Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 05:30 PM

33,652 posts, read 12,839,133 times

Advertisements

The White Sox are the home team, and Lance Lynn is pitching.

The Yankees are the visiting team

Lynn just gave up a lead off single to LaMahieu on a 3-2 count, and then struck out Gardner.

Judge is up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 09:34 PM

3,322 posts, read 4,161,110 times
Who would ever think a movie would lead to the first major league baseball game being played in Iowa? Thank You Kevin Costner, I love the new Field Of Dreams, with the players emerging from the corn, fans entering thru a corn maze, original farm house still standing with a sea of corn surrounding the park, hot air balloon, primitive scoreboard and wood plank fence & John Deere advertising. Is this heaven? No it's Iowa baseball heaven, lol. Such a pleasure to host any MLB teams that wish to play here. I'm delighted at the thought of more teams playing at the Field Of Dreams. Perhaps several games could be played in August each year when the corn is best for viewing? Wish the seating capacity was more than 8K, which hurts the incentive for more teams play here.

Congrats to the White Sox in winning a close hard fought game, 9 to 8 against the Yankees, and to White Sox player Jose Abreu for hitting the first MLB home run in the state of Iowa. This was a great first game at the Field Of Dreams, very exciting. I hope to see the Cubs or Royals playing there someday.

Last edited by mofford; 08-12-2021 at 10:01 PM..

Old 08-12-2021, 10:11 PM

26,343 posts, read 49,357,265 times
Great game, love the way it ended.

I think a Cubs / White Sox game there next year would be cool to see.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-13-2021, 06:42 AM

9,574 posts, read 7,429,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

I think a Cubs / White Sox game there next year would be cool to see.
Even though they are taking down all the temporary seating and putting it into storage near the site, I heard if they do another game next year or sometime in the future, it would most likely be a Cardinals/Cubs game!

I was thinking about other movie "tie-ins" they can do, but War Memorial Stadium, where they filmed The Natural, was torn down 30 years ago.

The Historic Durham Athletic Park is still in existence, where they filmed Bull Durham, and they can easily host an MLB game there, if they upgrade the lights and clubhouses.

The Sandlot, was filmed in an empty field in a neighborhood in Utah, but was set in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles.

I think having the Little League MLB game in Williamsport and the Field of Dreams MLB game in Iowa each year is a good idea.

Last edited by cjseliga; 08-13-2021 at 06:52 AM..

Old 08-13-2021, 06:44 AM

4,948 posts, read 4,285,849 times
I'm not even much of a baseball fan and I thought the whole thing was really cool!

I think they should do an annual game there. It needs to stay "special" but be something more people can look forward to.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:21 AM

18,282 posts, read 26,029,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Agreed! One heck of a finish!

Field Of Dreams isn't my all time favorite sports movie but I have a dvd on it and I've watched it a few times over the years. I'm kind of a sentimentalist kind of guy anyway. Comes from being 70. One thing about the movie--it involves three iconic actors from three decades; Burt Lancaster, James Earl Jones, and Kevin Costner.

Loved those White Sox uniforms!

Old 08-13-2021, 08:12 AM

13,711 posts, read 20,886,866 times
Great idea and a great game. Fantastic ending.

Make it a yearly event.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:12 AM

3,322 posts, read 4,161,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I'm not even much of a baseball fan and I thought the whole thing was really cool!

I think they should do an annual game there. It needs to stay "special" but be something more people can look forward to.
Wished I could have been there to see it, had to work but was thinking how nice it would have been to buzz up there on the motorcycle and see the game last night, but then this morning they said the ticket price was $1400. Yep, that will keep it "special", lol. So even at 8K seating capacity, this was quite profitable for everyone involved. Lots of startup costs involved, the lighting, the wood planks for the fencing, the balloon & drone, the corn choreography was amazing and it will pay off again this fall at harvest time. Yes, the corn danced last night. I'm happy the White Sox won, because of the Shoeless Joe Jackson thing and tie to the movie.

Old 08-13-2021, 11:59 AM

68,410 posts, read 54,725,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Great idea and a great game. Fantastic ending.

Make it a yearly event.

Absolutely! Enjoyed the whole show!

Somehow it just seemed 'right', like it was meant to be.

I believe it will be an annual event. Maybe a game between the previous year's World Series participants would be interesting?

Old 08-13-2021, 03:09 PM

1,465 posts, read 631,499 times
I thought it was really cool, something that can be unique to MLB.

Maybe have a three game series out there annually?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball