Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2021, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,465 posts, read 623,547 times
Reputation: 1933

Advertisements

Barry Bonds and Curt Schilling were close, but no cigar. Schilling wants to be taken off of next year's ballot.


First, with Bonds ... I'd rather not see players get in who cheated.


I don't think Schilling belongs, either. Yes, he was a stud in the postseason and collected three rings, but 216-146 and a career 3.46 ERA isn't doing it for me. He had too many crappy years.


If I had my way, I'd like to see some 'HOFers' removed. Harold Baines and Ted Lyons? Hall of Very Good.


There should be two tiers for HOFers - Tier 1 would have your Mike Schmidt's, Hank Aaron's and Joe DiMaggio's. Tier 2 would have your Ron Santo's, Tony Lazzeri's and Luis Aparacio's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2021, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
Reputation: 8507
How does Mike Mussina trail Curt Schilling for years at then magically become HOF worthy? The baseball writers are still a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2021, 08:55 AM
 
3,811 posts, read 4,696,911 times
Reputation: 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
How does Mike Mussina trail Curt Schilling for years at then magically become HOF worthy? The baseball writers are still a joke.
This is the part that gets me.

If Mussina is in Curt should be too.

Schilling also averaged 5+ war his last 13 seasons in the majors & that is included a WAR of 0 in 2005 when he went 8-8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2021, 08:59 AM
 
3,811 posts, read 4,696,911 times
Reputation: 3330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Barry Bonds and Curt Schilling were close, but no cigar. Schilling wants to be taken off of next year's ballot.


First, with Bonds ... I'd rather not see players get in who cheated.


I don't think Schilling belongs, either. Yes, he was a stud in the postseason and collected three rings, but 216-146 and a career 3.46 ERA isn't doing it for me. He had too many crappy years.


If I had my way, I'd like to see some 'HOFers' removed. Harold Baines and Ted Lyons? Hall of Very Good.


There should be two tiers for HOFers - Tier 1 would have your Mike Schmidt's, Hank Aaron's and Joe DiMaggio's. Tier 2 would have your Ron Santo's, Tony Lazzeri's and Luis Aparacio's.
Define crappy years? I count 2.

Keep in mind he also pitched during the steroid era.

I kind of agree with your idea about two tiers. I don't think it would ever happen but it would be interesting for historic purposes to see who was legit the best during there era & who was a very solid player that the average fan would remember be "Hall of Good".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2021, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,465 posts, read 623,547 times
Reputation: 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Define crappy years? I count 2.

Keep in mind he also pitched during the steroid era.

I kind of agree with your idea about two tiers. I don't think it would ever happen but it would be interesting for historic purposes to see who was legit the best during there era & who was a very solid player that the average fan would remember be "Hall of Good".
His first four and then seven after he was established. And I'm a fan of his ... He even admits he doesn't belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2021, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Phila & NYC
4,783 posts, read 3,303,157 times
Reputation: 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
This is the part that gets me.

If Mussina is in Curt should be too.

Schilling also averaged 5+ war his last 13 seasons in the majors & that is included a WAR of 0 in 2005 when he went 8-8.
Their stats are pretty comparable and while I agree they both belong in the HOF, when your an individual that is not well liked it will hurt you. Of course the writers should only be looking at talent and accomplishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2021, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Phila & NYC
4,783 posts, read 3,303,157 times
Reputation: 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Barry Bonds and Curt Schilling were close, but no cigar. Schilling wants to be taken off of next year's ballot.


First, with Bonds ... I'd rather not see players get in who cheated.


I don't think Schilling belongs, either. Yes, he was a stud in the postseason and collected three rings, but 216-146 and a career 3.46 ERA isn't doing it for me. He had too many crappy years.


If I had my way, I'd like to see some 'HOFers' removed. Harold Baines and Ted Lyons? Hall of Very Good.


There should be two tiers for HOFers - Tier 1 would have your Mike Schmidt's, Hank Aaron's and Joe DiMaggio's. Tier 2 would have your Ron Santo's, Tony Lazzeri's and Luis Aparacio's.
It's funny that one of Schillings former team-mates (Mitch Williams) says the same things. Of course it was well known there was no love lost between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2021, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
9,763 posts, read 7,481,580 times
Reputation: 4116
Schilling is a jack___. I'm happy he's not in. Sad thing for him is, he's the MLB equivalent of Donald Trump; if he keeps his mouth shut and deactivates his social media, he is going in with Jeter & Walker in July. He's his own worst enemy.

Bonds and Clemens I don't really care one way or the other. Everyone knows they cheated, but so were most guys of that era. I think unlike Alex Rodriguez & David Ortiz who also adamantly cheated but have repaired their images both in public and in the game itself, Clemens and Bonds haven't done yet, so I think both will be 10 & done after next year. I don't think A-Rod gets in at first, but I'd look for Ortiz to get in and maybe Scott Rolen or Todd Helton (depending on how their votes went this year) in for the class of '22.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2021, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,465 posts, read 623,547 times
Reputation: 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Their stats are pretty comparable and while I agree they both belong in the HOF, when your an individual that is not well liked it will hurt you. Of course the writers should only be looking at talent and accomplishment.
Mussina (although I'm not impressed with his ERA of 3.68) had a winning percentage of .638 compared to Schilling's .597. Mussina won 270 games ... for me to take Schilling seriously, he should have won 250, being he was in the league for 20 years.


I would have like to have seen Pedro Martinez with 25 more wins (He petered out at 33 and finished with only 219) under his belt, but a 2.93 ERA and a winning percentage of .687 is pretty awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2021, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,465 posts, read 623,547 times
Reputation: 1933
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Schilling is a jack___. I'm happy he's not in. Sad thing for him is, he's the MLB equivalent of Donald Trump; if he keeps his mouth shut and deactivates his social media, he is going in with Jeter & Walker in July. He's his own worst enemy.

Bonds and Clemens I don't really care one way or the other. Everyone knows they cheated, but so were most guys of that era. I think unlike Alex Rodriguez & David Ortiz who also adamantly cheated but have repaired their images both in public and in the game itself, Clemens and Bonds haven't done yet, so I think both will be 10 & done after next year. I don't think A-Rod gets in at first, but I'd look for Ortiz to get in and maybe Scott Rolen or Todd Helton (depending on how their votes went this year) in for the class of '22.
Would you say the same about Schilling if his politics aligned with your's? Because I can say the same about LeFraud James. OK, enough nonsense ...




Rolen? No way. Too many lackluster years, too many injuries. Gotta stay on the field.


Helton? IDK ... The .316 BA is nice, but I'd like to have seen more than 369 HRs from a 1Bman who played half his games in Colorado.
Although ... 2519 hits, 592 doubles, 1406 RBI and 1400 runs 17 seasons are probably Hall-worthy, but not first ballot. Definitely old-timers committee.


His weak postseasons aren't dong him any favors.

Last edited by Hedonism; 01-27-2021 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top