Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 07:49 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,698,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This is completely off-topic, but are baseball cards a thing anymore? I was born in the 80's and was a teen in the 90's and remember how popular they were. It's one of life's simple pleasures that have gone by the wayside. I still remember being super stoked when I randomly got Ken Griffey Junior's Upper Deck rookie card in a pack (I think it was in 1990). It was worth over $100 then (there were card stores you could go to and sell it back then). I'm thinking it would be worth a lot now. I have a bunch of cards stored in boxes in my parents house like that, lol. I remember I had a Wade Boggs card that was worth a pretty penny back then. It would be interesting to see if I could cash out a lot for them now but I'm too lazy to investigate
Griffey Jr rookie card is 1989 Upper Deck.

Unfortunately most cards products in the 80's & 90's are not worth much. If it's a rookie card & in good condition you might have something. But chances are not as much as you hoped.

Most cards now only hold value if they are graded by a company.

I also was a big collector and realized most of what I have was worthless so I put the basic common cards by teams in hopes of at least giving team sets away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 08:03 AM

9 posts, read 3,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
This is either going to turn out really good or be a complete and utter disaster. I don't see much of a middle ground. 2011 was a long ass time ago, and the game has pretty much done a 180 if not a complete 360 in terms of how you manage and run a team than that October night in 2011 when La Russa walked into the sunset with a World Series title.
I'm leaning towards disaster with this one. Not only has the game changed drastically since the last time he managed, but there's a pretty strong link between him and players *allegedly* using steroids on his past teams. I never thought he was a great manager to begin with, just benefited from having talented rosters.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:18 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 days ago)

52,706 posts, read 47,996,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
He’s 76 years old....must really be getting sick of quarantine life to want to go back on the road again.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...76-new-manager
Tony was once a great manager, but he's just too old to do this. Now, to dispel that, he'll obviously have to win a division title.

Old 03-14-2021, 05:48 PM

749 posts, read 582,063 times
I am shocked that LaRussa is back. He might be the oldest manager in the majors--ever.
It won't be easy for a 76 year old. Maybe it will be just a year til they find someone else.

He once said that the key to winning is knowing how to handle the relief pitchers. I agree.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:28 AM

25 posts, read 19,915 times
Connie Mack managed until he was 87...

Old 03-28-2024, 01:57 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,079,778 times
Today is Opening Day, Tigers at White Sox
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-28-2024, 04:51 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,154,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Today is Opening Day, Tigers at White Sox
Very interesting.....Did the Sox show up?

Old 04-28-2024, 05:50 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 days ago)

52,706 posts, read 47,996,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Very interesting.....Did the Sox show up?
Well, from all indications, it appears the White Sox haven't shown up in their first 28 games.

Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM

18,226 posts, read 25,876,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Well, from all indications, it appears the White Sox haven't shown up in their first 28 games.

The Colorado Rockies are not far behind!!

At least the White Sox won a World Series not too many years ago!

Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM

4,875 posts, read 6,937,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
The Colorado Rockies are not far behind!!

At least the White Sox won a World Series not too many years ago!
The Minnesota Twins are riding their first 8 game winning streak since 2011. 5 of the 8 have been courtesy of the White Sox.

Don't give up hope White Sox fans. When the Twins had their last 8 game winning streak, they ended up LOSING 99 games that year. The season is young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball