Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2021, 09:07 PM

389 posts, read 399,540 times

Advertisements

Anytime something significant occurs in sports, the reaction is the biggest for a least a month or so. In regards to the sign stealing scandal, I want to ask what your opinion on this is.

Now it seems people are done talking about it. When it first came out, all the media was going crazy over this. People were pointing fingers left and right, and there was a lot of people upset.

It’s understandable for fans to be upset, especially if your team faced them in the playoffs. You feel cheated and not fairly dealt with. I get that.

When a criminal commits a crime, it is often looked down upon for a long time. In fact, people get prison sentences based upon the crime they commit. I want to ask you about Carlos Beltran, AJ Hinch, and Alex Cora.

They were all released from their teams when the news came out. How do you feel about them now and do you think they deserve to be involved in the game now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 01:45 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
To me anyways it is what it is. The team I follow, the Nationals, actually beat them in spite of the sign stealing so it’s poetic justice more then anything else. Fact is, it’s not the first time and won’t be the last time people steal signs it’s been going on for almost as long as the game has been around from runners on second peeking in to the catchers signs and relaying them to the person the New York Giants used to have in CF with binoculars at the Polo Grounds and relay them back into the dugout. I think for a lot of people, and I’ll group myself in with those people, it’s the way they went about doing it. Also, not being forthcoming about it after it came out, blaming others and being oblivious probably didn’t help in the forgiveness Avenue. Also, the Astros as the organization in itself had some shady goings on those years as you also had the assistant GM that got terminated for saying those things about domestic violence victims a couple months after trading for a player that was suspended for a domestic violence incident (Roberto Osuna) also likely didn’t help matters either.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:33 PM

17,576 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
They were all released from their teams when the news came out. How do you feel about them now and do you think they deserve to be involved in the game now?

they need to be on what would be considered super secret double probation.

Forgive.. Don't forget. Because if they're involved in something else similar down the road. They need to be dealt with even more severely.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:13 PM

389 posts, read 399,540 times
Yankee fans have not forgotten what happened.

Old 05-13-2021, 09:54 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Sign stealing has always been a part of baseball. Boston and Houston took it to extreme levels but, to be perfectly honest, I believe they were simply caught. Other teams have schemes that have not been uncovers. Apples and oranges comparing the reactions to sign stealing and PED's and I could care less about the latter. The outrage over PED's is more annoying because everyone knew what was going on but ignored it because it was good for business when baseball needed it most.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-20-2021 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-13-2021, 04:57 PM

17,576 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Sign stealing has always been a part of baseball. Boston and Houston took it to extreme levels but, to be perfectly honest, I believe they were simply caught. Other teams have schemes that have not been uncovers. Apples and oranges comparing the reactions to sign stealing and PED's and I could care less about the latter. The outrage over PED's is more annoying because everyone knew what was going on but ignored it because it was good for business when baseball needed it most.

I don't like certain players associated with PEDs.. A.Rod who was caught multiple times. guys like Bonds who continue to deny..

I actually cut some slack to the people who were hit once, and either fessed up or even those that blamed it on a supplement, so long as they didn't get popped again. Even those that have come clean and admitted to doing it when it was not against the rules.

Now, that group is FAR smaller than the other groups, but..

Old 05-17-2021, 09:49 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
That's because many such as myself now realize the lost opportunity. In hindsight, 2017 turned out to be their best shot at a WS. The current group has no shot at one.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:03 AM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:

Neither do Dodger fans. Probably cost us at least one championship. At the very least Houston's championship should have been vacated. The NCAA takes away championships and usually its not so directly related like this was.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:09 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
The NCAA takes away championships for violating formal defined rules. How dare somebody steal a ring from the media darlings. Quick, somebody get out the Big Book of Unwritten Rules.

Poor Yankees and Dodgers? How about the Bowie Kuhn 1981 Rule, announced in June, that Dodgers and Yanks make the playoffs, even if they coast along at .500 the rest of the way.

PEDs? Somebody convince me that Tommy John surgery is not Performance Enhancing. Or eyeglasses?

Last edited by arr430; 05-24-2021 at 04:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball