Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 11:13 AM

749 posts, read 580,691 times

Advertisements

For the first time ever (not counting 2020) I am not watching baseball. I have no cable and do not want all the channels. Don't have time or desire for TV anymore. Why pay $70. a month? (Infinity, AT&T) and get wires through my place. Done that.

Other option is streaming and I hate watching movies or sports on my laptop. (Too small, slow, boring)
or hook the computer to TV and watch it there.

suggestions? (Besides going to a bar!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 11:59 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
MLB.TV is a reasonably-priced streaming option for out-of-market games, but if you live in Illinois you'll get less than half of either Chicago teams' games because by their measurement the "market" has a radius of several hundred miles.

I've been told that there's a service where you can get the games via a server located in another part of the country that fools the streaming services into believing that you live in a different market, but I haven't looked into it.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:01 PM

389 posts, read 399,894 times
WGN, the news network for the Chicago area, often covers them. You might want to check with your current cable provider. Some cable channels provide WGN.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:13 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Watch any game from any year from any teams. They are the same BS over and over . Baseball has to be the most boring sport next to soccer. Every game , every play is the same. "It's been x number of years since this or that happened, that has not happened since (pick a year)" Every interview is "ya know", ya know, etc ". BORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2021, 11:25 AM

749 posts, read 580,691 times
Your attitude could be said of all sports everywhere. Especially basketball, tennis, golf, etc.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:23 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
WGN, the news network for the Chicago area, often covers them. You might want to check with your current cable provider. Some cable channels provide WGN.
Not anymore, and the Cubs in particular will suffer in the long run because of this.

The Cubs are on the Marquee network now, and the White Sox on NBC Sports Chicago.

The days of watching both from across the country with a basic cable package carrying WGN is over. That used to be the best thing going for the Cubs. That's why people travel here from all over to see Wrigley Field. In 20 years, nobody outside of Chicago will care.

This even hurts in the city, because they had been on a free over-the-air station which WGN is locally. Now if you don't have cable, or a streaming service, or can't afford to get into the park, you're not watching.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:55 PM

389 posts, read 399,894 times
Didn’t know that.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:08 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
As duster states,

MLB TV is a good option.

Can watch all of the baseball you want for a one-time fee.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:15 AM

484 posts, read 467,992 times
If the OP is in Illinois outside of the immediate St. Louis area, i.e. anywhere he or she can see St. Louis TV stations, MLB TV won't work. Cubs and Sox both will be blacked out, plus any games they play against the Cardinals. That's just the way it works if you live in a team's home TV territory.
There are sites to, well, get around that if one looks hard enough.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:28 AM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Not anymore, and the Cubs in particular will suffer in the long run because of this.

The Cubs are on the Marquee network now, and the White Sox on NBC Sports Chicago.

The days of watching both from across the country with a basic cable package carrying WGN is over. That used to be the best thing going for the Cubs. That's why people travel here from all over to see Wrigley Field. In 20 years, nobody outside of Chicago will care.

This even hurts in the city, because they had been on a free over-the-air station which WGN is locally. Now if you don't have cable, or a streaming service, or can't afford to get into the park, you're not watching.
Only those who are true baseball fans will watch games and most they will miss depending on a work-schedule. It also depends on region IF a regional team is playing the Cubs if you have a chance to see it then or now.... or want to. Not every cable link-up has WGN as mine did not and then in a cable package I did not get.

Any baseball fan know of Wrigley and Fenway as the Grandaddy's that survived and National Landmarks today. If one has any interest in Baseball and visiting either of these cities with some time. They are going to continue to be likely to visit even just to see as being there for a home-game is not that easy.

These franchises are the legacy ones that have history as still with their legacy ballparks. For both cities they are as a sort of tourist attraction and their neighborhoods that also draw a interest by not being as larger newer parks surrounded by a huge parking lot. Much depends on ones sports interest. For some it might be Basketball or Hockey.

The Cubs having ... up to 2016 no major National win. Has nothing to do with desiring to watch them play ball at Wrigley. I rarely catch a game.... happened to be out for a afternoon at my local Bar/Club Volunteer Firehouse I took a walk to and they happened to have the Pirates vs Cubs game on cause the area is like split 60/40 between Pitts and Phil teams by me in more central PA. So I got to watch some of that game there. Even had my Cubs baseball cap on. Still before it ended.... the Philly's game got put on instead cause it started....... and few fans there were more Philly fans.... Most watch games their local teams are playing the opposing city. Not cause any baseball game is their aim to get in to watch nearly like football.

I think Wrigley's notoriety with Chicago and tourism.... is secure for many years to come. Fenway also. Heck, young people still all see Ferris Bueuller's Day Off 80s movies yet today and the feature scene at Wrigley is Iconic even in that movie. The 2016 win certainly helped and right now.... the Cubs streak is pretty good.

Once a location becomes iconic for a city.... it is likely it will stay there unless neglected and all hype disappears. Unlikely for Wrigley in any foreseeable future. Though most stats still place Fenway a tad higher and on the East Coast and that location helps being on the East Coast. TripAdvisor tourist websight places both ballparks as tourist attractions for their city's. Just Fenway I believe is higher for Boston. Both ballparks now on the National Register of Historic Places... as Wrigley just got in it finally last year..... Fenway did in like 2012.

Just opinion as I was never a big baseball fan in itself. Still got to Wrigley over Soldier Field cause.... baseball is a warm weather sport and Chicago's peak for tourism is when .... If you say the term Wrigleyville.... 8 out of 10 people might know what you mean..... though more male then female?

Last edited by NoHyping; 06-12-2021 at 10:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball