Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 08:49 PM

389 posts, read 399,540 times

Advertisements

Any team that is successful over a course of time will have some people who are opposed to them winning. This is the case about the Yankees, who represent what some people call “The greatest city in the world.”

Do you think the Yankees are a polarizing team? The Lakers, Patriots, have been for their respective sports. People seem to have strong emotions towards them. This is obviously due to their success. I mean, how many people have you ever heard that say they extremely dislike a team that looses?

What is with other teams now claiming to be a rival with NYY. Yankees and Boston is a rivalry, and I think Red Sox fans have the right to feel any way they want about them. But now the Rays have created this idea that the Yankees are their rival. If you are gonna say that then why not say every American League team is a rival now?

My opinion is that they are a franchise built on integrity, tradition, and pride. I feel for the fans in New York who have been going home disappointed the last years. Their hat is the most worldwide known imprint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 11:50 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,757,073 times
The hat is the marketing scheme that funds their exploits.

The Yankees were pre-Lakers and pre-Patriots, by a long shot.

Any team that runs into the Yankees with any regularity, especially in the playoffs, consider them a rival. Boston has always been the natural rival. Babe Ruth left the Red Sox for the Yankees. That right there is enough...

As a Royals fan, the Yankees were considered rivals in the late 70's-1980 when the two teams faced each other in the playoffs 4 out of 5 years. Finally we won, but the Yankees were not well liked at all.

Last edited by sub; 04-20-2021 at 12:02 PM..

Old 04-20-2021, 06:20 PM

6,901 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
As a Royals fan, the Yankees were considered rivals in the late 70's-1980 when the two teams faced each other in the playoffs 4 out of 5 years. Finally we won, but the Yankees were not well liked at all.
Those were epic series. I still remember the Nettles-Brett brawl at 3rd base like it was yesterday. Brett taking Goose deep into the upper deck in 80 was a crushing blow. Great childhood memories.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:22 PM

30,156 posts, read 11,789,790 times
As a Dodger fan the Yankees would be the ultimate world series opponent. But they can't seem to get their act together. This year if the Dodgers make it to the world series I would rather play Boston and get revenge. The Yankees are not what they used to be.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:34 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Billy Martin is one of the best managers ever, should be in HOF and easily one of my favorite baseball personalities of all-time. Other than Number One, I hate the Yankees and hate the media cramming them down our throats. Love to see all of that money flushed down the drain.

Old 04-21-2021, 01:27 AM

834 posts, read 528,751 times
The Yankees have spent a couple billion dollars more than the Rays in the last 20 years but have just one more World Series ring.

They've also lost six or seven straight series against the low budget Rays.

Despite how many more times they drill Rays players, I know longer consider them to be rivals, much less an actual threat. They simply don't have the heart to win.

Old 04-21-2021, 05:45 AM

30,156 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Billy Martin is one of the best managers ever, should be in HOF and easily one of my favorite baseball personalities of all-time. Other than Number One, I hate the Yankees and hate the media cramming them down our throats. Love to see all of that money flushed down the drain.

His teams had more talent than everyone else. On top of that in my opinion baseball managers have less to do with the success of teams compared to the NFL and NBA. Especially today when everything is guided by analytics. Now its just carrying out what a computer says is the right move.

Old 04-21-2021, 06:25 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
LOL...do you really need to ask?

I hate MLB in general for their lack of ability to come up with some sort of equitable salary cap.

Old 04-21-2021, 07:55 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,986,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
His teams had more talent than everyone else.
Are you sure about that? Might want to check the rosters of the teams he turned around immediately.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We love to hate the Yankees, and have for many years as A's fans when we lived in the Bay Area, and now as Mariner fans. Most of it came from the money freely spent that no one else could compete with, buying the talent to win, especially over the years 1994-2012. That, and their smug attitude from George Steinbrenner on down. It's very satisfying to see them struggling with the worst record in the American league this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball