Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2021, 03:23 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Reputation: 40736

Advertisements

I'm thinking make participation in the Field of Dreams game a perk for making it to the World Series, the winner of the Series would be home team in Iowa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2021, 07:03 AM
 
33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Reputation: 14946
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Who would ever think a movie would lead to the first major league baseball game being played in Iowa? Thank You Kevin Costner, I love the new Field Of Dreams, with the players emerging from the corn, fans entering thru a corn maze, original farm house still standing with a sea of corn surrounding the park, hot air balloon, primitive scoreboard and wood plank fence & John Deere advertising. Is this heaven? No it's Iowa baseball heaven, lol. Such a pleasure to host any MLB teams that wish to play here. I'm delighted at the thought of more teams playing at the Field Of Dreams. Perhaps several games could be played in August each year when the corn is best for viewing? Wish the seating capacity was more than 8K, which hurts the incentive for more teams play here.


Congrats to the White Sox in winning a close hard fought game, 9 to 8 against the Yankees, and to White Sox player Jose Abreu for hitting the first MLB home run in the state of Iowa. This was a great first game at the Field Of Dreams, very exciting. I hope to see the Cubs or Royals playing there someday.
Thank you for this post.

Seeing aerial photos over the last few weeks....I wondered what the maze was for.

When I tuned in (right before creating this thread), Costner was walking into a dugout, so I assumed he threw out the first pitch.

Unfortunately , I fell asleep when the Yankees were leading 3-1, and didn't wake up until after the game.

At least I got to experience some of the spirit/magic of the game .

I've been to the Field of Dreams (I just had to go there), and it was quite an enjoyable experience.

When I was there, Rita Ameskamp owned much/all of left field and center field.

In August of 2007, she sold her property to Don and Becky Lansing, who owned the rest of the field, the farmhouse, etc.

The Lansing Family later sold out to a partnership called Go The Distance Baseball, and I think that partnership still owns the property.

Given where the 8,000 seat stadium complex is located, I'm guessing that was part of Rita Ameskamp's land that she sold to Don and Becky Lansing.

I'm hoping there will eventually be a commercial disc (DVD or Blue-Ray) or download of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2021, 09:39 AM
 
33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Reputation: 14946
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm thinking make participation in the Field of Dreams game a perk for making it to the World Series, the winner of the Series would be home team in Iowa.

There's a video on ESPN.com of Costner seeing the 8,000 seat stadium (field with the dimensions of the White Sox's former Old Comiskey ) for the first time.


You could tell he loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2021, 11:51 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Reputation: 40736
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
There's a video on ESPN.com of Costner seeing the 8,000 seat stadium (field with the dimensions of the White Sox's former Old Comiskey ) for the first time.


You could tell he loved it.

I'm kind of a casual baseball fan (still enjoy the game but don't live or die with the performance of any particular team) and was surprised by how much I enjoyed this game. I think part of it may be due to that if you take away the Billion$ stadiums and granted we watched the best players there are, the game itself played in a cornfield in Iowa is the very same game most of us played as kids. Made the James Earl Jones speech about baseball being 'the one constant' come to life for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2021, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Iowa
3,320 posts, read 4,131,452 times
Reputation: 4616
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Thank you for this post.

Seeing aerial photos over the last few weeks....I wondered what the maze was for.

When I tuned in (right before creating this thread), Costner was walking into a dugout, so I assumed he threw out the first pitch.

Unfortunately , I fell asleep when the Yankees were leading 3-1, and didn't wake up until after the game.

At least I got to experience some of the spirit/magic of the game .

I've been to the Field of Dreams (I just had to go there), and it was quite an enjoyable experience.

When I was there, Rita Ameskamp owned much/all of left field and center field.

In August of 2007, she sold her property to Don and Becky Lansing, who owned the rest of the field, the farmhouse, etc.

The Lansing Family later sold out to a partnership called Go The Distance Baseball, and I think that partnership still owns the property.

Given where the 8,000 seat stadium complex is located, I'm guessing that was part of Rita Ameskamp's land that she sold to Don and Becky Lansing.

I'm hoping there will eventually be a commercial disc (DVD or Blue-Ray) or download of the game.
I set the DVR to record while I was at work, should have recorded this in full HD but the memory was nearly full, it still looked OK, but the corn looks so much better in full HD. I could not resist watching the last part live off the air, for the better picture quality. The next day they said the Field Of Dreams game drew higher ratings than any regular season game over the past 10 years, so a lot of people were drawn into the novelty/legacy of the movie, and not surprisingly, MLB says there will definitely be another game next year....AWESOME !!! It was nice to have the Yankees there in the first game, the most identifiable team in MLB gives it a boost. I bet there were a lot of people from Chicago there, as Dyersville is only about 30 miles from the Illinois border, and closer to Chicago than Des Moines.

Noticed a couple of White Sox players could not resist the temptation of sampling some of the corn, not knowing it was field/feed corn, they spit it out. I guess they didn't plant sweet corn because everyone would pick it going thru the corn maze, and eat it at the game, which would cut into concession stand profits. Really, they should give out sweet corn so we can see the audience chewing on corn while they watch the game, and players in the dugout eating corn too, it would add atmosphere, give them free butter and get them all greasy faced and ready for some baseball. The fans could throw cobs to show displeasure for a player or umpire that made a bad call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2021, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Here or There
5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Reputation: 2248
Ended up being the best ratings for a Major League regular season game in 16 years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ox/8130766002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2021, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Iowa
3,320 posts, read 4,131,452 times
Reputation: 4616
Holy Cow!

Next year the Cubs will play the Reds on Thurs, August 11th at the Field Of Dreams. So far this year the Reds are doing much better than usual, and Cubs much worse, Reds are 13 games up on the Cubs in the NL Central. Reds might spoil it for the Cubs next year at Field Of Dreams.

May the corn be with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2021, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,114 posts, read 2,346,441 times
Reputation: 3063
This was a terrific idea that MLB had. I also liked that tickets were only sold to people with Iowa rea codes, so that the scalpers couldn't jump in and scoop up all of the tickets.

Nice change, given the abomination of the All Star uniforms that looked like a fourth grade art project. One of the great things about the All Star Game is seeing all of the players in their own uniforms, and MLB even took that away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2021, 03:35 PM
 
2,452 posts, read 1,683,407 times
Reputation: 5798
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
This was a terrific idea that MLB had. I also liked that tickets were only sold to people with Iowa rea codes, so that the scalpers couldn't jump in and scoop up all of the tickets.

Nice change, given the abomination of the All Star uniforms that looked like a fourth grade art project. One of the great things about the All Star Game is seeing all of the players in their own uniforms, and MLB even took that away.
LOL, yea it let the people of Iowa scalp them for 10X what they paid for them.

I would have loved to go but wasn't paying $3000+ for a ticket. From my understanding the Yankees and White Sox each got 1500 tickets and the residents of Iowa got the remaining 5000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2021, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,114 posts, read 2,346,441 times
Reputation: 3063
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
LOL, yea it let the people of Iowa scalp them for 10X what they paid for them.
I had much rather the money go to a local family than to Ticket Master or Stub Hub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top