Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 05:05 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times

Advertisements

Well it's not just the NFL's "Redskins" that is under review. Indians manager Terry Francona calling for name change.

"I think it's time to more forward," manager Terry Francona said during a Sunday press conference. "Even at my age, you don't want to be too old to learn or realize that maybe I've been ignorant of some things and to be ashamed of it and to try to be better."

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/india...me-change-open
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 06:54 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
If the Cleveland Indians name truly offends native Americans and they are hurt by it, then yes a name change is in order. Over the years that this has been mentioned many times, Native Americans have spoken out that the Indians name does not bother them. I guess they are not as thin skinned as people think.

The history behind the Indians name is a bit cloudy. There is some talk about it being named after the first Indian player to play in MLB who was on the Cleveland Spiders team. Some say that the name was used to "mock" that player, or from a newspaper naming contest.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:19 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
I like the idea of honoring the only MLB player to die from an incident in the field of play who was a well loved player over a century ago. Ray Chapman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Chapman
Call them the Cleveland Chaps
They have already been named the Cleveland Naps in honor of Napoleon Lajoie.
https://baseball.fandom.com/wiki/Nap_Lajoie

Or to really mess with people call them the Cleveland Engines. At one time Cleveland made more automobile and truck engines than Detroit but that was long ago. Cleveland Screaming Engines has a "native" American sound to it, or something apt for the climate like Cleveland Thunderclouds or Thunderstorm.

Certainly MLB and the current franchise will not pursue revenues from continuing to sell such 'offensive' "Indians" merchandise?

Old 07-07-2020, 10:45 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Call them the Cleveland Chaps
That is far too grim for a team name, a constant reminder of a tragedy. Further, there is no one alive who can relate to the incident, it happened 100 years ago next month. It would be better to name them the Dobys after Larry, the first black to play in the American League, and would be in keeping with today's tendency to over correct injustices/offenses of the past.

They could revert to their old American Association/National League days and revive "Spiders" as their nickname, I don't think anyone would take offense on behalf of eight legged arthropods. Of course the Spider legacy isn't such an honorable one. Their owner purchased the St. Louis club while still owning the Cleveland franchise, and simply transferred all of the decent players to the Perfectos (future Cardinals.) Stripped of all talent, the Spiders famously went 20-134 in 1899 and disbanded the following year.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
That is far too grim for a team name, a constant reminder of a tragedy. Further, there is no one alive who can relate to the incident, it happened 100 years ago next month. It would be better to name them the Dobys after Larry, the first black to play in the American League, and would be in keeping with today's tendency to over correct injustices/offenses of the past.

They could revert to their old American Association/National League days and revive "Spiders" as their nickname, I don't think anyone would take offense on behalf of eight legged arthropods. Of course the Spider legacy isn't such an honorable one. Their owner purchased the St. Louis club while still owning the Cleveland franchise, and simply transferred all of the decent players to the Perfectos (future Cardinals.) Stripped of all talent, the Spiders famously went 20-134 in 1899 and disbanded the following year.

True.

If the are named the Doby's they will certainly become "Dooby's" to all the marijuana lovers.

Since Cleveland is more of a medical renowned city in current time, I wonder if the Cleveland Surgeons would get any traction. Specially if they are wearing masks for covid 19.

Some others being considered:

Cleveland Buzzards / Vultures (some local history here) but seems a negative.

Cleveland Guardians (we have historic bridge with Guardians of transit sculptures). In sight of Ballpark and approaching it. I like it.

The two local minor league teams have good names -perhaps (Lake County) Captains or (Lake Erie) Crushers could be used. They both are fitting. Also had Soccer teams in past known as Crunch and Force. Force has positive connotations (the MISL team actually won a championship) and can be utilized in multitude of ways which might appeal to the marketing merchandise promotion aspect of today's sports.

Old 07-08-2020, 01:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
^ The Force isn't a bad idea, everyone will tie it into Star Wars with no promotional help needed. The problem would be when individual players were being identified. "He's a Giant"..."He's a Diamondback"..."He's an Oriole"...but "He's a Force?"

Since Cleveland's major tourist attraction is the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, why not "The Rockers?" or would that be too much of a reminder of another racist, John Rocker? If they called them "The Rollers" everyone would think that they are a Roller Derby team.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:15 PM

380 posts, read 125,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Well it's not just the NFL's "Redskins" that is under review. Indians manager Terry Francona calling for name change.

"I think it's time to more forward," manager Terry Francona said during a Sunday press conference. "Even at my age, you don't want to be too old to learn or realize that maybe I've been ignorant of some things and to be ashamed of it and to try to be better."

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/india...me-change-open
HAHA! Terry feels 'guilty.' Just another pandering coward.

If the name truly offends the majority of the Native American population, then change it. If not, tell the 'woke' white idiots to go pound sand. (I know, that's a pipe dream)

Old 07-08-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
^ The Force isn't a bad idea, everyone will tie it into Star Wars with no promotional help needed. The problem would be when individual players were being identified. "He's a Giant"..."He's a Diamondback"..."He's an Oriole"...but "He's a Force?"

Since Cleveland's major tourist attraction is the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, why not "The Rockers?" or would that be too much of a reminder of another racist, John Rocker? If they called them "The Rollers" everyone would think that they are a Roller Derby team.

We had a WNBA team named the Rockers, its a good possibility. Rollers sound like Roller Derby connotations to me too.

Here's another thought, usually in a rock n roll band - which member has the archetype of 'cool'. Drummer! And we have had a local guy, John Adams, who has become a local icon who sits in the bleachers and has pounded away for the past 45 years. So I'm thinking a rockin' drummer image with baseball bats as drumsticks and a drum designed to appear baseball like.

Plus Henry Mancini of hollywood soundtrack fame was from Cleveland and it would be cool way to introduce all players initially with Peter Gunn theme as walk up song to show team unity instead of all the various other stuff that is played. Sort of build a totally new rockin roll jazz motif to the team. Heck just call them the Cleveland Riff! Oops we have a semi pro quidditch team here unbeknownst to me when I searched Cleveland Riff.. haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=296wS9ome4M

Coyotes would be another interesting option.

The last comment made me think of another funny one. Cleveland Peace Pipes and then play Smoke that Peace Pipe smoke it right as the team theme song...

Last edited by ciceropolo; 07-08-2020 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 07-09-2020, 05:24 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Instead of cancelling all these games, they should play them all but start the game in the 8th inning. Could play 3 or 4 games everyday that way.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:17 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdaen View Post
HAHA! Terry feels 'guilty.' Just another pandering coward.

If the name truly offends the majority of the Native American population, then change it. If not, tell the 'woke' white idiots to go pound sand. (I know, that's a pipe dream)

I, for one, am just sick and tired of political correctness and its infestation on all aspects of life. Sports like baseball are supposed to be a respite from the daily routine. I'm going to call that team the Cleveland Indians, and I just don't give a damn about the five people out there who are offended by every little thing. Millions of baseball fans are not offended at all. It's just a mascot name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball