Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 08:56 PM

6,939 posts, read 3,771,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
IMHO, the Yankees team and org are the 4th best in the AL East.
That doesn't matter. The only thing that matters in the moment is getting to the wildcard game and even up the season series with the Sox 10-10 after an 0-7 start, that's it. It may happen , it may not, who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 06:42 AM

653 posts, read 785,630 times
I'm certainly hoping that the Yankees clinch a wild card spot, but GM Brian Cashman should've been fired a long time ago. The Yankees are always focused on adding more and more bats, but they never add a second starter to compliment their ace. They intend to have their starters go 5 innings and let the pen do the rest. This ain't 1996 when Mo and Wetteland were money out of the pen. Trade some of those bats for another top of the rotation starter and I'm sure they'll be better off. Great pitching will shut down even the best lineups. Fire Boone while you're at it.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
I'm certainly hoping that the Yankees clinch a wild card spot, but GM Brian Cashman should've been fired a long time ago. The Yankees are always focused on adding more and more bats, but they never add a second starter to compliment their ace. They intend to have their starters go 5 innings and let the pen do the rest. This ain't 1996 when Mo and Wetteland were money out of the pen. Trade some of those bats for another top of the rotation starter and I'm sure they'll be better off. Great pitching will shut down even the best lineups. Fire Boone while you're at it.
I've been calling for Cahman's head for about 3 years now. Not happening. He runs the show there, plain and simple. Also, he and Boone have one year left on their contracts. Neither are getting axed after this season, especially now given the circumstances. The bullpen has been lights out with reinforcements of Severino and Louisaga back. This team will go as far as Judge, Stanton, and the pen will take them. The Rays DO NOT want to face this group in the DS. It behooves them to play these 3 games in NY like it's the 7th game of the WS. I'll be at Saturdays game. Should be fun.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:42 AM

25,827 posts, read 12,868,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I've been calling for Cahman's head for about 3 years now. Not happening. He runs the show there, plain and simple. Also, he and Boone have one year left on their contracts. Neither are getting axed after this season, especially now given the circumstances. The bullpen has been lights out with reinforcements of Severino and Louisaga back. This team will go as far as Judge, Stanton, and the pen will take them. The Rays DO NOT want to face this group in the DS. It behooves them to play these 3 games in NY like it's the 7th game of the WS. I'll be at Saturdays game. Should be fun.
The Yankees payroll, is 4x that of the Rays, yet the Rays had a better regular season record this year, & went further in the playoffs last year. Considering the massive payroll gap, the Rays fare remarkably well against the Yankees & the Red Sox.

Imagine what the Rays would do the Yankees if the Rays had 4x as much to spend as the Yankees. MLB would have to implement the mercy-rule

The odds of small market teams winning it all w/ a fraction of the budget are low, but if it makes you feel good to pound your chest for having so much money to spend on a Tiffany's priced wild card contender, go for it. A better comparison dollar-for-dollar is the Yankees, and the Dodgers. The Yankees DO NOT want to face that blue crew in the series.

Every game the Rays win from here on out, is a small miracle. Every game the Yankees win from here out, is expected. The pressure is all on the Yankees. For the Yankees payroll, anything less than a World Series win is a huge waste of cash.

The Rays have a superior organization by far, look at the minor league farm system results at all levels. The Rays are building a WalMart like dynasty for years to come. The Yankees don't develop players like the Rays, so they have to spend BIG, just to compete.

Old 10-01-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The Yankees payroll, is 4x that of the Rays, yet the Rays had a better regular season record this year, & went further in the playoffs last year. Considering the massive payroll gap, the Rays fare remarkably well against the Yankees & the Red Sox.

Imagine what the Rays would do the Yankees if the Rays had 4x as much to spend as the Yankees. MLB would have to implement the mercy-rule

The odds of small market teams winning it all w/ a fraction of the budget are low, but if it makes you feel good to pound your chest for having so much money to spend on a Tiffany's priced wild card contender, go for it. A better comparison dollar-for-dollar is the Yankees, and the Dodgers. The Yankees DO NOT want to face that blue crew in the series.

Every game the Rays win from here on out, is a small miracle. Every game the Yankees win from here out, is expected. The pressure is all on the Yankees. For the Yankees payroll, anything less than a World Series win is a huge waste of cash.

The Rays have a superior organization by far, look at the minor league farm system results at all levels. The Rays are building a WalMart like dynasty for years to come. The Yankees don't develop players like the Rays, so they have to spend BIG, just to compete.
Sorry, I didn't mean to strike a nerve here.
Everyone already knows the economics situation in baseball, it's well versed and documented, is what it is. A fan is a fan. That's all they can do. The Dodgers and Yankees profit more than the Rays payroll so its not always a waste of cash. They would suffer at the gate if they didn't spend.
I have a lifetime invested in the team since the Horace Clark days when as a small child I mistook a rookie Thurman Munson as Herman Munster from my favorite show back then. I can't just jump ship and change.
Maybe the Rays will pull through and go all the way. Raise the roof! CHAMPA BAY!

Old 10-02-2021, 03:05 PM

Even though the Wal Mart Rays diffused the "Bronx Bombers" today 12-2, the Yanks should still get into the wild card game.

Wild Card teams have won it all before, so its too early to say if the Yanks trades will be enough, or not.

I dont think much of the Yanks front office though. Only the Mets front office is worse.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:12 AM

9,771 posts, read 7,487,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Gallo was a great pick up for them. They needed a left bat but I don't trust Boone to manage a teeball team much less a MLB team so I think he'll completely devalue Gallo by putting him in a worse position (LF) than where he should be playing (RF) but since Judge is the incumbent RF I guess you can't upset the apple cart in New York even if it makes your team worse (see A-Rod to 3b instead of Jeter in 2004).

The Rizzo trade makes absolutely no sense at all. Unless they are moving Voit and or find a team to take on Stanton's albatross how will these guys all play?? They now have like 60 players all competing for the 1b/DH/COF, and yes I'm including Gallo in that mix as well. Unlike Rizzo and Voit (1b/DH only), Gallo can actually play all 3 OF positions plus 1b & DH so it gives them more flexibility but still a dumb deal.

if I were a Yankee fan I'd be more worried about my p!$s poor starting rotation. Your $315 million "ace" has now given up 31 earned runs in his last 9 starts covering 59.2 innings since the calendar flipped to June and the foreign substance stuff got enforced. That's not good. Your current #2 starter in the ALDS (or #3 starter if they somehow pass the Rays & red Sox in the division) is currently on the DL either a Luis Severino who has made I think 5 starts since the end of the 2018 season and none in almost 2 years, or Corey Kluber who's made about 10 starts since May of 2019, so instead of cornering the market on 1b/DH/COF players I would've made a run at a SP or two.
Lets bump this, and see what happened.

Welp I almost nailed this on the head correctly. Only thing I whiffed on was Gallo being a "great" pickup for them. Bronxie the Turtle would've give them better and more productive at bats at the plate, but correctly nailed everything else including the part where Boone would devalue Gallo's defense by playing him at a worse position.

Old 10-06-2021, 06:41 AM

653 posts, read 785,630 times
Heads should roll in my native Bronx.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
The Rays wont have to face the Yankess afterall because the Yanks lost their Wild Card game to the Red Sox...season over for the Yankees.

I went back and looked it up the Rays/Yanks head-to-head records, and the Yankees would have had more to fear from the Rays than the other way around as you claimed.

The bargain basement Rays have owned the overpaid Yankees for the past 2 years 22 wins to just 12 losses. The Rays beat them in the regular season, destroyed them at Yankee stadium 13 Rays wins to just 5 Yankees wins, AND the Rays hold a 3-2 post season winning record against the Yankees overall.

mcubed.net : MLB : Series records : Tampa Bay Rays against New York Yankees

The Yankees payroll is FIVE TIMES that of the Rays, yet the Rays owned the Yankees the last 2 years. Even over the past 11 years, the Rays have been beating the Yankees steadily at over a .500 clip.

The Yanks had the advantage over the Rays in their early years, when the Devil Rays were a new expansion club, but those days are gone.

What does the future hold? The Rays organization had all 5 of their minor league teams make the playoffs. In the 3 levels of the minor leagues where the Rays and Yanks competed, the Rays had better records than the Yankees affiliates in all 3 levels.

At all levels, the Rays org is better than the Yankees organization, while spending 1/5th as much money.

Its time for heads to roll in the Yankees org, or for the Yanks to spend even more $ trying to beat the Rays.

Old 10-06-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
Heads should roll in my native Bronx.
You're right.
Social and over the air media commentary is blowing up on Cashman. Ownership is keen to that.
Cashman is a lame duck GM next year, they'll give him a one year ultimatum but I have a feeling they agree to respectfully part ways. The optimism built from 2017 never materialized. The 17 ALCS was cheated from them. Cole cheated them out of the 19 ALCS, but laid an egg for them. Turned out it was their best windows of opportunity. It's all over now. 24 years of Cashman is enough, it's time to rebuild the FO from the ground up. Start with Theo go from there. Maybe poach Rays FO. Maybe Billy Beane as Pres of Baseball Ops.
Steve Cohen will be the first to call Cashman. He remains in Darien CT.

The team doesn't need a blowup to start but a bunch of tweaks. Judge-Stanton need a better supporting cast.
Trade or non-tender Gallo and Sanchez in their final year of arbitration. No need paying them a combined 15M.
Torres gets one more shot at 2B
Re-sign Rizzo at their price and years only, no overpaying
Find a defensive SS stop gap for Anthony Volpe (MiLB Offensive player of the year, the kid rakes and 33 SBs to boot), maybe Andrelton Simmons
Defensive catcher
CF, For the love of God, move on from Gardner and Hicks already, a longer stopgap for Dominguez.
Sign a solid SP or two, not reclamation projects
Trade Chapman, make Loisiga and Severino closers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball