Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 10:04 PM

389 posts, read 399,385 times

Advertisements

The landscape of the AL East changed today. Yankees making moves that will complete their lineup and make them a major contender not only in their division but league as well. The Yankees got Joey Gallo and Anthony Rizzo.

With the addition of these two blockbuster names, Yankee fans will have every reason to go to the ballpark.

I wanted to ask what your thoughts on this are. How should teams in their division feel about this? Should teams start making moves to match this? Can you beat the Yankees lineup on paper?

They say hitting is contagious. So will the presence of the new additions help other batters turn their swing around?

Yankees jersey sales will obviously increase, plus revenue should as well for the franchise. But is it enough? Or will pitching still be an important factor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 10:38 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Gallo was a great pick up for them. They needed a left bat but I don't trust Boone to manage a teeball team much less a MLB team so I think he'll completely devalue Gallo by putting him in a worse position (LF) than where he should be playing (RF) but since Judge is the incumbent RF I guess you can't upset the apple cart in New York even if it makes your team worse (see A-Rod to 3b instead of Jeter in 2004).

The Rizzo trade makes absolutely no sense at all. Unless they are moving Voit and or find a team to take on Stanton's albatross how will these guys all play?? They now have like 60 players all competing for the 1b/DH/COF, and yes I'm including Gallo in that mix as well. Unlike Rizzo and Voit (1b/DH only), Gallo can actually play all 3 OF positions plus 1b & DH so it gives them more flexibility but still a dumb deal.

if I were a Yankee fan I'd be more worried about my p!$s poor starting rotation. Your $315 million "ace" has now given up 31 earned runs in his last 9 starts covering 59.2 innings since the calendar flipped to June and the foreign substance stuff got enforced. That's not good. Your current #2 starter in the ALDS (or #3 starter if they somehow pass the Rays & red Sox in the division) is currently on the DL either a Luis Severino who has made I think 5 starts since the end of the 2018 season and none in almost 2 years, or Corey Kluber who's made about 10 starts since May of 2019, so instead of cornering the market on 1b/DH/COF players I would've made a run at a SP or two.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:34 PM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times
WIidcard #2 isn't out of reach. You go from there
Who doesn't have rotaion issues

Last edited by SteveM85; 07-30-2021 at 05:45 PM..

Old 08-02-2021, 09:56 PM

64 posts, read 47,301 times
How bout them Os!?!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2021, 08:08 PM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrEeKlIfE08 View Post
How bout them Os!?!!!!!!!!!!!
They're lookin' good!!

Old 08-08-2021, 11:00 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post
The landscape of the AL East changed today. Yankees making moves that will complete their lineup and make them a major contender not only in their division but league as well. The Yankees got Joey Gallo and Anthony Rizzo.

With the addition of these two blockbuster names, Yankee fans will have every reason to go to the ballpark.

I wanted to ask what your thoughts on this are. How should teams in their division feel about this? Should teams start making moves to match this? Can you beat the Yankees lineup on paper?

They say hitting is contagious. So will the presence of the new additions help other batters turn their swing around?

Yankees jersey sales will obviously increase, plus revenue should as well for the franchise. But is it enough? Or will pitching still be an important factor?
Sunday morning 8/8/21, Rizzo has tested positive for COVID.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:58 AM

1,854 posts, read 795,024 times
Im glad it all happened

Old 09-25-2021, 07:31 PM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
The Yanks trades were not enough to win the AL East, because my Rays just clinched the AL East again this year...back to back baby, and for the 4th time in team history. This time the Rays clinched at home for the 1st time.

The Rays trade to get Nelson Cruz helped push them over the top, along with young guns Wander Franco, and Randy Arozarena. The Rays did it w/o ac Tyler Glasnow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker96 View Post

Old 09-26-2021, 12:03 AM

389 posts, read 399,385 times
Rougned Odor, in my opinion, should be starting in the infield.

Old 09-26-2021, 06:38 AM

25,724 posts, read 12,793,994 times
Yanks payroll ~$203M...almost 3 times that of the team that just won the Yanks Division...the Rays.

Rays payroll ~$70M

Totally hypothetical, but imagine the Yanks having to cut their payroll by 1/2 for 2022's season...what place do you think the Yanks would come in? Could they even finish in front of the Orioles?

The Yanks trades were not enough to win the division, but let's see where they are at this time next week. If they don't wind up in the ALCS, I'd say their front office needs a major shake-up for how poorly they make deals.

Also, the Yanks farm system is ranked 19th, so lots of ineptitude going around in the Big Apple:

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-farm-system-rankings

With a 19th ranked farm system, the front office MUST be able to make better deals than they have been making.

IMHO, the Yankees team and org are the 4th best in the AL East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball