Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:00 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times

Advertisements

Dome, Sweet Dome!

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | DET@MIN: Kelly can't track the ball at the Metrodome - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Twins pitching and defense continue to keep them in the games long enough for something good to happen. Hoping for the sweep today but I always figured this would be the toughest one to pull off. Baker has been pitching well but brings in an 0 - 0 / 10.1 ERA vs. Detroit for 2009. Surprised Leyland is going with Robertson given his 0 - 2 starting record in '09 and his 1 -2 / 6.84 ERA vs. Twins last year.

Twins need to keep the pressure on and hope they remember that they had the White Sox primed for a sweep in the dome a couple weeks back but left them off the hook with a rare blown-save by Nathan. He's had his day off so he should be ready to revert to his top form for today so let's hope he get's a chance to pitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 08:42 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,451,235 times
The Tigers blow. I cheer for them because they're the Detroit team, but I have never actually disliked a team that I followed the way I do this one. The only reason they've stayed in first all season is that they're playing in one of the worst divisions in baseball history. Everyone knew they would allow the Twins to stay in it and catch them in the end. They had so many opportunities to blow the division wide open, but the reality is that they're a slightly better than mediocre team with a ton of broken down, overpaid players that can't hit in any situation. Verlander, Porcello, Polanco, and Cabrera are the only legit players on that roster. The rest of them could fall off the face of the earth and no one would notice. If I had a dollar for every runner those idiots have left on base this year I'd be scouting beachfront property in Hawaii. They cannot hit - AT ALL. Granderson went from an explosive, game changing player to just another chump that's lost in the batters box this year. Someone (probably that moron batting coach McClendon) told him he was a home run hitter at some point, and ever since then his game has tanked. He must have started smoking crack with Dontrelle somewhere along the way, because he's sure been playing like it. Leyland is a senile, chain smoking invalid. His refusal to sit Laird and Everett in favor of the better bats of Avila and Santiago has been nothing short of maddening, and has undoubtably cost us piles of runs and games.

Then there's good ol' Dave Dombrowksi, the GM. All you need to know about this guy is that he gave Dontrelle Willis - who should be a homeless guy on the street in the real world - 30 million dollars before he threw a single pitch in a Detroit uniform.......knowing damn well the guy had started to go downhill the 2 seasons before. He was already paying Gary Sheffield millions to play for the Mets this year because of the ridiculous contract he gave him......and the there's MAGGLIO. A career power hitter who routinely hit .300 , with 30 homers and 100 RBI's hits SEVEN homers with FORTY RBI's this year (post steroid syndrome?), and the Tigers STILL allow him to get enough AB's to vest and snatch ANOTHER 15 million bucks out of their coffer next season. Why? Because they're afraid of Magglio's agent Scott Boras, who made a fuss earlier in the season when it became obvious the Tigers were going to bench Ordonez or try to get rid of him. Marcus Thames hits a homer once or twice a month and does nothing the rest of the time. Brandon Inge got off to a great start, then got gimpy, and instead of being shut down remained in the lineup, while obviously spending more time at the tattoo parlor than in the batting cage during that stretch. Now he looks like a total thug, and is back to being the non productive pansy he was the previous 2 years.

It is certainly a pleasure to watch Verlander and Porcello work, and Polanco and Cabrera are solid major league hitters. Aside from them, the Tigers are nothing more than a perscription for Zoloft. This should have been a fun, exciting season for Detroit baseball fans, and instead it's been nothing but constant frustration watching these guys continually shoot themselves in the foot by letting teams like Kansas City walk all over them in the heat of a playoff chase. We know we can't beat Minnesota, and we never expected to, so that's why it was so important to open the lead up before we went head to head with them at the tail end of the schedule. They just couldn't do it.

In case you haven't figured it out, I am not happy with the way the Tigers handled things this year, and the bad contracts Dombrowski has doled out are going to severely hamstring them in the years to come. This includes the extension they gave Jim Leyland, who in my honest opinion, should be fired for the way his team has imploded these past few weeks....much of it due to his poor lineup choices and decision making.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:58 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,933,785 times
Wow Northman. The therapy session you just wrote could have cost you thousands of dollars on a psychiatrist's couch.

Your analysis of Detroit does appear spot on. However, this thing still isn't close to over. Win or lose tonight, I think it's still going to come down to the series IN Detroit. The Twins' bench and secondary players have really been stepping up lately and who would have thought. With both Crede and Morneau (and their 45 combined homeruns) out for the season, who would have guessed that everyone else would pick up the slack.

Right now the most feared hitter in the league may very well be Michael Cuddyer.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:32 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Tigers avoided disaster today; and leave that diaper dome 3 games up.

GO GET 'EM DETROIT TIGERS!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:13 PM

25 posts, read 36,264 times
Wow, Northman! What an analysis! It sounds like you know what you are talking about.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 AM

Dear Chicago White Sox,

Congratulations on your city's defeat of the defending champion Pittsburgh Steelers yesterday. You did our division proud (not so much for your neighbors to the north).

Say, I'm going to the store to pick up some smokes and beer, is there anything I could get for you? My that's a nice sweater you are wearing, is it new?

Will you be coming to the baseball game tonight? We could let you know how it turns out if you have something else to do and just want to phone it in. We always enjoy seeing Ozzie but maybe with the stress he has been dealing with he could just stay home and have a nice bath.

Yours Truly,
The Minnesota Twins

Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,492,660 times
http://ozzie-ball.mlblogs.com/IMG_1551.JPG (broken link)

Game 163 last year, when we blacked it out. Pretty amazing memory. Enjoy missing the playoffs AGAIN, twinkies.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:43 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
I put the limit of any team at 5GB, if it's one month left of the season, yeah you're in it but you're on life support. Now with two weeks left if you're not 3GB then you are done sir.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post

Game 163 last year, when we blacked it out. Pretty amazing memory. Enjoy missing the playoffs AGAIN, twinkies.
Whitey...you are getting verrry, verrry sleepy. Your eyes are very heavy. You are very tired. Sleeeeeep, sleeeeep....

You need to lay down and go to sleeep, sleeep.....

Old 09-21-2009, 03:09 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,492,660 times
Quote:
Whitey...you are getting verrry, verrry sleepy. Your eyes are very heavy. You are very tired. Sleeeeeep, sleeeeep....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball