Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 10:34 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,019,176 times

Advertisements

I don't see how it could be returned to it's current state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 01:27 PM

339 posts, read 127,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Agree. Seems it would be more costly to revert it back to it's current state than just keep the new construction.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,146,101 times
Let's see. They are building a fake temporary stadium to try and duplicate the fake stadium which was built for a fictional movie based on a novel.

Maybe they can find some of the bats used in "Bull Durham", some balls left over from "Bad News Bears", and wear the New York Knights uniforms found in "The Natural."

Old 08-10-2019, 08:46 AM

4,875 posts, read 6,937,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Let's see. They are building a fake temporary stadium to try and duplicate the fake stadium which was built for a fictional movie based on a novel.

Maybe they can find some of the bats used in "Bull Durham", some balls left over from "Bad News Bears", and wear the New York Knights uniforms found in "The Natural."
Frankly, I hate these gimmicks. An 8,000 capacity venue with temporary seats is essentially a joke. It's currently a very cool place per what people have told me (I've never been there yet). Try not to destroy it just to satisfy a few corporate people who really aren't true fans of the game.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:04 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 1 day ago)

52,704 posts, read 47,996,677 times
Exclamation Despite The Best Of Intentions.....

Um, can you say "standing room only"?

Old 08-13-2019, 07:09 AM

66 posts, read 47,455 times
Default White Sox, Yankees to play at 'Field of Dreams' in 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FCkWbrX_1E
Quote:
ABC News
Published on Aug 9, 2019

Major League Baseball announced the New York Yankees will play the Chicago White Sox next season at the Iowa farm used in the 1989 hit movie.
This is a cool idea, any thoughts of this?

Old 08-13-2019, 07:14 AM

66 posts, read 47,455 times
I didnt look for another thread on this topic before I posted that video of this. I could have just shared in here. Maybe a mod will merge my thread with this thread.

I havent been to the field and cant remember the movie that much but I love baseball. love this idea of the small stadiums in other locations for games.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:19 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,282,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
It wouldn't be hard. The temporary park will be built on the same property, but some distance away from the current facility. The new construction won't impact the current site at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9999 View Post
Agree. Seems it would be more costly to revert it back to it's current state than just keep the new construction.
Not when you consider the cost of keeping that much flat, black farm ground out of production. There is some local speculation that the stadium itself might be maintained and used for other purposes, but I don't see it bringing in as much revenue on an annual basis as 180 bushel/acre corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It's going to be a replica of Comiskey Park circa 1919, not the current field.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:35 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,146,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

As in celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Black Sox sellout?

Old 08-13-2019, 03:42 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,559,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It wouldn't be hard. The temporary park will be built on the same property, but some distance away from the current facility. The new construction won't impact the current site at all.

Not when you consider the cost of keeping that much flat, black farm ground out of production. There is some local speculation that the stadium itself might be maintained and used for other purposes, but I don't see it bringing in as much revenue on an annual basis as 180 bushel/acre corn.

Yeah. You’re right.

On Friday night I did a quick search, and came up with the separate Wikipedia page about the field, rather than the movie, but I don’t remember anything else pertinent that came up with that more general search I did.

I just did another search that was helped along by what you included (that I bolded above), and probably the passage of a few days that may have allowed for more articles to be posted.

The first hit from the search I just did, a story that posted to theweek.com, did indeed confirm that the temporary stadium to seat 8,000 will be built as an attempt to replicate Comiskey Park circa 1919.

The Wikipedia article about the field did mention that temporary bleachers were brought in to help accommodate 6,000 for the Team of Dreams celebrity game in 2013, but that was on the current/original/‘movie’ field.

In 1990, a neighboring farmer organized the ‘Ghost Players’ to play for tourists once a month. The Ghost Players returned in 2013.

In 1991 and 1992 charity games were played there that raised over $100,000.

In 2006, Alamo Drafthouse did there ‘rolling roadshow there, screening the movie, and Kevin Costner and his band showed up and played.

Over Father’s Day weekend in 2014, there were a series of events to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the movie, which included an exhibition game that featured Costner and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball