Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 01:34 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times

Advertisements

Ohtani will miss his regular rotation starting pitcher assignment on 15 Aug due to "arm fatigue" but he's still the DH. I've been afraid of something like this. They say his arm isn't injured, just tired. Hard to imagine how any team would feel if they'd made a huge money offer for him before the trade deadline just to have this surprise land in their lap.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 09:05 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,447,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Ohtani will miss his regular rotation starting pitcher assignment on 15 Aug due to "arm fatigue" but he's still the DH. I've been afraid of something like this. They say his arm isn't injured, just tired. Hard to imagine how any team would feel if they'd made a huge money offer for him before the trade deadline just to have this surprise land in their lap.
Even if he was shut down for the rest of the season completely, that still means a guy who hit 41 HRs, batting over .300 while going 10-5 as a pitcher. Whatever team that got him would sleep just fine at night with that type of production. That's my guess.

Old 08-16-2023, 03:29 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Even if he was shut down for the rest of the season completely, that still means a guy who hit 41 HRs, batting over .300 while going 10-5 as a pitcher. Whatever team that got him would sleep just fine at night with that type of production. That's my guess.

Not exactly apples to apples here, but.. How'd that work out for the Nationals back in.. '12? When they shut Strasburg down for the season.

doesn't do you a whole lot of good to have a guy get you to the playoffs and then not have him available in them.

Old 08-24-2023, 09:24 AM

Bad news. NY Times is reporting this:

Quote:
Sad news from last night: Angels superstar Shohei Ohtani exited yesterday’s loss in the first inning with a dreaded torn UCL, yet another miserable reminder of how the Angels have faltered.

It’s unclear if Ohtani will need Tommy John surgery, and he is seeking a second opinion. He did hit his 44th home run of the year for good measure before leaving the game. But he's done pitching in 2023, and how the injury impacts his free agency — is he now just a DH next season? Worse? — remains to be seen.

There is also a frankly alarming apathy to this team with said free agency looming. The Angels are 10 games out of a Wild Card spot with 35 games to play.

I've been afraid that something like this could happen, that the magic would end . . .

FWIW: Babe Ruth's pitching career was essentially five years, (1915-1919, inclusively), when he pitched in 154 games for Boston. Shohei Otani's pitching career has existed for five years, (2018-2023, six years inclusively, but he did not pitch in 2019), when he pitched in 86 games for the Dodgers.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-24-2023 at 10:22 AM..

Old 08-24-2023, 12:30 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
Quote:
FWIW: Babe Ruth's pitching career was essentially five years, (1915-1919, inclusively), when he pitched in 154 games for Boston. Shohei Otani's pitching career has existed for five years, (2018-2023, six years inclusively, but he did not pitch in 2019), when he pitched in 86 games for the Dodgers.
I see what you're getting at, but I wouldn't necessarily disregard the 5 years Ohtani pitched in the Nippon Professional Baseball league. The guy has basically been pitching for 11 years (OK, 10 years if you subtract 2019).

He pitched in 92 games in Japan from 2013 to 2017. So if you add those to his 86 MLB games, he has now pitched 178 games.

Like I mentioned in a post further up in the thread, Ohtani's going to be 30 next year and I wish that Japan would allow their best players to get drafted by MLB when they are teens, but I know that will never happen.

Last edited by cjseliga; 08-24-2023 at 12:46 PM..

Old 08-25-2023, 08:38 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,447,228 times
Quote:
Bad news. NY Times is reporting this:

I've been afraid that something like this could happen, that the magic would end . . .

Yes, terrible news. My only reason for paying attention to baseball just ended.
As much as I the fan want him to continue as a two way player, I have to think that at age 30 and already being injury prone, the smart thing to do would be to focus on hitting the rest of the way through his career to prolong what he has left. Being the two way player he's been has clearly taken a tremendous toll on his body.

Old 08-26-2023, 07:34 AM

2,045 posts, read 788,024 times
My $20 says he'll never pitch again.

Old 08-26-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
My $20 says he'll never pitch again.
This is his 2nd time around with Tommy John surgery.

To make matters worse for the Angels, Mike Trout came off the Injured List -- and went right back on the I.L. after one game.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:12 AM

2,045 posts, read 788,024 times
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ls-explain-sat

I really hate when stars are injured ...

Mike Trout and Ohtani need to get away from that team. Them and the Padres, I don't get what the problem is ...

Last edited by Hermit12; 09-16-2023 at 08:22 AM..

Old 09-18-2023, 01:24 PM

Word today is Ohtani is done for the year and has cleaned out his locker. I hope he can recover from his injuries and return to play, he's been great to watch.

Yahoo is reporting:

Quote:
With nothing left for him this season beyond medical procedures, Shohei Ohtani has cleared out his locker with the Los Angeles Angels. Potentially for the final time.

The two-way superstar, who tore the UCL in his pitching arm last month, missed his 11th straight game Friday and it became clear after the game that he would miss more, as his locker was cleared out once reporters entered the clubhouse for postgame interviews.

Some of his things were even in the trash, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The next morning, the team announced that Ohtani is on the 10-day injured list with an oblique injury and will miss the rest of the season. General manager Perry Minasian finally elaborated on the story Saturday afternoon, telling reporters an MRI had revealed an issue with Ohtani's oblique on Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball