Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 08:26 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
Had Ohtani grown up in the USA where both sports are popular (unlike Japan where American football is not popular but baseball is)... would he have been the first to play both pro baseball and in the NFL as a QB?

He looks to me like a perfect build for a QB. 6'4". Can throw with accuracy as we've seen in pitching, and with distance as he's played outfield too.

He's fast.

He's smart.

To me he's like an asian Tom Brady, but more athletic than Tom.

But if he were in both MLB and NFL then he would likely not be able to be a 2-way player in MLB because there just aren't enough hours in the day to get super good at all the skills.
Impossible today. For starters, the amount of money paid to starting NFL QBs is just too much to play around with another sport on the side. Also, the amount of time needed to dedicate to practice, film study and just all around preparation to be an NFL starting quarterback would be too much to then turn around and spend any time playing another sport. Not to mention the parts of the two seasons that overlap, what would you do then? I know Deion Sanders did the two sports in one day thing but no way any NFL team would allow their starting QB to be off playing baseball the same day as a football game.

But to your point, I also believe that Ohtani has the athleticism and size required to play QB, and had he grown up here playing the sport, he just might have gone in that direction instead of baseball. Although there is quite a long list of guys who were great in one sport but chose to play the other professionally. Joe Mauer I believe was an all state QB in high school, committed to Florida State back when it was a powerhouse under Bobby Bowden, but ultimately chose to go pro in baseball. Everyone knows about Bo and Deion, but people forget about Brian Jordan who also played in the NFL for two or three years before switching to baseball and having a long productive career in MLB. And then there are tons of failed baseball players who ended up playing in the NFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2023, 10:45 PM

509 posts, read 780,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Impossible today. For starters, the amount of money paid to starting NFL QBs is just too much to play around with another sport on the side. Also, the amount of time needed to dedicate to practice, film study and just all around preparation to be an NFL starting quarterback would be too much to then turn around and spend any time playing another sport. Not to mention the parts of the two seasons that overlap, what would you do then? I know Deion Sanders did the two sports in one day thing but no way any NFL team would allow their starting QB to be off playing baseball the same day as a football game.

But to your point, I also believe that Ohtani has the athleticism and size required to play QB, and had he grown up here playing the sport, he just might have gone in that direction instead of baseball. Although there is quite a long list of guys who were great in one sport but chose to play the other professionally. Joe Mauer I believe was an all state QB in high school, committed to Florida State back when it was a powerhouse under Bobby Bowden, but ultimately chose to go pro in baseball. Everyone knows about Bo and Deion, but people forget about Brian Jordan who also played in the NFL for two or three years before switching to baseball and having a long productive career in MLB. And then there are tons of failed baseball players who ended up playing in the NFL.
Thanks for the reply. So then, since all of the major sports overlap somewhat, then does that mean there will never be a 2 sport pro again? mlb, nfl, nba, mls, nhl.

It seems it would have to be a situation where pick one of the above sports, and the 2nd sport would have to be something like tennis or golf. Or some other less common sport. For example I read that Mookie Betts also does professional bowling.

For tennis/golf, I'm not sure how it works but it seems the individual can decide which tournaments to enter. So you could just slot it in where it fits. For example there are a lot of tennis tournaments in the summer, so if you play in the NFL you could train as soon as your NFL season is over and hope to enter a tournament (Wimbledon for ex which is Jun/Jul).

So NFL+tennis could work?

But MLB+tennis would not.

OR, you could do something even less frequent that tennis, for example you could aim to win gold in short track speed skating. I'm sure you could get the winter off one season, no matter the sport. And you could be the next Apollo Ono.

Old 06-25-2023, 07:32 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:

Must be nice to have the talent to be paid in two different professional sports.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:26 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
The other night, 27 June 2023, he hit two home runs and struck out ten against the White Sox.

From the MLB.com website that lists Ohtani's best games, so far:

"He became just the sixth player since 1900 to hit two homers in a game and strike out at least 10 batters."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-11-2023, 11:12 AM

In Seattle for the All-Star Game, Shohei Ohtani reiterated: "“Those feelings get stronger year by year,” Ohtani said through his interpreter Ippei Mizuhara. “It sucks to lose. [I want] to win.”

"As a free agent this winter, Ohtani is expected to sign the most lucrative contract in baseball history. The contract is expected to surpass $500 million,...."

I'll take two . . .

Old 07-22-2023, 09:00 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
In Seattle for the All-Star Game, Shohei Ohtani reiterated: "“Those feelings get stronger year by year,” Ohtani said through his interpreter Ippei Mizuhara. “It sucks to lose. [I want] to win.”

"As a free agent this winter, Ohtani is expected to sign the most lucrative contract in baseball history. The contract is expected to surpass $500 million,...."

I'll take two . . .
So does he get traded? Supposedly Moreno is now leaning towards at least listening to offers when before he was dead set against it.
Yankees supposed to be throwing their hat in the ring, I remember one of the reasons Ohtani initially refused them when he first came over was that they were firmly in the "pick one or the other" camp and he wanted to pitch and hit. I hope they've come around on that, as it would be a tragedy if he's forced to give up one or the other (probably would be kept as a pitcher).

Old 07-24-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
So does he get traded? Supposedly Moreno is now leaning towards at least listening to offers when before he was dead set against it.
Yankees supposed to be throwing their hat in the ring, I remember one of the reasons Ohtani initially refused them when he first came over was that they were firmly in the "pick one or the other" camp and he wanted to pitch and hit. I hope they've come around on that, as it would be a tragedy if he's forced to give up one or the other (probably would be kept as a pitcher).
Hard to say. If he goes elsewhere I expect him to at least stay in California on a hunch, my own hunch, that he'll want to live in a city with a decent Japanese-American population, and almost of of those cities are in California with L.A. leading the way.

Old 07-28-2023, 10:04 AM

On 27 July 2023 Ohtani pitched a complete game 1-hit shutout in the opening game of a double header then hit two HRs in the second game as the Angels swept a double-header from the Tigers to get within 3 games of a wildcard spot.

My morning feed from The Athletic says the Angels are now committed to making a stretch run for the playoffs by keeping Ohtani and shoring up their roster "... by acquiring starter Lucas Giolito and reliever Reynaldo López from the White Sox for catcher Edgar Quero (ranked the Angels’ No. 3 prospect by Keith Law before the season) and LHP Ky Bush (No. 4 — MLB.com had them ranked second and third at the time of the trade)."

Old 07-29-2023, 03:55 PM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
As amazing as Ohtani is, I'd like to see him do what he's doing for another 7-8 years.

Hermit likes longevity with consistency. I hope he stays healthy.

Old 07-29-2023, 06:35 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
As amazing as Ohtani is, I'd like to see him do what he's doing for another 7-8 years.

Hermit likes longevity with consistency. I hope he stays healthy.
Yeah, I wish the Japanese would allow their players to be drafted like other countries and not have to wait and put all those years in the Nippon Professional Baseball before being allowed to come over to the US.

I get it though, since the NPB doesn't want all of their best players to start playing in the US when they are teenagers and the Japanese fans never get to see them play in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball