Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 11:45 PM

9,766 posts, read 7,487,391 times

Advertisements

Thursday scores: Dodgers sweep the Padres win 8-3, Yankees beat the Blue Jays 6-2, Giants walk off the D'Backs 5-4, Red Sox lose the series to the Orioles with a 2-6 loss in the finale in Baltimore, Astros beat the Rays 3-2, and Braves beat the Phillies 5-3.

AL West: Astros win the division with the win this evening.
AL home field: Rays have officially locked up home field throughout the ALCS, while the Astros have a magic number of 1 for home field in their DS vs. the White Sox.
AL Wildcard: Yankees magic number to clinch the home game in the Wildcard drops to 2, Toronto's elimination number drops to 3, and the Mariners and Red Sox tie each other for the second Wildcard spot.

NL West: Giants magic number drops to 2
NL East: Braves have officially clinched the NL east, and officially eliminated the Phillies from the playoffs joining the Reds, Padres, Mets, Rockies, Cubs, Marlins, Nats, Pirates, and D'Backs in NL postseason extinction.

Not a lot of important series to conclude the season: Astros hosting the A's, Giants hosting the Padres, Toronto hosting the Orioles, Boston in Washington, Yankees at home vs. the Rays, White Sox playing the Tigers at home, Seattle hosting the Angels, and the Dodgers hosting the Brewers.

Clinching scenario's for Friday: Astros clinch home field in the ALDS with a win OR White Sox loss.
Yankees clinch a playoff spot AND home field in the Wildcard game with a win AND losses by the Mariners and Red Sox.
Giants win the NL West with a win AND a Dodgers loss.

Playoff seeds:
AL #1: Tampa Bay Rays
NL #2: Milwaukee Brewers
NL #3: Atlanta Braves. Braves vs. Brewers will be 1 NLDS series.
NL #5: St. Louis Cardinals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 09:55 AM

25,816 posts, read 12,868,345 times
On paper, the Dodgers, Giants, Astros, & Rays look the strongest, but MLB is so unpredictable, any team that gets to the playoffs can win it all. Its a matter ofo who gets hot, and who wins the close games.

Old 10-01-2021, 11:23 PM

I really think the Brewers/Braves winner is in a good spot. I don't think they will win in 1 game, but it's not like the Dodgers have had much successful at all in playoff series against the Cardinals the last 10 years, but even if the Dodgers win that 1 game, that series vs. San Fran is destined to go 4 or 5 games, maybe throw in a couple extra inning games as well, and those teams will beat each other up over a likely 12 round fight. The Rays have CRUSHED the Yankees like a pinata at a kid's school party the last 2 years, but that's a team I do not want to play in the playoffs if I were them. I think Blue Jays, matchup wise, are a bigger problem but they are just so bad at Trop in their history that I'm actually hoping I sweep the Yanks this weekend, the Jays sweep the O's, and then the Jays win a playoff game on Monday. I'd also take my chances on the Red Sox or Mariners (I pay no attention to those season series numbers because they played two series over like a week span back in like May or June. I'll make my predictions later next week, but right now (at 1:23 AM on October 2), I'll go off the grid somewhat and go Milwaukee vs. Dodgers in the NLCS and Yankees vs. White Sox in the ALCS and Milwaukee vs. Yankees in the World Series with the Yankees winning, but official picks coming on Wednesday Night/Thursday morning afternoon after the Wildcard games are decided/

Old 10-02-2021, 12:29 AM

Friday scores: Astros lose to the A's 6-8, Giants shut out the Padres 3-0, Blue Jays survive a late Baltimore rally to beat the O's 6-4, Boston beats Washington 4-2, Yankees lose to Tampa 3-4, White Sox beat the Tigers 8-1, Mariners lose to the Angels 1-2, and the Dodgers beat the Brewers 8-6.

AL West: Astros locked up the division yesterday, so they are coming off the board.
AL Wildcard: Boston's magic number goes to 2, while both Seattle and Toronto see their elimination number fall to 2 as both are tied a game off the pace.
AL Home Field: Yankees still with a magic number of 2 to clinch a playoff spot and home field in the Wildcard game, while the Astros magic number for home field in their DS stays at 1.

NL West:
Giants magic number drops to 1, as the worst that will happen now is them & the Dodgers palying Monday night in San Francisco for the division.
NL East: Braves clinched the division yesterday, and since as mentioned the NL West winner is hosting throughout the playoffs, with the Brewers having HFA against the Braves in their series, the only NL scenario I'm leaving on the board after today is the NL West.

Clinching scenario's for Saturday:
Same as Friday except a minor alterations and an addition.

Astros clinch home field against the White Sox in the ALDS with a win OR White Sox loss.
Yankees clinch a Wildcard with a win OR losses by Toronto & Seattle.
Yankees clinch home field in the Wildcard game with a win AND a loss by Boston.
Boston clinches a playoff spot with a win AND losses by BOTH Seattle & Toronto.
Giants clinch the NL West (the final division still in play) with a win OR Dodgers loss.
Note: Giants have clinched no worse then a tiebreaker for the NL West, Yankees have clinched no worse than a tiebreaker for the Wildcard, and Boston will clinch no worse than a tiebreaker for the Wildcard should they win on Saturday (or if Toronto and Seattle both lose).

Playoff seeds haven't changed:
AL #1: Tampa Bay Rays
NL #2: Milwaukee Brewers
NL #3: Atlanta Braves (will play @ Brewers in 1 NLDS series)
NL #5: St. Louis Cardinals.

Old 10-02-2021, 12:39 PM

1,859 posts, read 802,443 times
hopefully the yankees make it in

Old 10-02-2021, 02:55 PM

25,816 posts, read 12,868,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shhon View Post
hopefully the yankees make it in
The Rays just waxed the "Bronx Bombers" 12-2 today, & outhit the "Bombers" 18-4.

What a beat down, by a team that makes 1/4th as much cash as the Yanks.

I think the Yanks will get into the wild card game, but geez, with that payroll, the fans should be very disappointed that they failed to win the AL East again.

Old 10-02-2021, 08:32 PM

1,859 posts, read 802,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The Rays just waxed the "Bronx Bombers" 12-2 today, & outhit the "Bombers" 18-4.

What a beat down, by a team that makes 1/4th as much cash as the Yanks.

I think the Yanks will get into the wild card game, but geez, with that payroll, the fans should be very disappointed that they failed to win the AL East again.

Old 10-02-2021, 11:26 PM

Saturday scores: Astros beat the A's 10-4, Giants lose in extras to the Padres 2-3, Blue Jays rout the Orioles 10-1, Boston beat Washington 5-3, Rays waxed the Yankees 12-2, White Sox beat the Tigers 5-4, Dodgers beat the Brewers 8-3, and the Mariners came back to defeat the Angels 6-4.

Where that left us after Saturday:
Only thing clinched Saturday was the Astros home field in the ALDS, so we have our official second-series pairing: The #3 seed in the AL, the Central champions White Sox playing the #2 seed in the AL, the West champs the Houston Astros.

What stakes that leaves us for Sunday:
BOTH AL Wildcards: You get to pick 2 out of 4 between: Seattle, Toronto, Boston & the Yankees. Who are you picking??
NL West division and subsequent NL Wildcard #1.

NL west is easy, the AL Wildcard is confusing, so let's get the easy one out of the way first. Same scenario on Sunday that was in play on Saturday: the Giants win the division with a win OR Dodgers loss. IF the Giants lose AND Dodgers win, they'll play a tiebreaker game on Monday in San Francisco for the division.

Now the cooky stuff, the AL Wildcard:
It's easy for both the Yankees and Red Sox: Win your games Sunday and you are IN. Both teams will also make it in if Toronto and Seattle both lose. That's the easy part, now let's run through different scenario's:

A) Boston & New York have the same result (i.e both win or both lose) AND Seattle and Toronto both lose:
No tiebreaker neccessary, both will be Wild Card teams. Boston won the season series 10-9, so they'll host the game on Tuesday evening.

B) Boston wins, Yankees lose, Toronto wins and Seattle loses:
Boston will be the first Wildcard, Seattle would be eliminated and Yankees will play @ Toronto on Monday in a tiebreaker game (because Toronto won the season series like 11-8 or 12-7), and the winner goes to Boston to play the Sox on Tuesday.

C) Boston wins, Yankees lose, Toronto loses and Seattle wins:
Basically same as option B above except the Blue jays would be eliminated in this case, and the Yankees would host the Mariners in this case since they won their season series I believe 4-3 and the winner goes to Boston.

D) Boston loses, Yankees win, Toronto loses and Seattle wins:
Same basic scenario's as options B & C except the Yankees would be the #1 Wildcard and would host the game on Tuesday night. Blue Jays would be eliminated, Mariners would play a tiebreaker game @ Boston (Red Sox won season series 4-3) with the winner going to the Bronx on Tuesday.

E) Boston loses, Yankees win, Toronto wins, and Seattle loses:
Same as D with the Yankees getting WC #1, Toronto would play a tiebreaker at Boston since the Red Sox won that season series, with the winner traveling down to Boston. Now, who wants to get crazy??

F) Boston loses, Yankees lose, Toronto loses, Seattle wins:
Toronto is eliminated, that's the easy part. The 3 teams would each pick an "A", B" and C" designation, with the team with the best record picking first, second picking next, and the 3rd is left with what's left. Club A hosts club B, with the winner getting 1 Wildcard spot, with the loser traveling to Club C and the winner of that is the 2nd Wildcard, and then those 2 winners play in the Wildcard game which would be pushed back. Red Sox had the best record followed by the Yankees, and then the Jays

G) Boston loses, Yankees lose, Toronto wins, Seattle loses:
Seattle is eliminated in this case, but the same A, B, C designations take place. Red Sox would have first pick, Toronto would pick next, and the Yankees would get stuck with whatever's left.

H) Boston wins, Yankees lose, Toronto wins, Seattle wins.
Boston is the first Wildcard. Yankees, Toronto, and Seattle choose designations again except this time the loser of that A/B game is eliminated and the WINNER hosts team C. Toronto has the better record so they pick first, Yankees pick second, and Seattle gets what's left.

I) Boston loses, Yankees win, Toronto wins, Seattle wins.
Same as H above with the exception the Yankees are the first Wildcard; Red Sox would pick first since they have the superior record, Toronto picks next, and Seattle gets what's left.

J) Boston & Yankees both lose, Seattle and Toronto both win:
Here's another "A", "B", C" and "D" designation; A plays at home and plays team B, while team C hosts the game against team D. The team with the highest winning percentage in games involving those teams would pick their designation 1st, the next highest would pick 2nd, 3rd would choose whichever road game they'd rather play and then the 4th team would be left with whatever road game is left: Boston had the best record in these games followed by Toronto, New York and finally Seattle. Those 2 winners would meet on Tuesday.

I think I covered everything possible

Edit: I'm picking the Yankees and Toronto for the AL Wildcard.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:18 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,349,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
J) Boston & Yankees both lose, Seattle and Toronto both win:
Here's another "A", "B", C" and "D" designation; A plays at home and plays team B, while team C hosts the game against team D. The team with the highest winning percentage in games involving those teams would pick their designation 1st, the next highest would pick 2nd, 3rd would choose whichever road game they'd rather play and then the 4th team would be left with whatever road game is left: Boston had the best record in these games followed by Toronto, New York and finally Seattle. Those 2 winners would meet on Tuesday.
Scenario "J" is the craziest, if there is a 4-way tie for the 2 wildcard spots, I don't see that happening, but you never know!

Old 10-03-2021, 09:16 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Scenario "J" is the craziest, if there is a 4-way tie for the 2 wildcard spots, I don't see that happening, but you never know!

It certainly makes the last day of the season interesting which is the whole point of having two wildcard teams.

Personally, I'm rooting for Tampa Bay today. Chris Sale pitches the Red Sox into the Wildcard home game on Wednesday while there is a 3-way play-in that involves a road trip to Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball