Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 09:44 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,396,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier de Saint-George View Post
The Cleveland Tribe would be much better than Spiders and less offensive than Indians. Tribe would join names like Warrior, Chiefs, Braves, and maybe Blackhawks (not a slur to a group of people like Redskin).

If that doesn't work, at least get a name that is tied in with Cleveland but allow them to keep the team colors and C logo. I'm a Braves supporter and we're keeping our name and logo but may have to scrap the FSU chant (the team's working with native groups and may come with a more authentic hype-rally chant and theme).
I agree with getting rid of the caricature they used but the name Indians is fine. AIM the American Indian Movement. The trouble with it is every name you mentioned can be considered offensive. In particular Blackhawks it could be argued should receive a royalty on every piece of merchandise sold. Royals glorify the slavery and oppression caused by a monarchy, Padres is the evil Catholics, Yankees has negative connotations.

Hurricanes, tornados etc are catastrophes and for the people that suffer them these type of names ar a slap in the face. Animal names… I could go on forever. Once you bend to the woke it never ends.

The list goes on and on and the thing is the new name the Indians chose is laughably bad. The only fair way to do it would be if everybody does like the redskins and just drops names and mascots entirely for the sake of all of us to feel equal.

Anyway I was going to cancel my MLB because they screwed up the app for me on Apple TV to the point it is unusable. Things like this and recently calling having an all female broadcast team historic is going too far. I am not normally rabid about such things but it is getting ridiculous.

Let’s change the names of chess pieces to represent equity in regards to gender next shall we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 11:27 AM

17,551 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Here's my Logo suggestion

Cleveland Indians name change?-s-l300.jpg

Old 07-23-2021, 11:52 AM

198 posts, read 100,731 times
Lame name, even lamer logos. Why change the script? I was hoping for Cleveland Baseball Club. Offends no one, put Cleveland on all the shirts, done. At first, I didn't like Washington as the Washington Football Team, but now I see the wisdom. Choosing a new name only stirs more controversy, so why bother with a name at all... Focus on the city only.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:53 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I agree with getting rid of the caricature they used but the name Indians is fine. AIM the American Indian Movement. The trouble with it is every name you mentioned can be considered offensive. In particular Blackhawks it could be argued should receive a royalty on every piece of merchandise sold. Royals glorify the slavery and oppression caused by a monarchy, Padres is the evil Catholics, Yankees has negative connotations.

Hurricanes, tornados etc are catastrophes and for the people that suffer them these type of names ar a slap in the face. Animal names… I could go on forever. Once you bend to the woke it never ends.

The list goes on and on and the thing is the new name the Indians chose is laughably bad. The only fair way to do it would be if everybody does like the redskins and just drops names and mascots entirely for the sake of all of us to feel equal.

Anyway I was going to cancel my MLB because they screwed up the app for me on Apple TV to the point it is unusable. Things like this and recently calling having an all female broadcast team historic is going too far. I am not normally rabid about such things but it is getting ridiculous.

Let’s change the names of chess pieces to represent equity in regards to gender next shall we?
Good Post. I'm with you on your opinions.

I was either hoping for the Cleveland Indiginous People or the Cleveland Baseball Team. Atlanta should change from the Atlanta Braves to the Atlanta Shrinking Violets. Cleveland could have used that mascot as well the way they just sucked up to the Woke crowd.

They should have just dumped the Indian mascot logo and left it at that.

Old 07-23-2021, 11:59 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Misery loves company.

This Redskins fan extends his condolences.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:13 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I always thought those "guardians" on the bridge were very cool.

Not crazy that the team was forced to be "PC", but the new name is not bad. Better than the "Spiders" I suppose.
I agree. I think it works.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:14 PM

9,495 posts, read 9,807,609 times
I guess the Braves are not worried.

Old 07-23-2021, 02:00 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,049,454 times
Should be : Cleveland Cowards .

Old 07-23-2021, 03:07 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
I heard they supposedly had 1,200 names in their initial group to choose from, I would be curious to know what the other ones in their Top 10 or Top 5 were after Guardians?

I guess when Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 comes out, they can have endless tie-ins!

Old 07-23-2021, 03:35 PM

1,465 posts, read 622,024 times
Lousy name.

Isn't ownership still selling merchandise with Chief Wahoo on it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball