Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 08:45 AM

1,948 posts, read 908,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
The Orioles are not moving out of Baltimore. Nashville is one of six locations they may someday get a team through expansion. However I believe Portland and Montreal are the two most likely to get a team next.
Ooo Montreal? I don't think. That would be a tough sell because they had a team and it left town. IMO cities that lose teams, it's difficult for another to return. The final few years the Expos were in Montreal, their attendance was terrible. Literally nobody attended the games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 09:03 AM

6,401 posts, read 8,915,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Ooo Montreal? I don't think. That would be a tough sell because they had a team and it left town. IMO cities that lose teams, it's difficult for another to return. The final few years the Expos were in Montreal, their attendance was terrible. Literally nobody attended the games.
With good cause. Ownership sold off all quality players, the product was abysmal and Olympic Stadium was a dump.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:04 AM

4,751 posts, read 3,253,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
As I stated in a previous post once having a team in the past is insignificant. Especially when it was over 15 years ago. DC and Milwaukee went through a span with no team. The Rays already had proposed playing half their games in Montreal, but leasing issues with Tampa shot that down. My guess eventually the Rays will end up in Montreal as soon as their lease expires with Tampa.

As far as any expansion, that is a long way off. Most MLB teams have been suffering in attendance over the past several years, pre covid of course. Of the 6 possible expansion sites named by MLB (Portland, Vegas, Charlotte, Nashville, Montreal and Vancouver) Nashville is close to the bottom if not on the bottom of that list.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:51 PM

8,769 posts, read 10,170,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So.. This is interesting.. Would Charlotte support an MLB team?

Of course, they support the Panthers well.. and 'Charlotte' is a large area. They'll draw people from Upstate of SC, Western NC/Eastern TN and even up to Raleigh.

They have a LARGE number of minor league teams around there, tho. You've got the AAA Knights, the A Intimidators (Though I believe there was a name change there recently) And then you have teams in Asheville and Greenville..

But.. the closest team is Atlanta. And if they wound up in the NL, you'd have a natural rivalry with Washington and Atlanta.

And, the Knights were the highest attendance minor league team 4 of the past 5 years. But that's only 8000 some odd fans.

I'm willing to bet that Washington and Atlanta would probably oppose it.. But I do think Charlotte could support a team.
I live here and I completely disagree. It might do okay for the first few years but unless the team is the 2nd coming of the 90s Yankees or something, expect a lot of empty seats especially in the dead heat of summer. People from Raleigh, SC, TN, etc. probably won't really care one way or another, or at least it won't be enough to make up any difference when the locals stop showing up.

Nashville is pretty much in the same boat as Charlotte but they do have one thing going for them, and that is the tourism sector. A Nashville-based team will have the benefit of the bachelor parties and people coming to party, a Charlotte-based team won't.

I don't think any of this matters though, I don't forsee the O's relocating.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
As I stated in a previous post once having a team in the past is insignificant. Especially when it was over 15 years ago. DC and Milwaukee went through a span with no team. The Rays already had proposed playing half their games in Montreal, but leasing issues with Tampa shot that down. My guess eventually the Rays will end up in Montreal as soon as their lease expires with Tampa.

As far as any expansion, that is a long way off. Most MLB teams have been suffering in attendance over the past several years, pre covid of course. Of the 6 possible expansion sites named by MLB (Portland, Vegas, Charlotte, Nashville, Montreal and Vancouver) Nashville is close to the bottom if not on the bottom of that list.
I don't think a team in Montreal would draw, even if they had a good team. Honestly I don't think Canadian sports fans care about baseball. Montreal would care more about a second hockey franchise. And Boudrant brought up the stadium, unless it is renovated, I doubt the city would get a new one. The Nationals got a new stadium within 5 years of coming back to DC.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:32 AM

1,162 posts, read 452,507 times
Charlotte would make more sense than Nashville.

This is one crazy thread though. Orioles arnt leaving the best ballpark in baseball

Old 02-10-2021, 10:04 PM

8,769 posts, read 10,170,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post

This is one crazy thread though. Orioles arnt leaving the best ballpark in baseball
Disagree, neither is a slam-dunk but Nashville would be a popular road trip for visiting fans and people coming to town for the bachelor and bacherlotte parties.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:58 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,054,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonium View Post

What!? The Orioles moved to Pittsburgh!?

Old 02-12-2021, 09:13 PM

17,378 posts, read 14,906,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I live here and I completely disagree. It might do okay for the first few years but unless the team is the 2nd coming of the 90s Yankees or something, expect a lot of empty seats especially in the dead heat of summer. People from Raleigh, SC, TN, etc. probably won't really care one way or another, or at least it won't be enough to make up any difference when the locals stop showing up.

Nashville is pretty much in the same boat as Charlotte but they do have one thing going for them, and that is the tourism sector. A Nashville-based team will have the benefit of the bachelor parties and people coming to party, a Charlotte-based team won't.

I don't think any of this matters though, I don't forsee the O's relocating.

Well, i'm not talking Baltimore.. I was thinking more an expansion team.

I'm in Greenville.. And an awful lot of people from here go to Atlanta for Braves games. we support the Drive here pretty well, even though it's a Boston affiliate. Only reason the G-Braves left was stadium issues.

Again, my worry there is just the fact that there'd be so much competition. Obviously, the Knights would relocate. But just about every little town here in the Southeast has a minor league team. And it's a whole lot easier to justify spending $10 a ticket vs whatever a MLB ticket goes for nowadays (I paid $70+ for pretty generic seats at Wrigley 10 years ago)

When there's only 8 NFL games, you can justify ticket prices that high.. 81 MLB games.. Tougher sell.

I won't say you're wrong. Because I can see what you're saying coming true. But.. I look at bit more on the rosier side of it.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:06 AM

Expansion is such a hard sell. I don't see it right now. Not when you already have 30 teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball