Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 04:37 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,689,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
Its amazing how people nitpick about Tropicana Field like its not better than their favorite park in a dozen different ways.

Cheapest tickets in the game, easiest parking, and has the least traffic.

Also, no rain-outs or delays, no threat of lightning, it's never too hot or too cold, no bad shadows at the plate, no sun in the players' or fans' eyes, and there's never any wind to help a ball out or keep it in play.

The Rays are also in the best division in all of sports so they host the Yankees and Red Sox 18+ times per year.

It's only flaw is that a ball hits a catwalk, not ”all the time”, but once per month. Most of those are the C and occasionally D rings which are no-brainer homeruns anyway. Some are in foul territory which are dead balls and would be unplayable in 90% of all parks. About 1-2 per year are in the infield which remain in play. Most of those are caught like the routine pop-ups they are.

The Marlins stadium is no different... except for a retractable roof which they barely open, horrible traffic, more expensive seats, and only inter-league NYY/BOS games.

It's only real flaw was relying on residents from Tampa to attend games. That's why the team will be relocated. It's not the ballpark.
I really liked The Metrodome for many of the same reasons you like Tropicana. I used to go to several Twins games every year. Only been to one since the new field. Before it was 70 and beautiful and a game was going to be played no matter the weather outside. Now I am not making a 600 mile round trip to sit in crappy weather or get rained out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 12:31 PM

12,172 posts, read 8,042,307 times
Favorite

1) Fenway Park
2) Wrigley Field
3) PNC Park
4) Orioles Camden yards

Old 04-16-2021, 07:45 PM

6,934 posts, read 3,766,904 times
Attended:
Yankee - Old and new
Citi & Shea
Vet
Dodger
Anaheim
Olympic
Wrigley
Fenway
Safeco & Kingdome
Comerica
Camden
Turner
Petco
Chase
Coliseum
AT&T-Oracle

Favorite - Petco, Anaheim
Honorable mentions - Dodger, Wrigley, Chase
Ugliest/Worst - Kingdome & Olympic, hands down
Overrated - Fenway

Old 04-19-2021, 08:31 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,744,776 times
Petco is my favorite now, especially with the growth of the Gaslamp neighborhood around the park. I love being able to stay walking distance away, with all the bars/restaurants nearby, and just 20-30 mins from great beaches.

One big advantage of Petco is you almost always have good weather, day or night, all season long. Fenway/Wrigley/PNC can be freezing beginning and end of the year, with rain delays at other times, and hot day time games occasionally. Oracle is freezing for most night games. It's also integrated into a neighborhood, the only other Western park like that besides Oracle is Coors, which shares the other stadiums' weather issues.

Unlike LA and Anaheim, it's a stadium that's great to walk to. In fact, I don't think there's another good weather stadium that's as walkable as Petco.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:34 PM

3,740 posts, read 2,571,124 times
Dodger

Old 04-24-2021, 12:56 PM

12,972 posts, read 9,672,214 times
Ebbets Field, from the images I've seen of it, I love it.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:14 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
These are the MLB ballparks I have seen a game in:

Current

Angel Stadium
Busch Stadium
Chase Field
Citi Field
Citizens Bank Park
Coors Field
Dodger Stadium
Fenway Park
Great American Ball Park
Kauffman Stadium
Nationals Park
Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Petco Park
PNC Park
Progressive Field
Truist Park
Yankee Stadium

Former

Turner Field
Veterans Stadium
Yankee Stadium

My favorite, out of all those is PNC Park, small, intimate, cheap, and the best downtown view in all of MLB!

I have also been to 70-80 MiLB ballparks to see games, many of which no longer have teams playing in them.

By the mid 2000s I had seen at least one game in every then current ballpark (and in some that were already defunct or had even been torn down at that point) in the majors. I've seen a game in every new park that has opened up since then....except for the new park for the Rangers, and I'll see a game there later this month....

.......and I agree....PNC is my favorite.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:14 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Coors is an awesome place to go watch a baseball game - even when the Rockies are a total dumpster fire (which is pretty much the norm). The stadium is downtown. There's nightlife all around it, and the views of the northern Front Range - especially as the sun sets - are spectacular.
I was going to say the same thing about Coors. The Rockies are usually not all that worth watching, but that is a nice place to enjoy a game. I'm not really even a big baseball fan but I still try to get to a few games every year, because it's just such a nice relaxing way to enjoy an evening out.

But I will say Fenway is my favorite - I lived in Boston (as an adult) for almost 25 years before moving to Denver and went to countless games there, esp. because a perk of my job for much of that time was access to free tickets. The park itself has plenty of flaws and a lot of the work they've done over the years is never going to be better than putting lipstick on a pig. But you can't beat the way you automatically become a part of history when you watch a game there.

Old 07-08-2021, 09:46 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

By the mid 2000s I had seen at least one game in every then current ballpark (and in some that were already defunct or had even been torn down at that point) in the majors. I've seen a game in every new park that has opened up since then....except for the new park for the Rangers, and I'll see a game there later this month....

.......and I agree....PNC is my favorite.
Well, it took me about two months (rather than later in the same month), but I made it to Globe Life Field for the Rangers/Tigers game yesterday.

I drove up from the Houston metro, inside the Texas Urban Triangle, to Waco...and then I-35 to I-35W to Fort Worth to I-30 to Arlington.

I got to the Stadiums/Six Flags area just after 12 noon (game started at 1:05).

I know there's a Walmart (with one row of shaded spaces) across the street from AT&T Stadium/aka 'Jerry's World', so I headed there and found a shaded space.

I needed to look up a few things on my iPad (should have done this beforehand ).....Are computer bags allowed (they are at Munite Maid park in Houston) ?...Answer..no..it appeared you could bring in a wallet that could hold a small device, but the website = only shows two dimensions/measurements (three are listed on signs at the ballpark). I decided to only bring my phone in order to make certain I wouldn't be turned away. I then researched parking a bit, and then headed towards the stadium on Randol Mill Rd. There is now a parking structure nearing completion next to the old/previous Rangers ballpark. It was open...but $60 for a covered space. I would have been willing to pay $25, but not $60. I continued on Randol Mill Rd, past Stadium Way, to get more of the lay of the land re parking. The first lot across Stadium Way from Globe Life Field is still a ballpark lot, and that is $25. IIRC, there was one more $25 lot, then two $20 lots, and then a $10 lot. I pulled into the $10 lot and asked the attendant if there were any shaded spaces. He said there might be a few in the back. I asked if I could look, and he agreed. I did find some in the back . The lot was about 1/3 full at that point. I'm guessing people, in this case, didn't first fill up the shaded spaces first because they were too lazy to walk the extra steps. I walked up to the attendant and asked if they took credit cards. He said yes, and just a minute (a person had just driven up to pay). There was a steady stream of about ten cars. Finally there was a break. He said he was sorry I had to wait and 'we're good' (I didn't have to pay anything).

I walked to the stadium. In that last $25 lot that is still east of Stadium way, I saw...in different parts of one row...four vehicles with California plates. Ive been living in Texas since the late 2000s and...over the course of the day....I've never seen as many vehicles in Texas with California plates in one day as I did yesterday.

I got in line, and they still had some of the $9 seats (I planned to walk around). I got my ticket, and made my way inside. I got in view of the field while the national anthem was still playing .

There are a couple of small things I might change, but I think they did a great job with the ballpark (FWIW, the roof was closed...cool inside and over 90 and humid outside). It was 'Nolan Ryan hotdogs for $1 day', so I waited in line and got a hot dog for $1.

There were probably a couple of hundred little kids there from a YMCA summer camp (all wearing the same T-shirt), enjoying themselves, with adults making sure they stayed together. It was nice to see. So normal/'non pandemic-ish'.

After giving myself a tour, I headed back to my seat. During my tour, Joey Gallo hit two solo home runs. I missed the first one (heard the roar, rushed to view the field, and saw the replay), but I saw the whole second home run.

I chatted with two guys sitting near me...both...like me...first visit to this new ballpark. One was a guy in his 70s (guessing) who lives in Arlington, and the other guy was there with his friend, his girlfriend, and his girlfriend's female friend. They had driven in from Oklahoma. The Oklahoma guy was a crackup when it came to the subject of California. While I was driving back to Houston, it occurred to me that he's a dead ringer for a conservative comedian, but I couldn't think of his name (when I finally did stop, I looked it up....he's a dead ringer for a young Larry the Cable Guy).

After the game, I got a large coffee and hung out at a Starbucks until the sun went down/heat abated a bit. I happened to notice a sign on one of the tables....linger while you sip your latte.

I then got gas at a Walmart 'Pickup' (on S Connor, just south of I-20)...$2.59 9/10 (Gas Buddy), and started the journey back to the Houston metro.

I really enjoyed the new park...It's one of the good ones ...but PNC is still my favorite.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:55 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,705,224 times
Miami Marlins Park . . . NO DOUBT the TOP DOG !!!!!

Rain or Shine . . No Games Postponed ..EVER !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball