Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 02:42 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
On paper at least, the Dodgers should rip through Atlanta like General Sherman.
Helped along by the performance a 2021 payroll that is roughly $120 million higher can help secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 07:35 AM

30,189 posts, read 11,833,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I think I'm like 1-8 so far. And usually I'd work this to my advantage and put a hex over a team I don't like but I don't even like any of these 4 teams left, so I can't even do that .

Astros over Red Sox in 6. Who says cheaters never win?? This is actual proof cheaters prosper! And if the manager is only going to get a 60 game suspension, what's stopping other teams from using apple watches to steal signs or banging trash cans??
They are probably both cheating again, why not? At the very least both should have had their WS championships voided.

Quote:
I'll go Dodgers over Astros in 6 for my new World Series pick.....for now.
Its time for your luck to turn around. Go Dodgers!

Old 10-17-2021, 04:23 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 2 days ago)

52,706 posts, read 48,001,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Great to see Braves move on. While they have had a few playoff runs in a row, its a pleasure to watch one of my favorite players on a rival roster, Freddie Freeman, move on. He handled the rebuild with 100% class, never wavering from his consistent, top tier performance.
Not only that, but they actually got home field in the NLCS over an L.A. team which had a better regular-season record (and not the division). And although home-field advantage hasn't meant all that much in recent years, it could still pay off if the Braves can advance.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:03 AM

25,812 posts, read 12,868,345 times
Quote:
On paper, I give the Dodgers an edge, but not to the extent you do.

The Dodgers have a HUGE payroll, Atlanta doesn't. Market size influences this, & the owners.

The Braves are without their pitching staff ace Mike Soroka, & their #1 position player, & 2020 MVP candidate Ronald Acuna, and 2020 MVP candidate Marcel Ozuna.

The Dodgers are w/o Clayton Kershaw, 2020 MVP candidate Trevor Bauer, & Max Muncy.

Dodgers have the advantage in missing players. Dodgers are missing a lot, but the Braves are missing even more.

If you go position by position, the Braves infield has the edge, but the Dodgers OF has the edge.

Starting pitching is close, but I'd give the Dodgers the edge, here and in relief pitching.

Catchers...advantage Dodgers.

Bench..I'm not sure. I dont know the Dodger that well. Atlanta's bench is a "C-".

Braves won game #1, so for now, General Sherman hasn't ripped through anything.

I think for the Braves to have a chance to win the series, they must win today's game to go up 2-0.

If the Braves lose today's game, I think the Dodgers take it.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:59 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
Quote:
Astros over Red Sox in 6. Who says cheaters never win?? This is actual proof cheaters prosper! And if the manager is only going to get a 60 game suspension, what's stopping other teams from using apple watches to steal signs or banging trash cans??

I'm pretty sure Alex Cora manages the Red Sox these days. LOL

In my opinion, Alex Cora will conclude that MLB doesn't want a cheating scandal in a series with the spotlight on Houston so the Red Sox pitching staff will be using banned substances to get a better grip on the ball. That brings the pitching staff from awful to good enough to win the ALCS which is how the staff was in May/June before MLB cracked down on it. Spider Tack at Fenway > banging on trash cans.

Life looks good for Fenway Sports Group. Liverpool is one point behind Chelsea at the top of the table and doing well in Champions League.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:32 AM

6,934 posts, read 3,766,904 times
Quote:
I am now a Braves fan for the rest of the season. Just from the process of elimination.

These people make too much of the payroll stuff. That's old news now. These teams are all analytic driven now. The league is basically a bunch of GM puppetmasters pulling strings now. It's like fantasy baseball for GMs with their analytic nerds feeding them data. Everyones looking at their little cheatsheets.

Old 10-17-2021, 12:44 PM

25,812 posts, read 12,868,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I am now a Braves fan for the rest of the season. Just from the process of elimination.

These people make too much of the payroll stuff. That's old news now. These teams are all analytic driven now. The league is basically a bunch of GM puppetmasters pulling strings now. It's like fantasy baseball for GMs with their analytic nerds feeding them data. Everyones looking at their little cheatsheets.
There's a strong, but far from absolute, correlation between salary & wins. The Rays & A's are outliers.

Most of the top paying teams made it at least to a wild card berth.

The wild seperation in pay makes it really hard for some to compete. When the top teams make 5 times more, that is very hard to deal with. If it were only twice as much, I wouldnt make such a big deal out of it.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

Old 10-17-2021, 05:45 PM

6,934 posts, read 3,766,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
There's a strong, but far from absolute, correlation between salary & wins. The Rays & A's are outliers.

Most of the top paying teams made it at least to a wild card berth.

The wild seperation in pay makes it really hard for some to compete. When the top teams make 5 times more, that is very hard to deal with. If it were only twice as much, I wouldnt make such a big deal out of it.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/
While valid, none of this is new information. Everyone knows this.
It took the Dodgers 32 years to finally win another series. The KC Royals have the same amount of rings as the Dodgers in the past decade. The Yankees have 0 WS appearnaces in the past decade, granted they were cheated out in 2017 and again by Cole in 2019, but zero is zero. I'm not sure the Nats and Cubs payroll standings when they won. Boston is either in last place or they win the WS. They just flat out know how to win in October plain and simple.
Go Braves! wooa whaahh wooa whaahh

Old 10-17-2021, 09:38 PM

34,075 posts, read 17,119,181 times
Quote:

Sherman is not doing as well in 2021.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:02 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,887,457 times
Being a lifelong Dodgers fan and HATE that stupid chop thing the Braves do, yell at the television set I did. AAARRRGGGHH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball