Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 11:01 AM

15,217 posts, read 30,667,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
I think Wrigley's notoriety with Chicago and tourism.... is secure for many years to come
It'll be there until the generations that followed on cable and WGN die out. It's no longer a renewing resource of fanbase. 20 years from now, it'll be a fraction of what it is today, given the current trajectory. There is no reason for kids watching baseball now to care about the Cubs or Wrigley any more than any other park, unless their parents are already Cub fans and are going to buy network access specifically to watch the Cubs.

When I was a kid in Texas, I was exposed to the Cubs because they were on the same network as Woody Woodpecker and Yogi Bear. I didn't necessarily grow up a "fan" of the Cubs and, now living in Chicago, see the Cubs phenomenon precisely for what it is. But I knew people who took to the Cubs (or the Braves, for the same reason via TBS) as an alternative to the Astros, and would go to their games wearing Cubs or Braves gear whenever those teams played in Houston. Nobody did that for the teams that didn't have their games regularly broadcast on cable in Texas.

WGN and the Tribune ownership created the reason why there are people who don't live in Chicago with that kind of connection to the club and the ballpark, who visit here here, go to a game, eat out, and buy stuff. It's a sort of boon for the city that goes beyond the ballclub and the yard where they play.

Had Jerry Reinsdorf run the club, Wrigley would be gone with a bunch of condos in its place, and the Cubs would've moved to Rosemont or Schaumburg and built the kind of ballpark there that sits on the South Side now. And nobody would care about the Cubs outside of the tri-state Chicagoland region. They would be like the White Sox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 10:20 AM

4,885 posts, read 5,041,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Not anymore, and the Cubs in particular will suffer in the long run because of this.

The Cubs are on the Marquee network now, and the White Sox on NBC Sports Chicago.

The days of watching both from across the country with a basic cable package carrying WGN is over. That used to be the best thing going for the Cubs. That's why people travel here from all over to see Wrigley Field. In 20 years, nobody outside of Chicago will care.

This even hurts in the city, because they had been on a free over-the-air station which WGN is locally. Now if you don't have cable, or a streaming service, or can't afford to get into the park, you're not watching.
I must admit, it has been quite a while, since I remember catching some of a Cubs game on WGN, didn't know they had moved off that network.

Old 06-20-2021, 12:45 PM

724 posts, read 409,425 times
Streaming will be the only option. I think ESPN (in addition to MLB- which seems like may be an issue based on your location and blackouts) also has some streaming. Cubs are popular, so they likely will have lots of games that can be streamed. Sox games may be a little harder to come by.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:24 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,666,136 times
http://livetv.sx/enx/

Old 06-25-2021, 12:04 PM

258 posts, read 210,314 times
Yeah. It's kind of impossible now without paying or illegal streaming(Which is what I do)

WGN no longer shows the cubs.

There's like a handful of games shown on the local channels every season, but that's about it.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:12 PM

4,885 posts, read 5,041,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
Yeah. It's kind of impossible now without paying or illegal streaming(Which is what I do)

WGN no longer shows the cubs.

There's like a handful of games shown on the local channels every season, but that's about it.
Well, like I said, it had been a while since I caught part of a Cubs game before I headed off to work. When they were at home and playing mostly day games. They gained a lot of viewers by being on WGN, which I get here in Tennessee with my basic cable. TBS was the same for the Braves, but they switched to Fox Sports and this season switched again to Bally.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:36 AM

751 posts, read 590,979 times
So I cannot even watch the Sox on the computer and connect it to my TV? I hate watching sports on my laptop, or even movies. You are missing too much. Then again you can go make a sandwich, leave the room for a while and not miss anything, it is so slow. If I have to see a foul ball after foul...

If we have to pay for games, it should be commercial-free.

Old 07-20-2021, 11:37 AM

484 posts, read 473,182 times
Where exactly in Illinois are you Carnelian? If you're in the St. Louis DMA, i.e. you get those local channels, then you can buy MLB.TV and watch anybody but the Cardinals that way.
If you're anywhere else in the state, then you'd either have to have NBC Sports Chicago on your provider or seek out streams to be able to watch the Sox.

Old 07-20-2021, 12:58 PM

751 posts, read 590,979 times
MLB tv is blocked out in my area near Chicago.
We can get "archive" games only, after they are over.

NBC Sports is a cable channel. Cable packages are about $65. month. The thing is that I dont want nor will watch cable tv shows.

Old 07-21-2021, 07:07 AM

484 posts, read 473,182 times
OK, that makes sense. I'd go without cable if I could as well, but I don't feel like all the runarounds to watch a bunch of channels I could get in one package. I don't begrudge any cord-cutters though.
I got the impression you were much farther downstate. In that respect, it's easier to be out of market because you don't have to buy everything else to see your team. That's me as a Cubs fan in Ohio. I had Extra Innings at my former residence and could watch Marquee except when they played the Reds, Indians or Pirates but in this condo community where I live now, it's not practical to have satellite so back MLB TV I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball