Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 06:09 AM

25,812 posts, read 12,859,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
What is this middle school? no one cares
There's nothing wrong with jumping ship to root for the winning team, enjoy.
Evidently, some here care...thus my answer. I never jumped ship, I'm just a fan of more than 1 MLB team.

I still pull for all the teams from places I've lived...except the Dodger's who deserted Brooklyn...nobody forgave that.

I tend to lose enthusiasm for my former teams after I move away, & they lose all the players who were there when I was there. Obviously, the Dodgers, Tigers, & Cardinals have no players still there from my childhood days, so all I have left are their baseball cards....yep...I still have mine.

All I have left now for rootable players are on the Braves (I moved out of ATL 3 years ago), & the Rays (I just moved to Rays'ville 3 years ago).

I come from a big baseball family, so it in my blood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 06:08 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,303,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingaloo View Post
I'm a Phillies fan at heart, the only team I get emotional over. But, I do like other teams and go year to year on who I root for once the Phillies are done (which is most of the time).

I'm pulling for the Giants and/or Cardinals this season.

It's entertainment.
Myself as well. Gabe Kapler was far from the problem when managing the Phillies. I always admired his approach and wish him well in the playoffs.

Old 09-29-2021, 07:49 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,071,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Still a huge Braves fan. Is there a rule that you can't have a AL team and an NL team?

fyi...EVERY place I've lived has had a World Series winner except Columbus Ohio, & Tampa Bay. I consider Venice FLA Rays country.

How about you? How many places have you lived and experienced a World Series win? Do tell.

I was in Brooklyn for the Dodger's win in 1955

St. Louis for 1967 & 1982

Detroit in 1968

Atlanta in 1995

Rays??? 2021?
Sorry, I was legitimately asking. It was actually 2 years ago we exchanged some friendly banter on Cards vs Braves NLDS. Nothing wrong with rooting for anyone. Just couldn’t remember. Good luck to the Rays!

P.S. 1982, 2006, 2011 WS for the Cardinals for me.

Old 10-01-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Sorry, I was legitimately asking. It was actually 2 years ago we exchanged some friendly banter on Cards vs Braves NLDS. Nothing wrong with rooting for anyone. Just couldn’t remember. Good luck to the Rays!

P.S. 1982, 2006, 2011 WS for the Cardinals for me.
I think the most unique MLB team I ever saw was the; Vince Coleman, Willie McGee, Lonnie Smith, Ozzie Smith, Tom Herr, Andy Van Slyke speed team.

The way they'd manufacture runs out of think air, using team speed was something to behold. They'd purposely try to hit the top edge of the baseball while batting to get a high hopper to beat out at 1st. I've never seen that again since. They routinely scored runs in innings w/o any hits. If any of them reached 1st base, next thing you knew, they were on 3rd by stealing 2 bags. Then, they'd score on a passed ball.

Their defense was so fast, & had so much range, it was very hard to find any holes.

Watching opposing pitchers lose their composure against that speed style offense was so much fun.

Old 10-01-2021, 11:40 AM

6,931 posts, read 3,766,904 times
Quote:
I think the most unique MLB team I ever saw was the; Vince Coleman, Willie McGee, Lonnie Smith, Ozzie Smith, Tom Herr, Andy Van Slyke speed team.

The way they'd manufacture runs out of think air, using team speed was something to behold. They'd purposely try to hit the top edge of the baseball while batting to get a high hopper to beat out at 1st. I've never seen that again since. They routinely scored runs in innings w/o any hits. If any of them reached 1st base, next thing you knew, they were on 3rd by stealing 2 bags. Then, they'd score on a passed ball.

Their defense was so fast, & had so much range, it was very hard to find any holes.

Watching opposing pitchers lose their composure against that speed style offense was so much fun.
Swinging down for topspin and high BAs don't generate big contracts anymore. It's all about launch angles and backspin now. Getting the ball in the air and deep. The art of manufacturing runs is long gone. Everyone knows this now.
I get it though, I don't see the harm in laying a bunt or a nibbler down the third base line away from the shift in late innings of a close game on the line for just one at bat. THey still go for the launch. Every team, not just the big payrolls do it.

Old 10-01-2021, 11:42 AM

1,859 posts, read 801,688 times
Go yankees!

Old 10-02-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Swinging down for topspin and high BAs don't generate big contracts anymore. It's all about launch angles and backspin now. Getting the ball in the air and deep. The art of manufacturing runs is long gone. Everyone knows this now.
I get it though, I don't see the harm in laying a bunt or a nibbler down the third base line away from the shift in late innings of a close game on the line for just one at bat. THey still go for the launch. Every team, not just the big payrolls do it.
The Rays are still forced to play small ball w/ the line-up they trot out there. I dont see anyone else doing it though. The Rays bunt, hit behind the runners, squeeze, hit and run, & are constantly looking for a free pass. Its fun for me to watch, but get it that the younger fans want upper deck bombs.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
The Rays are still forced to play small ball w/ the line-up they trot out there. I dont see anyone else doing it though. The Rays bunt, hit behind the runners, squeeze, hit and run, & are constantly looking for a free pass. Its fun for me to watch, but get it that the younger fans want upper deck bombs.
With the line-up they trot out there?? Huh, have you even watched? are you sure that's not one of your other favorite teams?jk
Do you have any sources, stats or data to back that?
The Rays launch and pound the ball and strikeout with the best of them. Half the lineup is having career years with homers. They're third in league in striking out.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
With the line-up they trot out there?? Huh, have you even watched? are you sure that's not one of your other favorite teams?jk
Do you have any sources, stats or data to back that?
The Rays launch and pound the ball and strikeout with the best of them. Half the lineup is having career years with homers. They're third in league in striking out.
The Rays are tied for 6th for team HR's, but only Brandon Lowe is in the top 16 of the HR hitters. They have depth. Most of their team is NOT swinging for the fence like my other team the Braves.

The Rays payroll is 1/4th the Yanks, 1/3'rd the Dodgers, and much less than any other team that made the playoffs.

They are the best org in baseball by far. EVERY minor league team made the playoffs.

The Boston Red Sox & NY Yankees are overpaid underperformers compared to the Rays...for 2 years in a row.

Does the state you hail from (Connecticut) even have a pro sports team?

Every other team, including yours, (Boston) is looking up to my Rays.

Old 10-04-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
The Rays are tied for 6th for team HR's, but only Brandon Lowe is in the top 16 of the HR hitters. They have depth. Most of their team is NOT swinging for the fence like my other team the Braves.

The Rays payroll is 1/4th the Yanks, 1/3'rd the Dodgers, and much less than any other team that made the playoffs.

They are the best org in baseball by far. EVERY minor league team made the playoffs.

The Boston Red Sox & NY Yankees are overpaid underperformers compared to the Rays...for 2 years in a row.

Does the state you hail from (Connecticut) even have a pro sports team?

Every other team, including yours, (Boston) is looking up to my Rays.
I'm not there for adolescent style bantering. I live 35 mins from Yankee Stadium (without traffic). The state doesn't matter.
Not Boston, I'm a lifelong Yankee fan, since the age of 5, almost half a decade. Through the thick and thin, win or lose, the lean years, the dynasty years. The early 70s they were the joke of the league. The 80s never saw the playoffs after 81. The early 90's were not good. I saw many jump ship, I never waiverd. Saw 7 WS titles and saw them lose 4. I was there when Thurman caught the final pop up, and 2 decades later when Brosius hit the game tying off AZ in game 5, the night after Tino did the same off the Korean pithcer. I don't control the economics, that's out of my hands. I just love the game.
The Rays are every bit about homers, launch angles, and exit velocity. Their biggest advantage over the division is pitching, there's no question they have excelled there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball