Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will it be enforced?
It's up to the Umpires 0 0%
Before All-star Break 1 33.33%
After All-star Break 2 66.67%
Never 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 09:52 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,304,420 times

Advertisements

The pitchers are complaining the baseballs introduced this season are slippery and they are not getting a good grip. The seams are different the balls currently being used in the minors. That is the reason why Glasgow is bringing up the point of waiting until seasons end to enforce rules or go back to old specs on the baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 11:14 AM

3,698 posts, read 2,420,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
The pitchers are complaining the baseballs introduced this season are slippery and they are not getting a good grip. The seams are different the balls currently being used in the minors. That is the reason why Glasgow is bringing up the point of waiting until seasons end to enforce rules or go back to old specs on the baseball.
Yes, and the Spalding deal with MLB.....

Old 06-20-2021, 02:43 AM

Trevor Bauer provides an in depth look at his view as to what has been going on with the use of sticky substances. I have to say I agree with were he is coming from on this.

The video is 30 mins long, but you can get the gist of his point by watching the first 10 mins or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5uwKSqiJHc

Old 06-22-2021, 11:15 AM

7,827 posts, read 4,573,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I thought this was amusing:
https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sp...ce/7768185002/

MLB is considering using a "mudder" machine to apply substances to the ball in a consistent manner. The story mentions the possibility of a new ball for use in the 2022 season, perhaps similar to the balls used in Japan which have more 'tack' out of the box.

In any event it seems perfectly in character with what major league baseball has become to fret and overthink a solution looking for an problem that is less a problem than an annoyance while the Commissioner's Trophy still sits in the offices of the Houston Astros. Priorities, right?

Old 06-22-2021, 06:46 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times
Rob Manfred is easily the worst commissioner in sports history. I thought Gary Bettman (NHL) and Don Garber (MLS) were awful, but compared to Manfred, they seem like Bowie Kuhn and Faye Vincent! So, I want to make sure I get this correct: Manfred in his infinite wisdom decides the games need to be shorter, so he's going to make 7 inning games (which by the way as long as he is still in charge by 2030, within the next 10 years ALL games will be 7 innings. You heard it from me first) AND utilize ghost runners to make the games end faster, but then he also has no problem checking pitchers for sticky stuff every other inning which by the way SLOWS. THE. DAMN. GAME. DOWN!!! which was he net effect for putting in those dumb rules in the first place!

The rumor always going around NBA circles and NHL circles was that when Bettman was hired to become NHL commissioner, he was working under than NBA commissioner David Stern as one of Stern's leuitenents and Stern sent Bettman over to the NHL to sabatoge the NHL. With how bad Manfred has ruined the sport, you cannot convince me otherwise Manfred is a double agent sent to ruin baseball from one of the other sports. Not even Bettman was this bad.....and he came from a rival organization!!! Get this bum out of New York before he degrades the game even further then he already has!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2021, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Rob Manfred is easily the worst commissioner in sports history. I thought Gary Bettman (NHL) and Don Garber (MLS) were awful, but compared to Manfred, they seem like Bowie Kuhn and Faye Vincent! So, I want to make sure I get this correct: Manfred in his infinite wisdom decides the games need to be shorter, so he's going to make 7 inning games (which by the way as long as he is still in charge by 2030, within the next 10 years ALL games will be 7 innings. You heard it from me first) AND utilize ghost runners to make the games end faster, but then he also has no problem checking pitchers for sticky stuff every other inning which by the way SLOWS. THE. DAMN. GAME. DOWN!!! which was he net effect for putting in those dumb rules in the first place!
How could ghost runner be used?

Old 06-24-2021, 01:56 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times
Ghost runners are the automatic runners that start extra innings on second base.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Ghost runners are the automatic runners that start extra innings on second base.
Jaysus.....sacrilege.

Old 07-05-2021, 10:52 AM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Today's WaPo reports that enforcement of the ban is having an effect on the game.

Excerpt: "After MLB got serious about foreign substances, spin rates fell, pitchers changed and hitting improved, a Washington Post analysis shows. ... The Post analyzed the spin rate, controlling for velocity, for nearly 2 million pitches, focusing primarily on fastballs, of more than 1,400 players from about 9,000 games from 2017 to 2021 — including almost 70,000 pitches since June 3. After climbing year over year, spin rates fell in the three weeks after June 3 to levels lower than in 2017, when the data first started being tracked reliably, according to a Post analysis of data published by Baseball Prospectus."

The story also has graph's and animated features to further explain the changes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:47 PM

Gerrit Cole has sure been struggling with the Yankees over the past month.

MLB’s crackdown on sticky stuff has decimated Yankees star’s effectiveness
https://www.axios.com/gerrit-cole-st...7bf4fb923.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball