Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 03:11 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,592,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
How about Cleveland Flames?

In honor of the river catching on fire??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 11:28 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,646,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
So much cu(kery in America.

The sad thing about this is a small minority of Natives are offended with names like "Indians". The majority of Natives couldn't care less, or outright are fans of teams like the "Chiefs" and "Blackhawks".
I am indigenous. It's complicated. I genuinely believe the players, team managers, and many fans are reverent of the "Indians" as a symbol. The same goes for the R#dskins. I read what Joe Theismann had to say about it. He really thought it was done in respect.

Here is what ruins it. Divide the fanbase into cohort A and cohort B. The former is reverent and respectful. The latter (albeit smaller) would be comprised of irreverent fans who promote the negative stereotypes: alcoholism, red face paint, inaccurate clothing, etc. The worse is "scalp em". That is definitely racist and pejorative. Scalping was actually used by Colonial Spain as a form of genocide on tribes of the southwest. There was a scalp bounty system on the men, women, and even children. But the Indians usually get blamed for "scalping". So, when the unruly fans of cohort B start using that term it becomes very offensive for many indigenous people.

So, as with Washington, I am convinced may fans, players, managers, etc. are genuinely respectful of the symbol. It's just that when those unruly fans show up it gets offensive really quick. That cohort B of the fanbase pretty much closed the curtains on the name with their behavior.

FSU has a unique situation that the Seminoles of Florida actually approved the usage as a symbol. They managed to resist Manifest Destiny in the early 1800s and are actually revered in FL for their survival story deep in the Everglades of colonial times. Florida is awesome this time of the year when it gets cold in the midwest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awuuzRUs4xQ

Old 12-15-2020, 09:38 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,260,161 times
It sucks. I'm not going to sit here and indicate I relate to Native Americans. If they feel a certain way, I get that, and I respect that of course.

But as a native and lifelong resident of NE Ohio, the Indians have given me a lot of good memories. The 90's, my childhood, was full of thrill with the teams they had, especially with the Browns moving to Baltimore in 1995, it was so much fun to see the Indians have one of the best teams in MLB history (even though they didn't win the WS, the talent was crazy though). As I've gotten older, I'm not much of a fan of MLB anymore. I like when the Indians won, but wasn't a huge fan anymore, I didn't watch much. Baseball bores me these days. But, the new team name basically means I'm just done with MLB. It'll basically be an expansion team and I have no relation to it.

Basically, I'm a very nostalgic person, and it just sucks that the Indians will be no more. Sure, bigger things in life to care about, I get that, and again, I'm not saying it's right or wrong because people have the right to feel a certain way. But yeah, just sucks it's come to this.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:08 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,651,860 times
Pretty much as I predicted, first they don't like chief wahoo, then when get that eliminated they will want a name change, then they'll demand 10% of the players to be NA, then the manger and then the owners will all have to be NA, and so on. the fact is that no NA has even been denied an apartment, or a bank loan or has been fired because of that baseball team in Cleveland, the only people whos opinion matters is the fans they spend the money and time supporting the team, if they aren't bothered by it the rest of us should just shut up.

Old 12-18-2020, 12:54 PM

3,467 posts, read 3,388,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
So much cu(kery in America.

The sad thing about this is a small minority of Natives are offended with names like "Indians". The majority of Natives couldn't care less, or outright are fans of teams like the "Chiefs" and "Blackhawks".
I remember one New York Post article, said at some predominately Native American high schools in western states that sport team names like Redskins, Indians, etc still were a thing. Also when I did a Navajo Reservation work camp trip with my church in 1999 in northern Arizona, that the local high school next to where we were staying had one of those supposed controversial names. I forget if they used Redskins, Braves, etc, but it was one of those.

And maybe it's just me, but aren't their bigger fish to fry than worrying about sport team names that supposedly are offensive to Native American tribes? What may offend one person, may not offend the next person. I have a feeling there's probably a slight silent majority to some level, who doesn't care if sport team names reference Native Americans. There already are a few vocal activists who whine about the Chicago Blackhawks NHL name and logo, and it's ridiculous people are worrying about that when there are bigger issues to deal with in the world. Don't forget the Atlanta Braves name and logo attracts controversy, too. Not just only for the tomahawk chop cheer, the Braves do. Btw I thought some Braves fans were still doing that, during the 2020 National League Championship Series in Arlington, TX.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:01 AM

801 posts, read 2,213,634 times
Dropping the name seems to be a done deal. So...if there is going to be a new name, I think the theme behind the Rock and Rock Hall of Fame makes sense. You get the Cleveland Rockers. And, when it's rally time, you crank up "We will We will rock you!" by Queen.

I think that's a lot better than what Washington's football team should be. Politics and football considered, I would call them the Washington Gridlockers.

Old 12-25-2020, 08:29 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,140,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Well it's not just the NFL's "Redskins" that is under review. Indians manager Terry Francona calling for name change.

"I think it's time to more forward," manager Terry Francona said during a Sunday press conference. "Even at my age, you don't want to be too old to learn or realize that maybe I've been ignorant of some things and to be ashamed of it and to try to be better."

He just wants to keep his job.

Old 12-26-2020, 02:33 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
He just wants to keep his job.
Doubt it. In this day and age people from the sports industry are much more progressive when it comes to social/cultural issues.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:19 PM

1,465 posts, read 623,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
Dropping the name seems to be a done deal. So...if there is going to be a new name, I think the theme behind the Rock and Rock Hall of Fame makes sense. You get the Cleveland Rockers. And, when it's rally time, you crank up "We will We will rock you!" by Queen.

I think that's a lot better than what Washington's football team should be. Politics and football considered, I would call them the Washington Gridlockers.
The Rock and Roll HOF should actually be called 'The Music HOF.'

Old 01-03-2021, 04:29 PM

2,559 posts, read 2,222,437 times
A little over the top?:

https://www.aafnation.com/products/c...qgpxvQv9E3Lr5k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball