Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2021, 09:28 PM

390 posts, read 406,533 times

Advertisements

Each sporting venue is special in their own way, but to me baseball venues are more special because they have unique outfield dimensions and cool features like a pool (Arizona),a sting ray tank (Tampa), an apple that appears after a home run (New York), a giant green wall (Boston), just to name a few.

I haven’t been to every stadium, but enough to appreciate how each team has a different place they call home.

I am from the NY region, so I grew up going to Yankee games. Starting when I was 8 till my late teen years, I went to the old Yankee stadium about 10 times. Regardless of where you are from you should observe it as a historic landmark. Monument park, the short porch in right field, and the bleacher creatures really made this place special. Locals I have spoken with have mixed feelings about the new place. It‘s not so much they don’t like the appearance of the new place, but rather miss the memories that built this franchise that will live on. The stadium was demolished and is now a smaller facility with a baseball field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 07:36 AM

7,616 posts, read 6,126,755 times
I went to the Yankees game in the early 90's and it was fun going to Yankee Stadium. I have not been to the newer more expensive one. But it was on my bucket list at the time to see a Yankees game in Yankee stadium.

I also went to Fenway, which was disappointing because for one, there was a pole blocking our view of second base, two there was a narrow concourse so people were always standing in the aisle trying to get around each other and three, and this was the clencher, I bought a few programs to send as souvenirs , placed them under the seat as I always do, and someone sitting behind me helped himself to one of them.
I will likely forever dislike the Red Sox as a result. (I already hate the Patriots so it is convenient)

I also made it that year to Oriole Park in Camden Yards. That is a well designed BallPark Not a bad seat in the house.

I have not been to the new Ranger stadium that they opened last year, but several years ago, went to an afternoon game between the Rangers and the Padres, the game where the worse play of the week took place right in front of us. The sun was scorching, we were drinking water as fast as they could bring it to us, and I was amazed that they were even playing a day game in that weather. The new stadium with a roof will be welcome.

I live near Tampa. A Tampa Rays experience is not fun. The Stadium , Tropicana field, well, it is beyond bad. The architect who designed it knew nothing about the physics of the game of baseball. Fly Balls frequently hit the cat walks, the seats are slanted outward then upwards, so unlike Oriole Park at Camden Yards, there is really NOT a good seat anywhere. The Upper Decks are too high and too far back, it is impossible from the back rows to even see the ball. The Lower level seats feel so far away from the action that it would be as much fun as watching on TV The best one can hope for is to be by fun fans who are at least entertaining themselves and everyone around them.
Couple that with the Tampa rea "far weather" media, who will act like the Rays are the greatest thing in the world when they are winning, but ignore them otherwise, and it ads up to a situation which explains why most St Pete residents want the team and the stadium gone. And no, there will be no new stadium. The people have spoken. Canada may have them.
See the survey results here

I have been to games in Los Angeles, Kansas City and St Louis. The Cardinals experience at Busch stadium was loads of fun. Keep in mind, when I was younger, unencumbered by a house and kids, I had a travelling job, so baseball was always on the agenda for a day trip. But most of the stadiums I visited are no longer in use. Astrodome, Fulton County Stadium, even Coca-Cola stadium in Atlanta, are no longer in use. Same can be said about San Diego, Qualcomm stadium, was fun more for tailgating than the game inside at times. I have made the rounds through the Minor Leagues as well, downtown Chattanooga was the best

My short Bucket list is
Pirates
Indians
New Ranger Stadium
new Yankee Stadium
new Braves Stadium
Marlins

Old 03-08-2021, 11:52 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,359,998 times
I have been to games at seven major league ballparks. Four of them have been torn down, and one no longer hosts baseball.

Demolished:
Arlington Stadium (the original)
Ballpark at Arlington
Old Comiskey Park
Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium

No longer hosting baseball
DC Stadium (later RFK Stadium)

Still active
Dodger Stadium
Angels Stadium

Of these two, Angels Stadium is the easy winner. The last time that I went to Dodger Stadium, the place was definitely showing its age. The seat that I sat in was faded and broken. There is also an ugly element in the fan base that wasn't there 20 years earlier. Because I was wearing a Braves jersey, a guy who I hadn't even spoken to wanted to fight me in the bathroom. This was a few years before the Giants fan was brutally assaulted and permanently disabled in the parking lot.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:43 PM

1,803 posts, read 944,641 times
Since no one mentioned Wrigley Field under Historic or Favorite. I guess I will. Also, to note it as Fenway is also no one the National Historic since like 2011 and finally taken 7 yrs after the request for Wrigley sought for not just a City Landmark, but a National one. Finally came in Nov of 2020.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wrigley...cubs-baseball/

From new link of just tidbits.
- Wrigley Field was built in 1914, as home to the Chicago Whales that went bankrupt the next year and became the home of the Cubs in 1916 when Wrigley Jr bought the Franchise and moved it from a stadium on the city's west side to its location since.
- The field was also the first ballpark to provide refreshment booths behind stands,
- use an on-site organ as entertainment during games, and serve the first site of the Super Bowl's predecessor, the National Football League Championship.
- Wrigley is the only ballpark that still exists that was a part of the Federal Baseball League,
- and it served as the home field for the Chicago Bears from 1921 to 1970.
- Iconic moments on the field include the sport's only "double no-hitter," which took place in 1917,
- Babe Ruth's 1932 World Series "called shot,"
- and Gabby Hartnett's "Homer in the Gloamin'," which the department recognized as an event that propelled the Cubs to the 1938 National League pennant.

Renovations last few years now preserve it and a more early 20th century look exposed decorative grill-workings again and old working scoreboard and new modern one added. Lights did not come for night games till 1988. Bleachers upper decks added and expanded in the 1920s exist today and for its age .... is in the middle of the pack in size today.

The Stadium also is a tourist attraction for both cities.
TripAdvisor list it at #12 of things to do in Chicago relevant to tourist even if just a look-see and nearby bar visit or interior tour of the field when they take place and concerts when they occur. City limits them to so many only a year.
TripAdvisor though list Fenway as the #1 attraction of things to do for Boston. Surprise me it would be #1 for all the Great city of Boston also offers. That is impressive.
Of course also... both have their claimed curses. Fenway's curse of the Bambino and Wrigely's Billy Goat curse.

People will have their preference to favorite and bias. Still by far.... most in baseball highly respect both ballparks and their contribution to Baseball and their city's and the fact that BOTH now will be preserved for generations to come.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:03 PM

17,703 posts, read 15,453,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post

No longer hosting baseball
DC Stadium (later RFK Stadium)

RFK was great.. Just not for baseball. the only baseball games I saw there were in 1982 and 1983 I think, they did a Cracker Jack Old Timers Game. Luke Appling, at 75 years old, homered off Warren Spahn.. Loved those games.

But, that was a football stadium, and a damn fine one.

I've been to old Fulton County.. the Vet, Wrigley, Fenway, old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore and Camden Yards.. A fair number of minor league parks.. I honestly enjoy minor leagues better than MLB. $15 ticket or so and a dog and a beer doesn't break the bank. Even at Wrigley.. While I enjoyed the game, I still sat there and stewed a bit about how I paid $75 per ticket for a mid-season game, against Philly.. Nothing special about it. And then the train ride from hell back to Great Lakes Naval Base after the game.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
RFK was great.. Just not for baseball. the only baseball games I saw there were in 1982 and 1983 I think, they did a Cracker Jack Old Timers Game. Luke Appling, at 75 years old, homered off Warren Spahn.. Loved those games.

But, that was a football stadium, and a damn fine one.

I've been to old Fulton County.. the Vet, Wrigley, Fenway, old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore and Camden Yards.. A fair number of minor league parks.. I honestly enjoy minor leagues better than MLB. $15 ticket or so and a dog and a beer doesn't break the bank. Even at Wrigley.. While I enjoyed the game, I still sat there and stewed a bit about how I paid $75 per ticket for a mid-season game, against Philly.. Nothing special about it. And then the train ride from hell back to Great Lakes Naval Base after the game.
All should know you should avoid to even all leave a parking lot after a sporting event at one time. Wrigley has a ton of bars etc. just outside to even take a walk for a while or sit a spell till some traffic dies down both cars, L and buses. It is 10s of thousands of people to deal with.

Wrigley's upgrades last few years to almost fully restore to inside and out even exposed more of its glory. Now sure what more they plan on doing. But yeah.... I can imagine getting right on a train after a game ... even leaving a bit early and on a weekend before Covid would have trains on the Red and Brown line busiest in the city basically and before Covid were at or past their 1920s peak in passengers.

I go to just a Concert at a stadium or arena.... we head to the car and sit a while before we pull out. There are deals on tickets too online etc. even if not the best seats even for Wrigley. I would make it a day also. Just too much to just do stadium and train and not take in more. Just having a parking lot surrounding a Ballpark is another experience in itself. Wrigley is also about that. I can find a small movie theater for cheap matinee seats vs a AMC one. If I want the latest new movie.... I will have to pay. Look what they pay the players and wonder why tickets are not cheap. One can enjoy a small town neighborhood game for the kids also for free. Won't be Wrigley or Fenway.

Stewing over cost really has one not there for what it is to be for. Just too much else to experience before and after the game to make it a event. I have not heard many who claimed a bad experience with Wrigley and see the stadium was meh and place. A lot is about history and Legacy of it all also and the millions of others for generations too who did what you just did. The same L train tracks and stadium and even many bars that date back around it and new of course. Some say it got too commercial now also. Just a walk around the block and neighborhood is a different level then many others that if you just stew about cost of the game.... is not taking advantage of all at ones disposal.

There is only one Wrigley and Fenway. I do not go on a vacation and stew over cost of something that is a choice once made.... you faghetaboutit. There are plenty of free places one can go or walk around if cost will be a problem that tarnishes it. Just going to a Concert today I think at first.... look what I am paying and maybe a motel also.... I then make it more also and overall it comes together. I can stew over the cost of a motel far more in a big city LOL. I have therefore done hostels for the cheaper to indulge on other things.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:24 PM

17,703 posts, read 15,453,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
All should know you should avoid to even all leave a parking lot after a sporting event at one time. Wrigley has a ton of bars etc. just outside to even take a walk for a while or sit a spell till some traffic dies down both cars, L and buses. It is 10s of thousands of people to deal with.

Wrigley's upgrades last few years to almost fully restore to inside and out even exposed more of its glory. Now sure what more they plan on doing. But yeah.... I can imagine getting right on a train after a game ... even leaving a bit early and on a weekend before Covid would have trains on the Red and Brown line busiest in the city basically and before Covid were at or past their 1920s peak in passengers.

No, that wasn't the problem. The problem was that we had to wait in pitch black at a train station for the transit train up to Great Lakes. Perhaps the scariest place I've ever been.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:55 PM

8,613 posts, read 14,965,361 times
I've only been to two MLB parks - Coors Field and the old Ballpark at Arlington. The latter was a terrible baseball venue.

Who's the idiot who thought it would be a good idea to put an outdoor baseball stadium in DFW where the baseball season climate sucks? Even when the weather's good there's nothing to look at because the scenery is awful. At least now they've got a retractable roof so you don't have to sweat your ass off watching a baseball game at 9pm local time. Unfortunately you still have to drive to BFE to get there.

Coors is an awesome place to go watch a baseball game - even when the Rockies are a total dumpster fire (which is pretty much the norm). The stadium is downtown. There's nightlife all around it, and the views of the northern Front Range - especially as the sun sets - are spectacular.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:59 PM

390 posts, read 406,533 times
About Wrigley Field, you know those apartments across the street where you could watch the game if you lived there. Well they built seats on top of those residences and are sold for $350 each now. You gotta admire the nature backdrop of Wrigley where people can just look out their window and watch a game. But I wonder how people who live there feel about the fact seats are built above their homes.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
About Wrigley Field, you know those apartments across the street where you could watch the game if you lived there. Well they built seats on top of those residences and are sold for $350 each now. You gotta admire the nature backdrop of Wrigley where people can just look out their window and watch a game. But I wonder how people who live there feel about the fact seats are built above their homes.
Over the big too-do over the owners of Wrigley the Ricketts family. Wanting to put up a new modern Screen electronic scoreboard yet keep the old one also. Had some of them house views compromised and they ended up buying up most of them properties. Not sure how many. Those with the view yet still have the roof-top bleachers and whatever for a price.

2017 link with pic of some of the roof-top homes - Title: Cubs owner Ricketts buys Wrigley rooftop buildings.

From the Link.
- Off the field as team Chairman Tom Ricketts methodically moves to gain further control of the neighborhood streets just beyond the walls of Wrigley Field and win his battle with the rooftop businesses that help define the Wrigley vibe.
- "I always felt these rooftops were an extension of Wrigley Field and they belong with the Ricketts family," said Lasky, who called himself a diehard Cubs fan. "It was a natural fit."
- The Rickettses have held a financial interest in a seventh rooftop operation, Down the Line Rooftop, since 2010. Earlier this year, George Loukas, who helped start the rooftop craze years ago, sold two buildings while James Lourgos and his partners sold another.
- Just three rooftop businesses on Sheffield aren't owned by the Ricketts family now: Murphy's Rooftop, at the corner of Waveland and Sheffield and above Murphy's Bleachers, and Skybox on Sheffield and Lakeview Baseball Club, which have sued the team in federal court.

I would think the lawsuits are settled by now... The lots across from Wrigley on Addison and Clark St are basically owned by the Ricketts family now also. They built a large hotel on the side a McDonald's was for decades and I do not remember what else that looks great and ground floor is full of eateries and bars also on Clark St and other multi-level new sports-bars on Addison.

So much of 3-sides across from Wrigley they own now and developed with new building on 2. Down Clark and within blocks of course the regular bar scene bars and clubs are still hopping.

It is what it is. Summer brings some Concerts to Wrigley with some Big names. Lady Gaga did a couple years ago etc. The city though limits how many Concerts they can host as Police have to be supplied and former Mayor and the Ricketts clan were not big friends when they were threatening to move the franchise to a suburb and had at least one provide free grounds to build a new stadium on.

The Bluff apparently worked and the money went into Wrigley as planned to restore it. Lots of politics involved also where most things the family wanted to do has to be approved by the Alderman of the neighborhood, to the city itself as a City Landmark also and local residents have their say.

Seems by far .... most of what the Ricketts family wanted they found a way to get. Even the 7-yr wait for approval of applying for a National Historic Landmark status besides the city one it has had for years. Tax breaks also come with it.

Just buying a winning team is much much harder..... though seems a motto of - Win or Lose we Booze - stll works and tourist desiring seats and even the roof-top seats abound. Probably the same for Fenway in selling seats that tourist even just desire in a visit.

Of the YouTube videos I checked out.... chose this one since I have seen some of this Chicago YouTubers others this year and last. This one from a few months ago but before the National Landmark status came though. Shows exterior views and some facts. Views of the couple new buildings the Ricketts Family built across and later in the video some of the other bars and aspects of the neighborhood and homes. Though he says he dislikes the new buildings kept looking modern.... he eats in one.

OK video that is under 14 minutes. Gives some decent shots and facts.
Noting that only Wrigley and Fenway are the last 2 of the termed old
Jewel-box stadiums left. Not much of the neighborhood get showed.
No reason to lessen one stadium over the other though some will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY3CX9mSgYA

No use me dwelling on one stadium. Just when I first posted. Wrigley was not yet mentioned. Fenway was.... so I brought in Wrigley and comments that followed and here adding about the roof-top homes and other things. Hopefully, other stadiums get brought in. Still for the last 2 of its kind... Wrigley and Fenway are both Tourist and Baseball attractions of their respective cities and restored for generations to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball