Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 05:44 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Miami Marlins Park . . . NO DOUBT the TOP DOG !!!!!

Rain or Shine . . No Games Postponed ..EVER !!!!!
Marlins Park is an even bigger improvement over it's predecessor than the Rangers' new park is over it's predecessor because Joe Robbie/Hard Rock was built for football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 06:14 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,528,576 times
I've been to all current MLB parks with the exception of Braves, Astros, Rangers, Rays and Marlins. All the rest I have been to multiple times.

My favourites are:

Camden Yards: Well the O's are my team so I have been there many many time and I guess I am biased, but there is something about the Yards experience that is magic for me. Eutaw St is a big part of that.

PNC: The most beautiful setting on the river looking at the glorious Pittsburgh skyline.

Wrigley: The history and the neighbourhood make it an amazing experience.

I strangely really enjoy Oakland as well. Something about the age and poor facilities is appealing to me. I like to sit on the first baseline fence behind the bullpen.

To be honest, I love them all. Each has it's quirks and highlights and variety of foods. But if I had to nominate one that was underwhelming I would say Yankee Stadium. Perhaps I had built it up too much, but if feels soulless to me. And that feeling hasn't gone away over the years of going there.

Old 08-06-2021, 06:32 PM

224 posts, read 165,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
Each sporting venue is special in their own way, but to me baseball venues are more special because they have unique outfield dimensions and cool features like a pool (Arizona),a sting ray tank (Tampa), an apple that appears after a home run (New York), a giant green wall (Boston), just to name a few.

I haven’t been to every stadium, but enough to appreciate how each team has a different place they call home.

I am from the NY region, so I grew up going to Yankee games. Starting when I was 8 till my late teen years, I went to the old Yankee stadium about 10 times. Regardless of where you are from you should observe it as a historic landmark. Monument park, the short porch in right field, and the bleacher creatures really made this place special. Locals I have spoken with have mixed feelings about the new place. It‘s not so much they don’t like the appearance of the new place, but rather miss the memories that built this franchise that will live on. The stadium was demolished and is now a smaller facility with a baseball field.

I am from NJ, I’ve been to a handful of stadiums on east coast and BY FAR I would say Pittsburgh was best one Ive been to(beating out Yankees, Mets, Phillies team I like, Orioles, and Nationals) the location of Pittsburgh and with the bridges is an amazing place, I would put Orioles right behind them. I personally think yankee stadium sucks old one ok the history… but new one I really don’t care for. My favorite stadium from just what I think I’ll enjoy would be Fenway the green wall to me is so awesome and unique… I also really like Angels and Rockies ballparks.

Old 08-06-2021, 06:43 PM

224 posts, read 165,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

By the mid 2000s I had seen at least one game in every then current ballpark (and in some that were already defunct or had even been torn down at that point) in the majors. I've seen a game in every new park that has opened up since then....except for the new park for the Rangers, and I'll see a game there later this month....

.......and I agree....PNC is my favorite.

PNC park location is special, ranking it out of every stadium I think it’s top 5 for sure. I’ve only been to a handful but yankees and Dodgers wish they had a place like that! I would say best parks Angels, Royals, Pirates, Fenway because it’s so unique (screw Boston though) and Orioles. Throw in Rockies that area is nice around there….

Old 08-08-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I was going to say the same thing about Coors. The Rockies are usually not all that worth watching, but that is a nice place to enjoy a game. I'm not really even a big baseball fan but I still try to get to a few games every year, because it's just such a nice relaxing way to enjoy an evening out.

But I will say Fenway is my favorite - I lived in Boston (as an adult) for almost 25 years before moving to Denver and went to countless games there, esp. because a perk of my job for much of that time was access to free tickets. The park itself has plenty of flaws and a lot of the work they've done over the years is never going to be better than putting lipstick on a pig. But you can't beat the way you automatically become a part of history when you watch a game there.
Yep. You hit the nail on the head.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
Its amazing how people nitpick about Tropicana Field like its not better than their favorite park in a dozen different ways.

Cheapest tickets in the game, easiest parking, and has the least traffic.

Also, no rain-outs or delays, no threat of lightning, it's never too hot or too cold, no bad shadows at the plate, no sun in the players' or fans' eyes, and there's never any wind to help a ball out or keep it in play.

The Rays are also in the best division in all of sports so they host the Yankees and Red Sox 18+ times per year.

It's only flaw is that a ball hits a catwalk, not ”all the time”, but once per month. Most of those are the C and occasionally D rings which are no-brainer homeruns anyway. Some are in foul territory which are dead balls and would be unplayable in 90% of all parks. About 1-2 per year are in the infield which remain in play. Most of those are caught like the routine pop-ups they are.

The Marlins stadium is no different... except for a retractable roof which they barely open, horrible traffic, more expensive seats, and only inter-league NYY/BOS games.

It's only real flaw was relying on residents from Tampa to attend games. That's why the team will be relocated. It's not the ballpark.
I agree with you re ‘The Trop’, and have a similar affection for ‘The Trop’, but I don’t think very many people agree with us.

I think in the minds of lots of others, it is the ballpark, or the ballpark is a big part of it.

Old 08-08-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Attended:
Yankee - Old and new
Citi & Shea
Vet
Dodger
Anaheim
Olympic
Wrigley
Fenway
Safeco & Kingdome
Comerica
Camden
Turner
Petco
Chase
Coliseum
AT&T-Oracle

Favorite - Petco, Anaheim
Honorable mentions - Dodger, Wrigley, Chase
Ugliest/Worst - Kingdome & Olympic, hands down
Overrated - Fenway
The only stadium I haven’t been to since the last refresh is Angels Stadium. I started thinking about that after the game I went to at the Rangers new Globe Life Field in Arlington, and started thinking about getting to an Angels game in Anaheim before this season ends. I noticed that both you and InTheMountains mentioned Angels Stadium. I’m looking forward to a return visit (it was once the stadium most local for me).

Old 08-08-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Ebbets Field, from the images I've seen of it, I love it.
You should try to go to Citi Field (the current home of the New York Mets). It’s sort of a partial homage to Ebbets Field.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I have been to games at seven major league ballparks. Four of them have been torn down, and one no longer hosts baseball.

Demolished:
Arlington Stadium (the original)
Ballpark at Arlington
Old Comiskey Park
Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium

No longer hosting baseball
DC Stadium (later RFK Stadium)

Still active
Dodger Stadium
Angels Stadium

Of these two, Angels Stadium is the easy winner. The last time that I went to Dodger Stadium, the place was definitely showing its age. The seat that I sat in was faded and broken. There is also an ugly element in the fan base that wasn't there 20 years earlier. Because I was wearing a Braves jersey, a guy who I hadn't even spoken to wanted to fight me in the bathroom. This was a few years before the Giants fan was brutally assaulted and permanently disabled in the parking lot.
The Ballpark in Arlington hasn’t been demolished.

I was just in the area (on the other side of the street) 4 1/2 weeks ago to see a Rangers game at the new park, Globr Life Field, and the Ballpark at Arlington (may have a different legal name now) is still there.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Since no one mentioned Wrigley Field under Historic or Favorite. I guess I will. Also, to note it as Fenway is also no one the National Historic since like 2011 and finally taken 7 yrs after the request for Wrigley sought for not just a City Landmark, but a National one. Finally came in Nov of 2020.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wrigley...cubs-baseball/

From new link of just tidbits.
- Wrigley Field was built in 1914, as home to the Chicago Whales that went bankrupt the next year and became the home of the Cubs in 1916 when Wrigley Jr bought the Franchise and moved it from a stadium on the city's west side to its location since.
- The field was also the first ballpark to provide refreshment booths behind stands,
- use an on-site organ as entertainment during games, and serve the first site of the Super Bowl's predecessor, the National Football League Championship.
- Wrigley is the only ballpark that still exists that was a part of the Federal Baseball League,
- and it served as the home field for the Chicago Bears from 1921 to 1970.
- Iconic moments on the field include the sport's only "double no-hitter," which took place in 1917,
- Babe Ruth's 1932 World Series "called shot,"
- and Gabby Hartnett's "Homer in the Gloamin'," which the department recognized as an event that propelled the Cubs to the 1938 National League pennant.

Renovations last few years now preserve it and a more early 20th century look exposed decorative grill-workings again and old working scoreboard and new modern one added. Lights did not come for night games till 1988. Bleachers upper decks added and expanded in the 1920s exist today and for its age .... is in the middle of the pack in size today.

The Stadium also is a tourist attraction for both cities.
TripAdvisor list it at #12 of things to do in Chicago relevant to tourist even if just a look-see and nearby bar visit or interior tour of the field when they take place and concerts when they occur. City limits them to so many only a year.
TripAdvisor though list Fenway as the #1 attraction of things to do for Boston. Surprise me it would be #1 for all the Great city of Boston also offers. That is impressive.
Of course also... both have their claimed curses. Fenway's curse of the Bambino and Wrigely's Billy Goat curse.

People will have their preference to favorite and bias. Still by far.... most in baseball highly respect both ballparks and their contribution to Baseball and their city's and the fact that BOTH now will be preserved for generations to come.
The game that I saw at Wrigley……I didn’t know the game was sold out until I happened to run into a lady in a nearby McDonalds who was going to the game and had an extra ticket that she didn’t need/wanted to sell.

LOL….she was paranoid that I was an undercover cop looking to bust people selling tickets.

I finally convinced her that I wasn’t a cop, she sold me the ticket, and I got to go to and enjoy the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball