Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 04:58 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,304,420 times

Advertisements

My Favorite Podcaster is charged up with the name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwY1zdO4UXs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 08:30 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,134,013 times
I really like the name Guardians, but I think they could've done something much better with the logo. Maybe a guardian of traffic holding a baseball instead of a car?

As for the people complaining about the name change, how would you feel if the team were named "The Asians" or "The Blacks" and it had a stereotypical logo of those people? "The Indians" is really no different. Naming a team after a race of people and making a caricature of them perpetuates stereotypes and racism.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:50 AM

1,465 posts, read 623,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I really like the name Guardians, but I think they could've done something much better with the logo. Maybe a guardian of traffic holding a baseball instead of a car?

As for the people complaining about the name change, how would you feel if the team were named "The Asians" or "The Blacks" and it had a stereotypical logo of those people? "The Indians" is really no different. Naming a team after a race of people and making a caricature of them perpetuates stereotypes and racism.
Nobody seems to be crying about the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.

They were honoring and showing respect by using the name Indians, btw.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:59 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,779,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
It's Guardians

Rumor has it the owner wanted to reuse as many of the existing letters to save money - LOL

Somewhere someone is using CGI to mock up a team photo with as many players in old Ford Galaxy with a caption "Guardians of the Galaxy"
The "Doldrums" Paul and Larry Doldrum strike again lol! The same owners who couldn't afford to keep Michael Brantley or Francisco Lindor, who traded away CC Sabathia and Cliff Lee, and who dumpster dive when other teams are actually recruiting true talent. With the Doldrums, such a rumor is actually believable even given how absurd it sounds.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:04 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,134,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post

I know everyone uses both of those arguments. People think it's okay because the stereotype of American Indians in popular culture is "noble warriors" rather than something more negative. But the fact is no matter what the stereotype is, whether it's positive or negative, it's dehumanizing.

The Fighting Irish would probably be just as offensive if the Irish were consistently depicted throughout all of popular culture as violent and short tempered. But the fact is that there isn't much stereotyping of Irish American people in American pop culture. Maybe in the distant past there was, but not much today.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:05 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,769,593 times
Quote:

If you live in Cleveland and like the name, ultimately that's all that matters.
Still sounds like arena football to me.
Unfortunately, as a Royals fan, I'm going to be exposed to it a lot. Maybe I'll get used to it.
Yeah, the name "Royals" can also be a weird one, but it's been around a long time now and it's relatively inoffensive to most people. I associate it with Kansas City's cattle industry and history of sports names more than any particular crown. Most Americans, especially baseball fans, are probably the same way.
Hopefully, the Chiefs can avoid the name change. It has a more positive connotation and is in line with KC's ongoing theme of naming teams after those in charge: Monarchs, Kings, Royals, etc. There's nothing racist about the name itself.

Not to be insensitive, but I never think of native Americans when I see the Indians logos. I think of sports. It's been around so long I hate to see the name go.
But, I can see how it bothers some people.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:44 AM

4,876 posts, read 6,939,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
If you live in Cleveland and like the name, ultimately that's all that matters.
Still sounds like arena football to me.
Unfortunately, as a Royals fan, I'm going to be exposed to it a lot. Maybe I'll get used to it.
Yeah, the name "Royals" can also be a weird one, but it's been around a long time now and it's relatively inoffensive to most people. I associate it with Kansas City's cattle industry and history of sports names more than any particular crown. Most Americans, especially baseball fans, are probably the same way.
Hopefully, the Chiefs can avoid the name change. It has a more positive connotation and is in line with KC's ongoing theme of naming teams after those in charge: Monarchs, Kings, Royals, etc. There's nothing racist about the name itself.

Not to be insensitive, but I never think of native Americans when I see the Indians logos. I think of sports. It's been around so long I hate to see the name go.
But, I can see how it bothers some people.
People may think otherwise, but I believe the Royals name had more to do with the logo of Hallmark Cards which was headquartered in KC. Remember the old ballpark and the scoreboard? Straight from the Hallmark Hall of Fame.

I could somewhat see a point in the name Redskins possibly being derogatory, but not names like Warriors, Braves, or Chiefs. Come on people, get a grip. Sports team owners, stick up against the nonsense.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:12 AM

3,698 posts, read 2,420,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post

No one is complaining about the Vikings, either./

I've always thought the logo of Cleveland was a bit hokey, but the name is fine.

It's a good name in my opinion, but things change.

I'll jus think of the team as "Cleveland."

Old 07-24-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I could somewhat see a point in the name Redskins possibly being derogatory, but not names like Warriors, Braves, or Chiefs. Come on people, get a grip. Sports team owners, stick up against the nonsense.

I like all three names and they are not derogatory, IMO.

Warrior can be translated to any language and culture, btw.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
The Fighting Irish would probably be just as offensive if the Irish were consistently depicted throughout all of popular culture as violent and short tempered. But the fact is that there isn't much stereotyping of Irish American people in American pop culture. Maybe in the distant past there was, but not much today.
I have not heard of a professional sport team referring to indigenous Americans as "violent" or "short tempered."

Nortre Dame is French anyway.

None of these niks for teams makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball