Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 03:54 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,381,030 times

Advertisements

I assume that purchased tickets will be honored at later games.

Now I hear that the upcoming series with the Rays will be played in St. Pete with the Orioles as the home team. I've never heard of this happening before either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 03:55 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,330,011 times
Shocking. I respect the cause the protesters are lobbying for, but those who have caused violence are making those peaceful protesters look bad.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:17 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,381,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In June of 1979, the Oakland A's who were on their way to losing 108 games that season, played a home game against the Indians which drew only 1,175 fans. Had I not been there it would have been 1,174. I think that figure was how many tickets they had sold, not how many people were actually there because it looked like there were fewer than a thousand fans on hand.
The website omgfacts.com states that the A's played a 1979 game before 653 people and this may be the game you attended. The site states that this was the all-time record until 2011 when the Marlins drew only 347 fans because of Hurricane Irene.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:36 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,243,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Now I hear that the upcoming series with the Rays will be played in St. Pete with the Orioles as the home team. I've never heard of this happening before either.
In 2010 when the G20 Summit was held in Toronto, the Blue Jays were forced to move their home series against the Phillies to Philadelphia. Toronto was the "home" team during the games (i.e. batted last) and wore their home uniforms while Philadelphia wore their road uniforms.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:48 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,243,365 times
Quote:
The website omgfacts.com states that the A's played a 1979 game before 653 people and this may be the game you attended. The site states that this was the all-time record until 2011 when the Marlins drew only 347 fans because of Hurricane Irene.
There were probably many games back in the day where teams drew under 347 fans. Heck, I think in three different seasons during the 1930s, the St. Louis Browns failed to draw 100,000 fans for the season. I also have books that discuss and/or show pictures of some very low attendance games in the 1950s and 1960s, such as a Philadelphia A's/Washington Senators game in 1954 at Griffith Stadium in Washington that I think drew 460 fans and a New York Yankees game in 1966 that drew only 400 something fans. (With the latter game, which was televised in New York, Yankees announcer Red Barber commented on the low turnout and had the cameras pan around the nearly empty Yankee Stadium. The Yankees ownership hated Barber's action and fired him shortly thereafter. The 1966 Yankees finished last in the 10 team American League; it was the franchise's first last place finish since 1912 and first after their 4 1/2 decade run of dominance from 1921 to 1964 when they won 29 AL pennants and 20 World Series titles in 44 seasons.)

Old 04-28-2015, 05:42 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,871,803 times
Good notes by Chip72. I remember that situation well.

The Yankee owners at that time was CBS,who bought the Yankees from Dan Topping and Del Webb in 1964. Beings as CBS televised the games back then it had to have been awkward for them to see the game and hear the commentary.

Back to topic, this scenario is something that just seems inconceivable to me,but I certainly understand the reasons for it. Sad, very sad.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:54 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,141,542 times
Quote:
The website omgfacts.com states that the A's played a 1979 game before 653 people and this may be the game you attended.
That was an April game against the Mariners, I wasn't there for that. My game, with the 1,175 fans was only the 4th lowest in attendance that season for Oakland. They had an September game against the Rangers which drew 750 fans, and the second game of that series only had 1057 on hand.

It was a terrible team, finishing last in virtually every statistical category, hitting, pitching and fielding. Their pattern was to fall behind early in the game and then fail to rally.

As fate would have it, that fall Billy Martin punched out a marshmallow salesman in Minnesota and got fired from the Yankees for the second time. As fate would further have it, Charley Finley was desperately looking for a buyer for the club and the top offer on the table was just over five million dollars. Finley figured that hiring Martin would jack up the value of the club simply by all the attention Martin always attracted, so he signed him to a two year deal.

And of course Martin worked the same instant turn around magic he always worked, the A's went from 54 wins in '79 to 83 wins in '80, and then won the division in '81. Attendance went way up and the value of the club increased.

Finley sold the club in '81 for 12.5 million bucks to the Levi Strauss people who were willing to spend to win.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:21 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,481,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Yup, you didn't misread it. Thanks to the rioting and the citywide curfew in Baltimore, the Orioles will play to an empty Camden Yards tomorrow. It'll be the lowest-attended MLB game since the Expos moved to DC.

Baltimore Orioles-Chicago White Sox series finale will be played Wednesday, closed to public

Looks like CSKA Moscow who had to play a UEFA champions league home match with 0 fans because of rioting at an earlier home game.

BTW, if Samardjiza walks 12 straight batters on 48 pitches, but nobody is there to see it, does it really happen??

Old 04-28-2015, 07:28 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,481,580 times
Quote:
I assume that purchased tickets will be honored at later games.

That's happened plenty of times! Most of the time it's because of a postponement from the final game of a series that a team only visits once, so they'll make up that final game at the other team's ballpark but the home team from city 1 will be the designated "home" team even though they are on the road.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:38 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 16 hours ago)

52,700 posts, read 47,981,010 times
Leave it to a few sorry folks who ruin it all for baseball fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball