Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2022, 09:06 PM

389 posts, read 398,886 times

Advertisements

If you ever seen batting practice, you will notice an abundance of baseballs provided.

Why does MLB want pitchers using a new ball every inning? Is it because they don’t want them to get a better grip on the ball or something? What is the reasoning behind this?

If that is the case, doesn’t it seem like a waste of time? In fact, this is probably what makes pitchers cheat and and use pine tar grips .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 10:05 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
My understanding on it, and I'm certainly not saying I'm right.. A 'new' baseball that has been mudded is used to keep things equal.

When a baseball hits the ground, is fouled off or hit by a bat.. It changes the surface of the ball.

Hitting the ground could scuff the ball, which could allow the pitcher to get a better grip or alter the flight path of the ball.

Foul or hit as well, could leave an indentation in the ball that would make it more erratic.

And.. A quick Google search says.. I'm completely wrong.

https://baseballtrainingworld.com/wh...-change-balls/

Quote:
Catchers constantly change baseballs because it is a rule set by the MLB and enforced by umpires. If an umpire notices a ball is scuffed or has dirt on it, a brand new baseball must be introduced into the game. This rule is in place to ensure hitters are able to clearly see every pitch.

I'll stick behind my reasons as secondary reasons, however. Makes sense.

Old 02-04-2022, 04:12 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
It’s not a new baseball after every pitch. If the ball doesn’t touch the ground, the umpire doesn’t replace the ball.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:33 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
My understanding on it, and I'm certainly not saying I'm right.. A 'new' baseball that has been mudded is used to keep things equal.

When a baseball hits the ground, is fouled off or hit by a bat.. It changes the surface of the ball.

Hitting the ground could scuff the ball, which could allow the pitcher to get a better grip or alter the flight path of the ball.

Foul or hit as well, could leave an indentation in the ball that would make it more erratic.

And.. A quick Google search says.. I'm completely wrong.

https://baseballtrainingworld.com/wh...-change-balls/

[/b]

I'll stick behind my reasons as secondary reasons, however. Makes sense.
You're not wrong.

The Chapman rule was implemented to specifically remove balls from the game that were dirty enough that they would be hard to see, particularly on cloudy days or in the late afternoon in the days before stadiums had lights. A clean ball that was scuffed, if noticed by the umpire, would be pulled from the game under the spitball ban that went into effect the season before Chapman was killed.

The reason they replace the ball every time it makes contact with the bat or the ground is for the reasons that you mentioned.

Old 02-07-2022, 07:43 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
The real reason is that a ball scuffed by hitting the ground helps the pitcher get more movement on their pitches. The rough surface area causes more resistance and will make a pitch break more than a smooth ball.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:36 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You're not wrong.

The Chapman rule was implemented to specifically remove balls from the game that were dirty enough that they would be hard to see, particularly on cloudy days or in the late afternoon in the days before stadiums had lights. A clean ball that was scuffed, if noticed by the umpire, would be pulled from the game under the spitball ban that went into effect the season before Chapman was killed.

The reason they replace the ball every time it makes contact with the bat or the ground is for the reasons that you mentioned.
You got it right...and most times the ump tosses a ball aside after a pitch hits the ground, it gets back in play later unless it's seriously scuffed....

BTW-- it's not a coincidence that the Dead Ball Era ended as The Chapman Rule came into effect-- an older, frequently hit ball is decidedly softer than a less used ball....If I were a sports stats guy, I'd go back to the records to see if most HRs hit prior to 1920 were hit in the early innings to prove that. I bet they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball