Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 04:28 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,328,531 times

Advertisements

What will the players get paid if they play no games? Where does that stand now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 06:11 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,146,101 times
Tampa Bay pitcher Blake Snell checks in with an especially unselfish pov:
Quote:
"Y'all gotta understand, man, for me to go -- for me to take a pay cut is not happening, because the risk is through the roof," Snell said while answering questions on his Twitch channel. "It's a shorter season, less pay.

"No, I gotta get my money. I'm not playing unless I get mine, OK? And that's just the way it is for me. Like, I'm sorry you guys think differently, but the risk is way the hell higher and the amount of money I'm making is way lower. Why would I think about doing that?"
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...reduced-salary

Snell is in the second year of a five year, 50 million dollar contract.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:52 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,572,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

He also works for Stuart Sternberg, estimated net worth 800 million dollars. No statement from Sternberg on his willingness to take an additional reduced salary, travel with the team or divest part of his MLB holdings in order to play a shortened season.

I'm always reminded of this lovely quote about actors from MGM's Louis B Mayer whenever the question of the value of an athlete is to a professional sports organization.

"We are the only kind of company whose assets all walk out of the gate at night."

Last edited by take57; 05-16-2020 at 12:09 AM..

Old 05-16-2020, 05:40 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,303,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Seems Snell is gaining support for his stance. Harper and Arenado have publicly supported Snell and others are in agreement but not yet spoken. This prompted Manfred in a CNN interview to say , any players that want to opt out of are welcome to do so. So what happens if some of the biggest stars decide to sit out the season? Best to just put it to bed and plan for 2021, and hope for the best.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:30 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,572,323 times
The Chicago Tribune (sorry, I tapped out my free link) has a great story covering some actual numbers MLB is using in their talks with cutting a deal with the players. There appears to be some real Hollywood accounting going on. A couple of standouts are the owners somehow project the each game will be more expensive as the shortened season progresses. (I didn't see they factored in the possibility that there may be fans attending at some point later) There's also a lot of counting and not counting revenue and losses from MLB.TV when convenient (the league owns that enterprise). I also get the impression they are using a full park in their loss per game projections ($640k/game). No word if beer & hot dogs are figured in.

Warm up your calculators, it's a pretty good read.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:40 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,698,153 times
I just read the details of what would need to be done & it's an absolute joke. They should just cancel the season to avoid history looking back at such a laughable game.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:09 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,146,101 times
This link will take you to an article outlining MLB's proposed rules for playing the games.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...afety-protocol

They are pretty severe, and have to be approved by the MLBPA before being implemented.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:06 AM

9,765 posts, read 7,485,605 times
Yeah I read the proposed rules this morning and yah I'll pass. Close up shop and get ready to go next year.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:38 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,994,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Yeah I read the proposed rules this morning and yah I'll pass. Close up shop and get ready to go next year.
It's not for you to pass on. If the owners and players are on board, great. If not, oh well. It's hilarious reading those in no way impacted by these proposals griping about it.

Old 05-20-2020, 01:49 AM

9,373 posts, read 14,325,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
It's not for you to pass on. If the owners and players are on board, great. If not, oh well. It's hilarious reading those in no way impacted by these proposals griping about it.
O c'mon, the guy was just expressing an opinion in an imperative mood. At the same time, all opinions are hilarious, true.

I read through the article and my impression is that the proposed rules would be difficult and uncomfortable to implement, basically unworkable, which seems to be also the opinion of some players whose comments have been published.

Grandstander mentions that the proposed rules have to be approved by the MLBPA before being implemented.

How does that work technically? Has a vote by all the players or their representatives been scheduled? Who has the final decision-making power? Is it collective? Assuming State and county officials lift restrictions on competitive sports (seems New York and California governors want to) can one group, such as the owners and the League, impose a decision on the players by virtue of binding contract?

Something similar is happening in terms of grade schools: yesterday officials in the county where I live conducted an online survey of parents about the workability of social distancing rules in schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball