Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 09:04 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 days ago)

52,706 posts, read 48,001,428 times

Advertisements

Boy, what a year. Almost saw two more no-hitters tonight in Minnesota and Houston, but they were both broken up late.

And the Texas Rangers are on a pace for about 105 losses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 11:42 PM

3,698 posts, read 2,419,546 times
Joey Gallo traded to Yankees for 6 prospects.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:05 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
The Nationals just traded Scherzer and Turner to the Dodgers . . . so, will we see a World Series between the Dodgers and Yankees?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:45 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The Nationals just traded Scherzer and Turner to the Dodgers . . . so, will we see a World Series between the Dodgers and Yankees?

I give the Yankees about a 10% chance of making it out of the AL. There's no way that I can see that rotation as its currently constructed making it out of the AL. Sure, they can make a move tomorrow for a Berrios or a Gray, or someone else of the ilk and give them better odds, but right now no.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:34 AM

1,859 posts, read 801,688 times
I hope Shohei hits 62!

Old 07-30-2021, 08:56 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times
Alright, let's hand out grades. I'll start with the division most likely to send the most teams to the playoffs (NL West) and work my way around from there.

Arizona: C. They probably could've sold more players, or traded Merrill Kelley for a decent return, but did what they could.
Colorado: C-.I get why Story is complaining but the fact of the matter is the Rockies didn't think they would get anything better than the comp pick they are going to get when Story takes the QO and leaves. Jon Gray I don't quite see why they held onto him. There's a ton of teams that needed SP, and I don't think I want to give him the QO which will probably be something in the range of $18+ million.
LA Dodgers: A.Keibert Ruiz is blocked by Will Smith anyways, and while Josiah Gray looks like he could be good to get the best pitcher on the market AND an All star SS you have for next year in case Seager departs in the offseason was a no brainer for them. Would've liked to see them add a RP too, but if Danny Duffy gets healthy he'll probably slide into the bullpen. Look like the favorite for the NL pennant and can't see any NL team beating them but I said the same thing in 2019 too and look what happened...
San Diego: B-.Adam Frazier and Daniel Hudson were 2 very good pickups, but they really needed another SP or 2 with the rotation on fumes. Also went 0-3 in the big deals they thought were going to get; got Max Scherzer taken by the Dodgers from under their noses, and went 0-2 on Joey Gallo and Jose Berrios getting beaten out by the AL East, so that drops them down a bit. I don't think Gallo was really needed because they don't need help on the offensive side of the ball, but I would've given them an "A" if they traded for Scherzer.
San Francisco: B.Kris Bryant was a great pickup and didn't give up catcher Joey Bart. Like the Dodgers I would've liked to see them add Kimbrel as well, but they swooped in at the last minute to nab Bryant which saved them.

AL West:

Houston: B+.
Really solidified the bullpen with Kendrall Gravemen and Yimi Garcia. The Myles Straw trade is confusing and drops them into the "B" range. Who plays CF for them now??
Oakland: B.Marte pickup was great, added position depth in Josh Harrison and Yan Gomes for a minimal cost. IF they were able to add Trevor Story they would've had a great deadline.
Texas: C+.Spencer Howard maybe a good pitcher. I have no clue who any of the guys they got back in the Gallo trade are, but hopefully for them a couple of them pan out. I'll grade them average.
Anaheim: D.Waited too long to decide to finally sell. If they put Raisel Ingelsis on the block earlier in the week instead of earlier today, probably could have gotten a decent offer. Another wasted year of Mike Trout down the drain.
Seattle: F.What the hell were they doing?? First they trade Gravemen, having a fantastic year to the team they are chasing, coming off wins in like 4 or 6 or 5 of 7 games, including the previous night when they came back from down 7-0 to win an 11-8 game. And then (Jerry) DiPoto says "This was just a precursor to what we are going to do the rest of the week." What else did you have in mind Jerry?? Cool, you got a few more extra years of control from Diego Castillo instead of Gravemen, and like 5 years of Abraham Toro, but your team hates you for it. Was it worth it?? They kicked the tires on Frazier and KC's Whit Merrifield, got beat out by the Padres for Frazier but I don't think were that close to Merrifield. Yes, I know they weren't supposed to compete this year, but they haven't made the playoffs in 20 years!!! There's kids starting their junior year of college that were in diapers or not even born yet the last time the Mariners made the playoffs. You don't have to completely mortgage the future to go for this year, but there were players you could have controlled beyond this year that you'd have for longer then just this year, so even if it didn't work out this year, their still under contract for next year. Just a complete whiff from DiPoto and the Mariners.

AL Central:

Cleveland: B.
Didn't really do much. They are only a game worse than Toronto, so I guess they could've been buyers, but probably a good idea not to give up the farm for the 1 game Wildcard since the White Sox in first seem too far adrift. The Straw for Phil Maton trade was a great get for the Tribe.
Chi White Sox: A. They just got Eloy Jimenez back from the IL this week, and will probably get Luis Robert back in September. Offensive side of the ball will/just got additions back there, added a nice utility player in Cesar Hernandez. Already have one of the best rotations in the AL so didn't need to add there, but the one problem area was in the bullpen, which they solved from 2 cross town Cub trades with Ryan Tepera and Craig Kimbrel going from the North side to the South side in separate deals. I think they are the team to beat in the AL now.
Detroit: C.Like Arizona did what they could. Good idea not to trade Schoop I think he's a good candidate to resign there. What a difference a couple years makes; 2-3 years ago the Tigers were telling team high ranking prospects for Daniel Norris and now traded him to the Brewers in a 1-1 swap for a starter in High A. They were also discussing Michael Fulmer but don't think they got a deal done in time.
Kansas City: B-.Sounds like they would have been willing to trade Merrifield for the right offer but never came along. The pitcher they got back in the Soler trade from the Braves (Kalich) could be a closer. Surprised they didn't get an offer for Mike Minor.
Minnesota: B+. Austin Martin, the key return in the Berrios trade looks like a very good player. Simeon Woods-Richardson has been traded twice now but is still only 20 years old and could be good. If they had more time, they could have had a chance to deal Buxton for more prospects. I knew Donaldson was never going to go anywhere. Kenta Maeda could have gotten a good return but never got an offer, surprised Michael Pineda was still there.

AL East:

Boston: D. They'll get Chris Sale back sometime before the regular season ends, so I guess that's probably as good of an addition as they could have had (and it wouldn't cost anything), and the Yankees probably swooped in front of them for Anthony Rizzo, but the Kyle Schwarber trade doesn't make too mich sense. He's still going to be out for probably a few more weeks, and has hardly played over at first which is the position they are most lacking production. I don't think they would have traded him here anyways, if anything it would likely be at an overpay but I would've at least asked the Yankees about Luke Voit. He's basically going to be out of a job with the Gallo & Rizzo trades, so he made a lot more sense to get then Schwarber.
Baltimore: Inc. I think they made 1 transaction which was sending Galvis to Philly. They couldn't possibly have traded Trey Mancini and really they didn't have that many other tradable candidates.
Tampa: B.Really surprised they traded for Nelson Cruz. Traded from a position of depth to get something for Willy Adames. I don't think they were every serious contenders for Max Scherzer, Kimbrel, or Bryant.
Toronto: B+.Needed a reliever (actually probably more than 1) and preferably a starter. After Scherzer was off the market they got probably the 2nd best starter available in Berrios, and a good reliever in the Nats Brad Hand. The catcher the Jays gave up in the Hand trade (Riley Adams) just had a cup of coffee at the major league level and wasn't impressive, but has good power, walks a lot but also strikes out a ton. Martin was a loss, but for Berrios a pitcher they have under control for next year was well worth it.
Yankees: B-. Gallo trade was good. Rizzo trade I don't know what they were doing there. Voit lead the league in home runs last year, granted he's been injured, and has only played like 25 games, but why give up on that, and how could they not get something for him. Would've also liked someone better than Andrew heaney in the rotation, I doubt the White Sox or Astros or Rays are scared of facing him in a potential playoff game. They'll be a tough out in the Wildcard game, but don't think they have the roster to win in a postseason series.

NL East:
Atlanta:
A. Applaud them for not giving up and raising the white flag after the Acuna injury. May not make the playoffs anyways, and Adam Duvall, Soler, Joc Pederson, and Eddie Rosario aren't household names but have a completely revamped OF which will be way better than what they've trotted out there in recent weeks since the injury.
Miami: B. Really did well getting a good pitcher for a rental in Marte, a pitcher that was basically untouchable 2 years ago. Luke Jackson is an adequate pickup in the return for Duvall.
New York Mets: B-. I like the Baez trade even though I hate him as a player. He's a SS, but probably better defensively a second so shouldn't be a problem with him and Lindor. Speaking of Lindor he should fill in nicely for Lindor while he recovers from injury. DeGrom had a setback which sucks, and would have prefered Kyle Davies come back as the SP instead of Trevor Williams, but overall not bad. Their issues so far this year have been injuries more than underperformance.
Philadelphia: C+. They have more holes than Swiss cheese, so they needed more than the 1 trade to actually make them whole, but their bullpen is a disaster for the second straight, and needed help in the rotation and got both in the Rangers Ian kennedy and Kyle Gibson. They also really could've used Buxton, but I don't think they had the prospect capital for that, and maybe use another bench bat. They did what they could though, but I'm sure Dave Dombrowski probably wanted to do more.
Washington: A. Would've been a A+ if they would have gotten someone to take on Patrick Corbin's salary. Losing Turner is tough, but Turner was the only player they traded away that was not signed for next year now THAT'S how you do a sell off.

NL Central:
Chicago Cubs: B-.
I don't think they nearly as well in their complete sell off as the Nats did in theirs. They have a pitcher still sitting there in Davies that could have netted them something. They also could've combined Davis with either Bryant or Kimbrel and likely gotten a better return then what they got. Should have gotten more for Kimbrel. If they keep Kimbrel, maybe sending him with Bryant to the Giants gets them Bart or another top Giants prospect.
Cincinnati: C+. Really could have used Story or even the Twins Andrelton Simmons as SS has been a poor spot in the lineup. The bullpen has been bad for them as well but made 3 nice additions in Mychel Givens, Luis Cessa, and Justin Wilson.
Pittsburgh: B. Building for the future. Decent returns for what they had.
Milwaukee: B+. Did most of their shopping earlier in the summer with the Adames trade who has just been raking sine arriving and Rowdy Tellez over from the Blue Jays. Would've liked to see them add another bench bat, but they are so far ahead in the Central that it probably didn't make sense to make a move just to make a move, stick with what you have.
St. Louis: F. The Cards do only have 1 team in front of them....too bad they are 7.5 back in the Wildcard and 9.5 behind the Brewers in the division. So, if they wanted to add in the rotation, why JA Happ and Jon Lester?? They have both been terrible this year, I don't even think Happ made it out of the 4th inning in his last start.....and that was against Detroit. He has a 7.82 ERA in his last 7 starts. Lester's not much better going for a 6.32 ERA in his last 7 starts despite pitching against the Orioles, Marlins twice, and a Mets team at the time that was basically running a AAA team out there with all injuries. I would've given them a better grade if they stayed put and kept what they had in house while waiting for jack Flaherty and Milos Mikolas to come back. This was like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic after half the ship is already underwater.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:43 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,769,593 times
Quote:
If so, it will be a good time to catch up on some Netflix.

Old 08-01-2021, 02:25 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 days ago)

Quote:
Don't be surprised if neither of them go. Can't rule out Tampa, Boston, Houston, San Diego, and even San Francisco (baseball's biggest surprise) to get to the Classic.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:28 AM

1,859 posts, read 801,688 times
Wonder if the Yankees make it in the playoffs

Old 08-09-2021, 03:05 PM

Interesting article here on this link. These guys are in their walk years, and they need to show something before they do. May want to look at this to see if any of you would like to see any of them our your team next season.

https://www.mlb.com/news/pending-fre...nishes-in-2021
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball