be a narrative owners will hope fans won't think about because there are already indications they want to nickle and dime return salaries.
Correct, it is the players that are at risk, as well as anyone that may be in contact with them such as trainers, batboys and other clubhouse staff.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:10 AM

745 posts, read 479,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Sounds like the players should just shelter at home all day every day. Do you think these players aren't already going out & doing stuff? Do you think they aren't out going to the grocery store already?

And if they are around older people in their family that's on them. I'm sorry but it amazes me how millions of grocery store workers are around people everyday & they still work. But a small % of change that players getting sick & catching it baseball should be shut down?
Players may be going to the grocery stores now, etc. But having them travel to be among others will increase their risk.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:13 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,398,910 times
Quote:
Sounds like the players should just shelter at home all day every day. Do you think these players aren't already going out & doing stuff? Do you think they aren't out going to the grocery store already?

And if they are around older people in their family that's on them. I'm sorry but it amazes me how millions of grocery store workers are around people everyday & they still work. But a small % of change that players getting sick & catching it baseball should be shut down?
The poster was simply responding to your words: "These players are in great shape, young & even if one caught something more than likely would be okay." Why anyone would need to explain to you the other issues beyond the player getting sick is kind of hard to understand at this point in time.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:08 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,869 times
Team owners approve the latest draft to a 2020 season. 82 game regular schedule. Wildcard gets expanded with 14 teams getting a playoff birth. Now it is up to the players assoc.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...preps-see-next

Old 05-11-2020, 03:10 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
When is MLB baseball going to start?

I think they can make it happen because every position player on the field [outfield, infield] are at least 8 feet apart.

Make 1st baseman, batter wear a face mask like the umpire ones.

They should start the season soon!

Breaking News: KTRH-AM (740) in Houston just reported that MLB is proposing a 4th of July start to the 2020 season, with spring training beginning after the middle of June. MLB's website has not yet revealed it. The DH would also be expanded into the National League. There will be more details forthcoming, but let's be ready.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:28 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,689,627 times
Sean Doolittle made some good points in a tweet. I think he's the rep for the Nationals.

He expressed concern about not just the players but everybody involved. I think I kinda am more in favor of no baseball in 2020.

We are already setting up a season to be completely different. I could feel different if things started & I started seeing my team win. But it really is going to be very different & I think all it will take is an outbreak of some kind for the commisioner to cancel the season.

The players also have a right to be concerned because even healthy people who recover from this are now finding out that their lungs are damaged etc.. This could cause issues years from now. Does that mean MLB will cover the costs for that? I could see players expecting that & rightfully so.

I just think the cons out weigh the pros at this point.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:08 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,869 times
Quote:
Sean Doolittle made some good points in a tweet. I think he's the rep for the Nationals.

He expressed concern about not just the players but everybody involved. I think I kinda am more in favor of no baseball in 2020.

We are already setting up a season to be completely different. I could feel different if things started & I started seeing my team win. But it really is going to be very different & I think all it will take is an outbreak of some kind for the commisioner to cancel the season.

The players also have a right to be concerned because even healthy people who recover from this are now finding out that their lungs are damaged etc.. This could cause issues years from now. Does that mean MLB will cover the costs for that? I could see players expecting that & rightfully so.

You could be right, especially for what the owners are going to offer the players in form of compensation. Some of the younger players may be disappointed , but the veterans will see things the way Doolittle sees them.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:27 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:

As much as I love MLB and miss it, I tend to agree with you. Taking a year off won't "kill" us (Pun intended).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball